In need of a decent and cheap GB NIC

Farva

Extremely [H]
I am in need of purchasing a GB NIC, but I don't want to spend more than $20 (best if under $15). I would love to have another Linksys EG1032 v2, but that is nearly $30 after shipping. I am in need of something that is reliable and has some quality to it.

The Intel PRO/1000 series is generally considered to be a very good network card (I have 2). Unfortunately, it retails for around $30 (not including shipping). However, I still mention it because you can usually pick one up on ebay for around $20 if you're willing to go that route.

I was looking at that one, but wasn't sure of the quality as I have never used them. Any reason to not go with it? I know of Trendnet, but never used, or heard of their quality, any of their products.

Earp said:
The Intel PRO/1000 series is generally considered to be a very good network card (I have 2). Unfortunately, it retails for around $30 (not including shipping). However, I still mention it because you can usually pick one up on ebay for around $20 if you're willing to go that route.

Yes, I know they are good cards but somewhat more than what I wanted to spend, hence why I was avoiding it.

The Linksys is based on the Marvell PCI chipset. Most of the others are based on Realtek, with a couple of exceptions here and there for VIA and others.

The cheapest NIC with a Marvell PCI chipset at the Egg is the D-Link DGE-530T. Odds are that it would be similar to the Linksys and take the same Marvell drivers. It's a few dollars cheaper than the Linksys.

IME, Marvell PCI chipsets tend to have so-so performance, but good relative CPU utilization (and 9 KB jumbo frame support).

Realtek PCI chipsets tend to have better throughput capability, but very high relative CPU utilization (and jumbo frame support limited to around 7K).

If you're limited by average HD's and typical OS's, etc., the performance differences among these NICs will probably not be apparent to you at the application level.

But if the performance or support or name, etc. matters to you, then as you're hitting $20, I suggest considering spending the extra $10 or so on an Intel. IMO you probably get something for that money with an Intel, whereas if you spend $20 on a Realtek based PCI NIC vs. $7 on some other Realtek-based PCI NIC, etc., I don't think you're getting much for your money.

But if the performance or support or name, etc. matters to you, then as you're hitting $20, I suggest considering spending the extra $10 or so on an Intel. IMO you probably get something for that money with an Intel, whereas if you spend $20 on a Realtek based PCI NIC vs. $7 on some other Realtek-based PCI NIC, etc., I don't think you're getting much for your money.

Excellent information there Madwand. I was a bit worried that someone might suggest to spend the $30 on a much better card. I was just wondering if I could just get by with something cheaper as I only need to transfer large files from one computer to another, so nothing major.

Back