improving picture quality on tv

Blindbatts

Limp Gawd
Right now I am using a geforce 6800 AGP card for the output.

I have it setup with S-video and the quality sucks...

I have a -first gen- sony HDTV 60" projector type big screen, I'm guessing it runs at 480p in HD mode. It has component input, no dvi, no hdmi, no hdcp.

Would this work for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-FT-HDTV-DVI-t...712673005QQcategoryZ73387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or should I get this ati converter (would it work with my nvidia geforce 6800 or no?) from the sticky in this forum

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=14-999-203&depa=0

thanks for any help.

I dont get HD signals in my area, so I am playing back HDTV recordings and DVD's mainly, picture is darker than on PC monitor, and I'm also looking to reduce the letterbox bars as much as possible. I have DISH satellite HD package and on the HD channels the picture quality is awesome, but even for $5 a month they only give 5 channels :rolleyes:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Both should be fine, although in most cases I would trust newegg to avoid cheap (often foreign) scams on ebay, those cables look pretty decent. Theres not really any processing happening, its just taking the rgb from the DVI and putting it into composite signal. So if the cable from the ebayer is long enough I would say go with that, and you should see a huge upgrade from s-video.

stelleg151 said:
Both should be fine
Actually no, the ATI adapter (and similar devices) only works for certain ATI models, it's propreitary. The component cable linked to only works with certain VGA/DVI ports that are designed to output a Y/ Pb /Pr signal, hell the ebay description even mentions this (look passed the broken english, lol).

The only 6800 series card that supports component out is the 6800 GS (make sure by looking for the componet dongle), you're going to need a new card if you want component out.

CrimandEvil said:
Actually no, the ATI adapter (and similar devices) only works for certain ATI models, it's propreitary. The component cable linked to only works with certain VGA/DVI ports that are designed to output a Y/ Pb /Pr signal, hell the ebay description even mentions this (look passed the broken english, lol).

The only 6800 series card that supports component out is the 6800 GS (make sure by looking for the componet dongle), you're going to need a new card if you want component out.

thanks a lot for that :)

the card I have is a vanilla 6800, I did have a 6600GT with the component dongle but I used the evga step-up to get the 7800gs in my desktop...

hmm I guess I'll have to try and get another evga 6600gt then and sell this 6800

Back