In-Case Chiller Project

Jonsey

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought I'd post my chiller here, maybe I can bribe some help out of you by posting some pics! I've posted it elsewhere, but maybe I can get some additional ideas here. Also, this forum could use a few projects.

Here is my old my case. I've had it since my old thunderbird 1400. Kinda ugly, and no space to work.

my.php

I wanted to do an in-case chiller. I've done a direct die project before, but it was large and clunky. I wanted a compact chiller. Here's the parts:

beginningparts8uc.jpg

I needed to make a compartment at the top of the case for the chiller to sit in. I used some aluminum plate:

aluplate8vh.jpg

Here is the plate installed:

compartment2es.jpg

I drilled a 120 mm fan hole in the plate so I could put a fan under the compressor to help cool it. Sorry, no picture on that.

installedcompressor5qt.jpg

installedcompressor20zk.jpg

I wanted to do a fancy evaporator/reservoir. I designed it to have a double shell... The inner one to hold the evaporator and water, and the outer to contain the inner reservoir and some insulation. Unfortunatly, this made the inner reservoir very small. I had a hard time making an evaporator coil with a tight enough radius to fit in the 2.5 inch inner reservoir. Here's what I finally came up
with. It's 5/16 tubing. You can see the 3/8 one I tried to make. Just couldn't get the 3/8 tubing to bend properly in that tight of a radius.

516vs385sk.jpg

Because the reservoir will be mounted vertically, I created a tube that would route the incoming hot water to the top of the reservoir, while cold water would be sucked out the bottom. You can just the the tube in the middle of the res in this picture:

innerres12gz.jpg

Here is the evaporator inside the reservoir:

innerres25uz.jpg

Here is the top and bottom of the inner reservoir. Notice the fill port and the line for the temp sensor for the automatic temp relay.

innerres36gz.jpg

Another picture of the evaporator with cap tube in the reservoir

innerres44to.jpg

Here is the entire reservoir assembled. The inner reservoir has about a 1/2 of that spray foam between it and the outer shell.

resassembled5iu.jpg

Here is the entire thing assembled in the case for leak testing;

leaktest0lt.jpg

With no load and no circulation, I was able to get the fluid temp down to -40 C. Once I installed the computer parts and loaded the chiller up, it had no capacity. Here's a shot of the assembled machine:

assembledinside2cp.jpg

assembledoutside7ui.jpg

compressorpeaking6yo.jpg

This project uses a AE9415E tecumseh. It's a 1/5 hp compressor I believe. I'm using R-22 and a small amount of propane. The capillary tube came from chilly1, as did the condensor. Lots of the other stuff came from gclg2000. I can't tell you the diameter of the capillary tube. I told chilly1 I wanted some cap tube for a 300 watt chiller using a 1/5 hp compressor and R-22 and he sent me what I have. His suggestion was to start with 7 feet. After some trimming, I'm down to 6 feet. It will hold the fluid at -5C at idle. Load jumps to 0C. I have to really charge the system to get it to hold temps. Right now, low side pressure is 20 psi, high side is 225 psi.

511c5qo.jpg

It forms some condensation at these temps:

condensation4fn.jpg

I'll insulate the water lines when I get everything squared away.

I'd really like to hit -10c fluid temp under load at least. Of course, -20C would be better. :p I'm using an older D0 stepping 550 prescott at 1.6 v and 4.15 GHz. A Radeon X800 XT is also in the loop. Should I continue to trim the capillary tube length to try and get better temps? Anyone think I should move to an expansion valve?

Hey man looking good. I can't believe you got it to fit all inside. Nice work.

About time you got around to doing this. :cool:

gclg2000 said:
Hey man looking good. I can't believe you got it to fit all inside. Nice work.

About time you got around to doing this. :cool:

Thanks for the kind words, means a lot coming from you. I only got out the shop (it's 120 miles away) about once a month. Made it take a while!

Haven't got much response on this project, I guess being [H] doesn't mean sub-zero temps!

Got my insulation done, finally. Wasn't too hard, really.

chillerinsulation1es.jpg

I'm still thinking about trimming some capillary tube off though. I have 6' right now. Best temps come with the low side at 20 psi and the high side at 240 psi. If I could get a little more flow with a little less pressure in my evaporator (0-5 psi), temps could come down more.

I guess I shouldn't complain, the processor is idling below zero, loads at 10c. Since my motherboard only goes to zero on cpu temp, there isn't much more I'll see there. I can still monitor fluid temps though.

Thanks for supplying so many of the parts, gclg2000

Very nice, I have a friend who wants to do something similar to this. I'll have to show him your comp so he can get ideas.

that is a very nice job man... i am a big fan of stuffing everything into a case...

can't wait to try stuffing a watercooling set into my dinky super lanboy

Wow, the neatness and tidy concealment of the chiller is most impressive!! Have to keep this in mind when I manage to get a new system with some serious OC headroom.

Curious, but how much did all the parts, minus the watercooling loop, run?

Asian Dub Foundation said:
that is a very nice job man... i am a big fan of stuffing everything into a case...

can't wait to try stuffing a watercooling set into my dinky super lanboy

Have a friend who did manage to watercool his Super Lanboy.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v235/TimJohnson/?start=40

EDIT
How loud does the compressor run?

Pete84 said:
Wow, the neatness and tidy concealment of the chiller is most impressive!! Have to keep this in mind when I manage to get a new system with some serious OC headroom.

Have a friend who did manage to watercool his Super Lanboy.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v235/TimJohnson/?start=40

u are the man.. it gave me more ideas..

Pete84 said:

EDIT
How loud does the compressor run?

Well, the compressor was $50, including shipping on ebay. The condensor and cap tube were $30. Another $100 or so in brazing rod, schraeder valves, tubing, etc. There's a good $30 in plastic in that reservoir as well. (ABS 4 inch caps are $9!) Also the temp relay was about $50. I still need a 120v relay. So about $250 overall. Keep in mind that I already had the tools and refridgeration gas to build it though.

Pretty good deal for you, me with no tools though . . . . and then the learning curve. Oh well :(

It doesn't take that many tools, actually. You can get by with just a set of gauges, mapp gas torch for brazing, a old compressor for vacuuming, and a tubing cutter. If you buy the gauges used off ebay, you could easily have all that for under $100.

This is one of the coolest [no pun intended] ideas I've seen in a while, congrats!

A couple questions [sorry if they are obvious]... What is the purpose of that fan hovering near the CPU? How is the chipset cooled? Your harddrives are mounted at the bottom of the case right? Do you have an intake fan there?

EDIT: Answered one of my questions by looking more closely at the pictures. I see now that you have an intake at the front[top] and an ehaust at the rear[top] which is hooked up to a radiator.

Really nice, takes alot more talent than it looks im impressed. I was worried at first until I went down and saw you insulated the water lines haha.

very nice bud. Where did you get the condencer ? Good temps for the lay out and all. :)

The condensor came from chilly1 from xtremesystems. He's great to work with. The compressor is kinda loud now. I have a 1/2 hp to replace the 1/4. 1/4 hp is kinda small for a chiller. Would be great for a direct die unit though. I haven't worked on this thing in almost a year.

The case and chiller are now sitting unused in my room. I just couldn't get the insulation good enough to stop all condensation. After a few months of running, the condensation would get in, especially around the video card water block.

Since my Opteron 170 and X1800XT aren't top of the line anymore, maybe I'll give it another try. Afterall, if I burn it up, my wife would have to let me get a conroe. :cool:

you know, this idea, used in conjunction with http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802563 project submersion project i bet would make one hell of a cooling idea. Not to menchon get rid of the condensation issue. If theres no air, theres no vapor, making no condensation. except maby on the ouside of the case....

A lot of the liquids they use in those submersion projects would get extremely viscous at such low temps. Maybe you could get it to work though.

Back