in home wiring

I have read alot of things about the type of wire I should have. Some say I should have solid, since it will be in the wall and not moved, some say stranded so I can move it. Which should I have. If I need 500' cat 6, either type, where is the best price for it?

get cat5e solid (plenum if available)

it will still run gigabit speeds, stranded is generally for areas with tighter turns/twists (like patch cords)

Kaos said:
get cat5e solid (plenum if available)

it will still run gigabit speeds, stranded is generally for areas with tighter turns/twists (like patch cords)

Solid wires should be used for permanent installations and stranded for temporary. Patch cords is usually stranded for extra flexibility but data transmissions is a bit less reliable.

I agree with the cat6 being overkill. Get cat5E and it will handle gigabit fine but if you see a cat6 box for a price similar to cat5E, then get it instead...

Check with your local building inspector and check on the Fire/Electric codes. If you run the cables thru any type of plenum air space, drop ceilings, walls with return ducts,etc you are required by code to install plenum cable.

FromTheLou said:
Check with your local building inspector and check on the Fire/Electric codes. If you run the cables thru any type of plenum air space, drop ceilings, walls with return ducts,etc you are required by code to install plenum cable.
Required, but it's generally ignored sadly.

XOR != OR said:
Required, but it's generally ignored sadly.

yep... building i work at was all PVC CAT5e... when i pointed it out to the wiring contractor i got a call from my district building supervisor to the effect of "see. sometimes, we have to look the other way when we see certain things" and i was like... :eek:! remind me to run fast if this place goes up

The lack of demand for CAT6 in my area has lowered the price to the same as CAT5e so we just get CAT6 now.

Back