Importing user profiles into Win2k3 Domain

killerasp

Gawd
I have users that log onto their local machine.. I would like to have their profiles intact and in use when they log onto a new domain for the first time. How can i go about this?

Join the machine that their profile lives on to the domain.

Then, using the Profile Copy gui ( My computer, properties, user Profiles ) copy that profile to the central location for profiles and change the permissions to reflect the new user ID.

A note about roaming profiles: They are problematic<sp>. And extremely useful. So I would invest some time into researching mapping My Documents, Application Data, Start Menu, and Deskop folders to a central location, so they are not stored with the user profile.

That way, they don't have to be loaded at login and unloaded at logout.

XOR != OR said:
So I would invest some time into researching mapping My Documents, Application Data, Start Menu, and Deskop folders to a central location, so they are not stored with the user profile.

That way, they don't have to be loaded at login and unloaded at logout.

AYE!! I have been wrestling with the idea of redirecting such things since one clients branch office roaming profiles takes ages to load across a T1. (not my setup, but I am still cleaning the mess :p)

XOR != OR is on the money.

I do agree that roaming profiles can sometimes be more trouble than good. If the user uses the same work station all the time, or your systems are identical (software and os's anyway) you should be safe.

Also remember you can have a local user named jimbo as well as a domain user named jimbo that have two seperate profiles. Once the domain user logs on, you can copy the local profile right over top of the domain profile overwriting it.

-scoob8000

Another vote against Roaming Profiles, they are more trouble than they are worth.

Folder Redirection is the key. The only useful folder that GPO's doesn't redirect is Favorites, and that can be fixed with a Regedit in the login script.

Also refining the Default User and All Users profile settings are key to fast logins.

what is the difference btw Profile Path and Home Folder?

from what i understand, the users profile(favorites, desktop, my documents) would be stored in the profile path. That path is determined by the "profile path".

Then what is home folder? right now i have it set to mount as a "H" drive on the users workstations.

Back