In Market for 37-40" LCD HDTV

Bun-Bun

Gawd
So decided my 32" Acer needs to go. I really want a 62" Sharp or Panasonic but I have zero room for it at the moment... looking for something to hold me over till I get my own place again.

Looking at Toshiba 40RV525U have personally seen it and the price is right (under $1000 taxes in CAD).

Just thought I would check here and see if there are any other suggestions that are similarily priced. All the Sharps in the 37"-40" I see are over $1200 CAD which is a little much. I would like to keep it down as close to $800 as possible.

I will be connecting a Wii, PS3, and media center to it (and thus the scaler needs to be good for 480, 720, and 1080 resolutions). And would like extra inputs for future as well as some straigh RCA video inputs if possible.

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT: Being that I already own a somewhat budget brand Acer I would like to stay away from another budget brand. And I dont like glossy panels...

Ok found Samsung LN40B530 and a 540. 530 at a local retailer and 540 at costco. The one at costco is going to come to between $1000-$1100 all said and done and they have a descent return and warranty policy.

Anyone know the differences between teh 530 and 540? Looks like just the bezel is different and the 540 has a USB port for looking at photos and such.

Any reason to take the Toshiba over the Samsung? Other then price of course.

Well I went and bought the 540 from costco with the $140 rebate. So far loving it.

Differences between the 530 and 540 models for anyone else looking are from what I can tell

540 has 1 more component input (2 vs 1)
540 has 1 more HDMI input (4 vs 3 (1 side))
540 has USB port for viewing pictures listening to MP3's (woopity doo!)
540 has nicer bezel with a curved bottom and a slight red highlighting that looks pretty cool actually.

the extra component input and the bezel along with the $140 rebate made the decision for me between the 530 and 540.

Can you say more about the image quality? Black levels? Backlight? Responsiveness?

I dont have much in the lines of current gen TV's to compare to. But...

Black levels are excellent. The backlight consistency is a bit off in a couple places (two circular area's that are lighter then the rest) but its not noticeable at all unless it is a really dark screen or black from switching modes). Also I have not noticed any backlight bleed around the edges. Out of the box the color was way too cool for my liking and the settings are really weird (can only go warmer in movie mode for example).

Responsiveness is good I have only noticed any kind of ghosting on really dark backgrounds with just slightly lighter object moving. I would say its better then my Samsung 244T but not as good as my BenQ G2400WD. Haven't really gamed on it yet but what I have done the input lag doesn't seem be horrendous like my 244T.

The biggest thing I noticed with this TV over others at the store is how clear the picture is. It is very sharp with very little artifacting that I can see. 720P looks amazing. Even my Wii looks good.

Last edited:
Back