• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

improving voice recording quality

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
1,983
I am doing voice recording work for a game project and right now I only have a cheap zalman clip-on microphone that doesn't sound nearly as clean and noise-free as I want it to. I've been looking at other solutions for reduced noise and higher quality sound for two days, and I am coming to the saddening conclusion that it's going to cost me hundreds of dollars just to record voice for a game project.

If there is an all-in-one solution or something much better than my zalman that costs less than say 200 dollars, please let me know. Right now with my zalman mic I can hear my pc fans and other things no matter what I try. The simple noise reduction software I have (Audacity) can't really remove it without butchering my voice. I was looking at getting a microphone that requires phantom power and a mixer but I am not sure which one. Thanks very much for any help.
 
In my particular case, I use the Audio Creation software that came with my X-Fi, and pick WAV 24-bit 96khz. That's gonna give you the best quality possible, and Sound Recorder in windows supports this quality too. And yes, probably Audacity too. I also suggest checking the +20db Boost for your mic, that should be found in your volume control. That's gonna gonna give you a nice boost for your own voice.

Also, people suggest that you place your mic lower than your nose, which is the primary source of noise. But practicing not hard-breathing should work too. And if you want to go further, try to find something to attach the microphone too. That way you can move around, and not create noise when you friction it against your hand or shirt.
 
Back
Top