In stock K8WE Dual nforce4 dual opteron board 2x 16xPci-E

Haven't seen it cheaper yet... I like Monarch. They keeps fairly competitive on their pricing and have great support if you e-mail them w/ questions.

ajb21 said:
ATACOM has it cheaper

So does provantage [but not in stock.. baaah] for $485, bluebonepc.com for $468, as well as costcentral for $456

Monarch is almost a full $100 more because they actually HAVE it?

Nasty_Savage said:
not to mention dual optis :eek:

That's right, $800+ for each processor!
Woot, so the total so far is:

$570 for motherboard
$800x2 for Opteron 252's
$500x2 for 6800 Ultra's
$200x4 for 1gb registered dimms

~$4000 for a couple more FPS :)!!!

starbuck8968 said:

$570 for motherboard
$800x2 for Opteron 252's
$500x2 for 6800 Ultra's

More like:

$570 for motherboard
$350 for an opteron 150 (good enough for just gaming)
$500 x 1 for Geforce 6800U
$225 for 1GB of ecc registered dimms

for a kickass gaming box.

When you decide you want to do more, you have a great upgrade path.
1 -> possibly 8 cores
1 -> 2 video cards (at second 6800U later)
2 -> 8 ram sticks (need 2nd process for more than 4)
pci-x scsi or sata2 controllers for additional storage without the pci bus bandwidth limits.

When dual core opterons come out, I might upgrade my system with this board and dual core opties.
However, I think I'll start with 1x 6600gt and upgrade to 2 later since I'm not that big a gamer.
Hopefully I can sell the comparable parts from my system and not spend too much.
But I know as soon as dual cores come out, my CPU's and probably mobo won't be worth much.

starbuck8968 said:
$570 for motherboard
$800x2 for Opteron 252's
$500x2 for 6800 Ultra's

Filing bankruptcy before I have to pay my credit cards .. priceless. :D

Zamboni said:
$316 for 2 x Opteron 140
$120 for 1GB ECC. http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=357

That's PC2700, I'm sure that you'd want PC3200. Also, having 4 sticks helps performance since each processor has its own memory controller, you have the potential of 4 channel memory. Of course, its not exactly the same, but your Sandra scores will be pretty amazing :)

We have a slightly older Tyan board in our labs, the S2882, with 2 248's right now and its pretty darn fast. Of course its no gaming machine since there is no AGP, but obviously that's not what its used for ;)I might try and persuade my managers to get this one though :)

starbuck8968 said:

$570 for motherboard
$800x2 for Opteron 252's
$500x2 for 6800 Ultra's

Lesse...so far

$450 for motherboard (waiting on shipping)
$359 for 6800 GT (not going to bother with SLI since they don't support dual monitors yet)
$380 for 2 GB OCZ PC 3200 (4x 512MB)
$120 for Audigy 2 ZS Plat
$59 for Plex 16x

Anticipate

$510 for 2x Opt 246s, maybe $200 more for 2x 250
$175 for case
$185 for SLI PSU
$300 good watercooling setup
$300 for RAID 0 Raptors
$40ish for various other stuff

So $2900. A bit more than a cheap OC'd gaming rig, but given this actually passes work-related test for me after-tax it's actually cheaper and has a much longer usable life once I start upgrading things.

starbuck8968 said:
That's PC2700, I'm sure that you'd want PC3200. Also, having 4 sticks helps performance since each processor has its own memory controller, you have the potential of 4 channel memory. Of course, its not exactly the same, but your Sandra scores will be pretty amazing :)

We have a slightly older Tyan board in our labs, the S2882, with 2 248's right now and its pretty darn fast. Of course its no gaming machine since there is no AGP, but obviously that's not what its used for ;)I might try and persuade my managers to get this one though :)

My managers are on to me. There's no way I'd be able to sneak this in.

I was trying to lowball the initial system price, and PC3200 ECC Registered sticks seem to be rare and expensive. Mass quantities of 256MB sticks seemed the cheapest way to activate the memory channels. Hopefully, the extra channels would more make up for the slower memory speed.

Nasty_Savage said:
Opteron Dually Nforce4 based chipset is called nForce Professional ;)

Check the block diagram, this actually has two chipsets, each one providing the x16 slots. And these are actual x16 for both slots, not a x8/x8 in SLI configuration like the SLI boards.
This is a comparison with other SLI boards, the thing is that you don't get much extra performance out of it, hence my first post. But I'm sure when Geforce 7 SLI-SLI (2 cores x 2) graphics are out the x16 will help.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_nforce4_sli_roundup/

Hence I said BASED. Its intended as a dually workstation board with SLI capability. Its not directly nForce4 since optis are 940 pin. I doubt you'll see much value other then e-pecker points unless you're developing the next Lord of the Rings CGI scenes on it. As a game rig, I doubt you'll see any benefit at all. After about a year or so when the dual core chips start becoming more mainstream and low in price, you'll see more multithreaded apps and the machine you just plunked all your jack on today will be yesterday's news :D

Back