In search of a new case

KoolDrew

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently I own an Antec Super Lanboy. Originally it was fine since I was running onboard video, a micro ATX motherboard, air cooling, one hard drive etc. However, that was years ago and I currently have three hard drives, a full size motherboard, an HD 4890, a Corsair TX750 with much longer cables, and with plans on adding more later on. My rig is not really high end by any means IMO, but it's definitely cramped in the case I have now, routing cables sucks and it's just a pain to work with and doesn't allow for much expansion at all.

So I've been looking around at new cases with a bit more room. I plan on the case lasting me a few years so I'm willing to spend a bit more on a quality case as long as it is reasonable. Dust filters are a must, must have plenty of room for long video cards, routing options for cables, easy to work with, somewhat decent looking (my preference over the years have shifted towards more minimalistic looks), great air cooling performance, but would like the option of water cooling. A window would be nice, but not a requirement.

I've been looking around and the HAF X seems descent except it looks absolutely horrible. The ATCS 840 looks descent. So does the 800D, but price is definitely up there for that one. Any other cases I should be looking at?

... (my preference over the years have shifted towards more minimalistic looks)...

Water isn't really a wonderful option for it, but Silverstone's FT02 will give you the minimalistic looks. I'd also check out some Lian Li cases, like their 60FNWX/7FNWX coupled with T-LM25B-1 top cover. I would like to add, if you're sure about going water, then you might as well go with the 800D. I got a little confused because you asked for great air cooling, but with the option to watercool. 800D is meh with air compared to the cases I mentioned, but probably one of the best (along with the TJ07) when it comes to water.

That's what I've been seeing while looking at some full tower cases - while they are great for water cooling, air cooling is usually better with smaller cases. I'm kind of on the fence about the whole watercooling thing though. I've messed with it in the past, but it was a cheap Thermaltake kit that performed worse than my air cooling setup, and ever since then I've wanted to build a loop actually worth having. Then again, I fit that kit in my Lanboy case, so I might even be fine with just a large mid tower case and not need something as large as the 800D. I'll definitely take a look at the suggestions you've given me. I've seen the FT02 but don't know how I feel about the design (it might just be that it's "different"), and I've always liked Lian Li cases.

Last edited:
Another +1 to the FT02. I'm doing a CPU only loop in mine this weekend (currently flushing out the rad and cleaning other parts).

I've been really pleased with my HAF-X, it's a big case but coolings excellent and fairly quite (Larger Fans Lower RPM). If you like the look it's worth the money, I paid just under $200.00 CDN. Also has exceptional Cable maintenance Features.

Currently I own an Antec Super Lanboy.

I own one also...

speaker_pcix_07.jpg

speaker_pcix_09.jpg

Q6600 / 9800GTX / 10 hdd's ~9TB

OP you might want to check out the new Corsair 600T. It's a mesh front mid size case coming out in September for ~$150 with the same cable management as the 800/700D. There is a thread in this sub forum about it and info on their site. It's the case I'm waiting for. Currently have a Centurion 5.

I must say the more I keep looking at the FT02, the more I like it. While it is different, everything about it makes sense. This just might be my new case.

Check out that Fractal Design Define R2 case. I kind of wish I had bought that instead of a cm 690II.

Back