In 2 Days, Louis C.K. Sells $4.5M In Tickets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Entertainers around the world, please take note. ;)

The comedian said Wednesday that after just 45 hours, his tour has sold 100,000 tickets and taken in $4.5 million in sales. He's bypassing ticketing services like Ticketmaster to sell tickets only on his website. On Monday, he began selling tickets for $45 without fees. His 39-city stand-up tour kicks off in October.

Good for him! That's pretty awesome news. Fck Ticketmaster and their fees. I can't stand that service.

Some of the fees are outrageous at ticketmaster.
At some of the events I went to, each ticket has a parking charge added to it.

man i don't even know who he is.. but yeah.. ticketmaster sucks! still better than craigslist hahaha

I don't either.

He's not as popular as some comedians like Seinfeld or Foxworthy (probably because a lot of his humor is quite raunchy), but he is a very funny mofo.

I'm happy to see this taking off and if he was coming close to me I would buy tickets in a heartbeat.

I think his standup is funny as shit but I thought his TV show was shit. I watched a single episode and that was enough for me.

I think his standup is funny as shit but I thought his TV show was shit. I watched a single episode and that was enough for me.

Never even bothered watching his TV show. He's good at standup and that's what I listen/watch him for.

If you're not from the US then maybe you have an excuse for never hearing of him, but if you are and even slightly interested in comedians, it's a crime not to have heard of him. :p

His TV show is based off the "inspiration" for his comedy. It's basically the reverse of the Bernie Mac show.

It's not 100% constant funny, but he puts some pretty funny parts in the TV show. Some entire episodes are dull, some are gold.

I watch his show sometimes. It deals with some pretty messed up issues sometimes. A good Drama show imo.

Of course LCK made all this money because he got 100% of the ticket money.

How much of a cut does an artist typically make if they go through "the system"? I'm assuming a cut is taken by every middle man along the way.

I love his standup and I really liked Lucky Louie. His new show was hit and miss during the first season but I thought Season 2 was really good. To bad he's not touring Canada :( I saw him 2 years ago and it was amazing. Met him after the show and he signed some stuff for me. Nice guy.

Not really crazy about his comedy but I respect what this guy is doing. Some companies do provide a convenient service. Ticketmaster, however, is not one of them.

Not really crazy about his comedy but I respect what this guy is doing. Some companies do provide a convenient service. Ticketmaster, however, is not one of them.

Agree wholeheartedly. Both on that I don't care much anymore for Louis C.K., and also ticket-prices (from start to purchase) is an entirely over-priced transaction.

His TV show is wildly inconsistant in quality. Some episodes are boring as hell, while others are really funny. His comparison of divorce to a time machine made out of a cardboard box was really funny to me.

Awesome. Cant wait until musicians start releasing entire albums for $1 online and reap millions in profits.

He's not as popular as some comedians like Seinfeld or Foxworthy (probably because a lot of his humor is quite raunchy), but he is a very funny mofo.

I'm happy to see this taking off and if he was coming close to me I would buy tickets in a heartbeat.

I like Gallagher and Carlin better. :)

Ah what the hell. He's coming to Tampa so i'm in for two tickets.

Oh dear, another [H]'der in the bay area.:D

I've never seen his show on FX or heard any of his standup, but I know of Louis CK because of his initiative in selling directly to his audience. I finally checked out his site and bought his Live at the Beacon video. I like standup, and I figure it's worth $5 to see if I like his act. If I do, he'll get more of my money.

Good for him !

It's about time the artists get what's coming to them instead of the "big shots" in the industry taking the majority of the profits.

I would like to see Music move in this direction in a huge way.

I was happy to see Gruhak go this way. Not only is their stuff really frickin' good, but they actually got themselves paid :) I do suspect Amazon gets a bit for selling their album, but that's minor compared to what the Music Industry would steal from them.

man i don't even know who he is.. but yeah.. ticketmaster sucks! still better than craigslist hahaha

He's a lot like a modern day mash-up of George Carlin, Bill Engvall and Rodney Carrington.

And he definitely has no issue with saying controversial stuff :)

He's very entertaining.

You need to give that more time, and remember. There's only so far he can go on Cable (FXHD). He did press the rules pretty hard on FX though :)

He did have a show on HBO for a while (I forget the name of it), and it was a lot like a modern-day Honeymooners but with no rules against subject or language, and it got downright raunchy sometimes !

His TV show is wildly inconsistant in quality. Some episodes are boring as hell, while others are really funny. His comparison of divorce to a time machine made out of a cardboard box was really funny to me.

Kinda the way life is if you think about it :)

This is basically what Pearl Jam was doing 18 (Jesus H...has it really been that long?) years ago.

The technology has caught up to allow entertainers to do it themselves.

The problem is, Ticketmaster has a massive number of large venues locked in.

Maybe for a comic this isn't so bad. Trying to do stand-up in front of 40,000 people is tough.

But for bands and similar performers who are looking at big audiences at each show, it becomes difficult finding venues that don't require you to use Ticketmaster.

Thats awesome & predictable.. Recently my wife purchased 3 tickets to a concert this summer. The tickets were 30 bucks each + another 8 bucks each in fee's. There was no other alternative other then purchasing the day of the show & then the tickets are going to be 45 each plus tax. Just redicolous. I wouldnt even be pissed about it if the tickets were going for 38 bucks each as it should be a great show with several big name bands that I enjoy, just knowing that the ticketing company is taking 8 bucks off the top is annoying. Hell they even charges Shipping & Handleing for tickets being emailed.

thinking of all the concerts that ive been to in my time, i must have payed a few hundred dollars in extra fees

4-5 concerts per year, 8-12 dollars in fees per tickets, for the past 10-15 years

and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread some venues charge a parking fee PER TICKET (regardless of how many cars your group rolls up in) on top of that. a prime example of that is the PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ

ticketmaster/live nation is making a killing....

Awesome. Cant wait until musicians start releasing entire albums for $1 online and reap millions in profits.

But very few will make any serious money since no one will have heard of them before.

Like the current system or not but I think most people would admit that it's very good at getting music played and bands heard of.

For example, it's great that Louis CK was able to pull this off, but he's only able to do that because the old system invested a large amount of time and money getting his name, and shows, out there for people to see and hear.

But very few will make any serious money since no one will have heard of them before.

Like the current system or not but I think most people would admit that it's very good at getting music played and bands heard of.

For example, it's great that Louis CK was able to pull this off, but he's only able to do that because the old system invested a large amount of time and money getting his name, and shows, out there for people to see and hear.

Word of mouth on the internet isn't to be underestimated, though.

They also took alot of the profit too. Sounds like the best combination might be to go to a big label when you're small, get your name out there and after a few years when you're popular and your contract is up for renewel, turn it down and announce that you're releasing on album under your own independant label.

I hope he releases a digital download recording of this tour like he did for the Beacon Theatre. If I lived in the US I'd have tickets to the show already.

Louie CK is a cynical, jaded bastard about pretty much everything and it is "Hillllaarious" :)

I hope he releases a digital download recording of this tour like he did for the Beacon Theatre. If I lived in the US I'd have tickets to the show already.

Louie CK is a cynical, jaded bastard about pretty much everything and it is "Hillllaarious" :)

Wouldn't doubt it! He said he wanted to do more future specials like this. I bet after the tour is over, he'll release a live version.

Back