Importance of Doom3 Benchmarks

Importance of Doom3 benchmarks...

  • Based my vid card purchase on this benchmark

    Votes: 19 16.1%
  • I had already made up my mind

    Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Tipped the scales and made me get a 6800

    Votes: 25 21.2%
  • Geez it's just one game

    Votes: 33 28.0%

  • Total voters
    118

^eMpTy^

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
3,233
How important were the recent doom 3 benchmarks to you when making a decision about which video card to buy?
 
I was originally planning on a x800 pro, but once I saw those benches I was like wtf was I thinking?
 
Doom 3 was the sole purpose for me getting a 6800nu. I need 1024x768 with medium detail. :D
 
It tipped the scales in favor of nvidia a little more, still undecided though, but most likely looking at an nvidia card since they seem to have it together this time around.
 
Doom 3 rig completed long before benches...

the 6800 quality issues that are rearing up have me def happy with the x800...let alone its awesome performance.
 
Any of the new cards would be a great step up from my ti200 golden sample. I was thinking about going ATI, but when I really started looking at benches I was kinda undecided. With the release of the D3 benches and the price and ocability of the GT, things looked greener to me on the Nvidia side of the fence.
 
IxGOxSOLO said:
It tipped the scales in favor of nvidia a little more, still undecided though, but most likely looking at an nvidia card since they seem to have it together this time around.
I would hope that after spending $400 million in R&D they would atleast come up with something equal to or greater than ATI's cards.
 
Brent_Justice said:
think higher with that card ;)

That might be the case, if the rest of my system was decent. I run a dual processor athlon MP 1600+ system with 512 megs of pc2100.

I might be able to handle a higher resolution if doom 3 is multithreaded....which it probably is. :D

BTW, do you know if it is? :p
 
Roach said:
I would hope that after spending $400 million in R&D they would atleast come up with something equal to or greater than ATI's cards.
Yeah well it was looking a little dim during their FX line up of cards for any hope of catching ATI for awhile. Good thing they came back though, now the competition can start again, and hopefully we will be the winners.
wink.gif
 
IxGOxSOLO said:
Yeah well it was looking a little dim during their FX line up of cards for any hope of catching ATI for awhile. Good thing they came back though, now the competition can start again, and hopefully we will be the winners.
wink.gif
Exactly how I feel, when competition arises we're the ones that reap the rewards. :)
 
I find it odd that the scores bend so much torwards nvidia. I belive they might have an edge on ATI, but that's not an edge, that's a huge abyss! :rolleyes:
I don't belive ATI will just stand still and watch this pass by. Afterall, Doom3 is THE game of the year :D

EDIT: My first post :D
 
CrazyBomber said:
I find it odd that the scores bend so much torwards nvidia. I belive they might have an edge on ATI, but that's not an edge, that's a huge abyss! :rolleyes:
I don't belive ATI will just stand still and watch this pass by. Afterall, Doom3 is THE game of the year :D

EDIT: My first post :D


The problem isn't the hardware...it's ATI's openGL support. Nvidia has been tweaking its openGL support for a long ass time, and that's what ATI has neglected in the past. IT will take some major work on ATI's part to catch up to Nvidia here...
 
Brent_Justice said:
think higher with that card ;)

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDQ=

When you say higher what kind of FPS are we talking here? The 5950Ultra and the 9800XT couldnt even get 60fps hell they barely got 50fps and that was at 1024x768 with no aa/af.

Now im not completely sure how much more powerful the 6800nu is in comparision to those two flagship cards of last generation but it cant be that much if anything at all...right...or wrong?
 
They definitely tipped the scales. I already had an X800 Pro and was considering selling it for a 6800GT. When I saw the Doom 3 numbers it sealed the deal. Why wouldn't I want a card that's the same price, roughly the same (sometimes lesser, sometimes greater) in D3D games, and vastly superior in OpenGL games.

That and you know people will be licensing the Doom 3 engine left and right over the next few of years, so it's not like Doom 3 will come and go and no other OpenGL games will come out.
 
It´s just one game as important as Far Cry, HL 2 and other competing dx 9 engines. And wait for the 3dc patch Doom 3 would benefit major from it :)

Also I have a feeling the 6800 currently is a lot more optimized for this particular game than the X800 is :).
 
I had my 6800 before they came out and the doom III news was just an added bonus.
 
theelviscerator said:
Doom 3 rig completed long before benches...

the 6800 quality issues that are rearing up have me def happy with the x800...let alone its awesome performance.


I'm just curious what IQ problems you're reading about... and where you're reading them at...
 
Well the frist thing that drove me to get a 6800GT was the fact that I had been waiting for a x800XT for the longest time and a I got frustrated. 2nd thing was ATi's crappy openGL support, I play city of heroes all the time, and the frame rates sucked on my 9800XT cause its a openGL game, so that was another factor. Doom 3 benches are just a another good justification on my purchase, im very glad I got it now.
 
Well since I can't get either a 68xxxxx or an X800xxxx I've already made up my mind on getting whatever card can give me the best performance within my budget after [H]'s D3 Guide comes out.
 
I really dont know how anyone could say Doom 3 is just one game. Doom 3 defines OpenGL the same way that the Quake 3 engine defined OpenGL before it. ID controls OpenGL. Alot more work was put into developing Doom 3 than was put into Far Cry and Half Life 2 combined. DirectX will do alot of the work for you. Thats why programmers choose to use it even though OpenGL is better. DirectX does have its positives over OpenGL though.

Far Cry and Half Life 2 are just ONE game. There will be other games based off their engines but they definitely do not define DirectX.

The only thing that the 6800 is optimized for is OpenGL. The 6800 doesn't outperform the X800's in ONE OpenGL game or even HALF of the OpenGL games. It outperforms them in ALL of the OpenGL games. Why would they need to optimize for an area they already dominate?

Speaking of optimizing, check out these benchmarks:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=60&type=expert&pid=13

The 6800's lose almost no performance from disabling Tri and AF optimizations. Those benchmarks in that whole review had Tri and AF ops turned off and the GT still performed as well as the X800Pro even though the 4 games chosen are some of ATI's stronger D3D games.

If you disabled ops on the X800's there wouldn't be no more competition for the 6800's in D3D. nVidia hasn't hardly even started optimizing the 6800's yet. They are suppost to in the 62.xx series drivers and when they do there is a good chance the 6800's will claim the D3D crown. The 6800's are already as fast as the X800's without optimizations. The X800's are highly optimized. They take a big performance hit when Tri and AF ops are disabled.
 
Well we don't know how fast ATI's cards are without the optimizations for....some...reason. ;)
Anyways look at like this two thirds of people who have responed don't agree with the "it's just one game" crowd. :D
 
burningrave101 said:
Far Cry and Half Life 2 are just ONE game.
Wouldn't they be TWO games? :D
Sorry couldn't resist, most the rest of your post was valid or at least semi-plausible ;) .

I got my GT before the D3 benchies came out, but the results were to be expected, ATI's OpenGL drivers have sucked ass since time immemorial.
 
CrimandEvil said:
Well we don't know how fast ATI's cards are without the optimizations for....some...reason. ;)

Actually, i have a pretty good idea how fast they are without them. I've even seen benches with them hacked and turned off. I've got a link where UT2003 was benched with them both on and off. They were forced to run full Trilinear. I think i lost the link though so i will have to try and find it.
 
It would be great if you could.
On something of a side note HTPCnews just reviewed ATI's HDTV Wonder but there might be some sort of optimizations going on there too.
Forum thread

Oh and BTW to stir in a little contrversy. The image quality between the Fusion and the ATI card was pretty close but the fusion in my opinion looked better because ofthe ATI haveing a odd motionblur to it. The IQ on the ATI did looks very nice though and did appear to be pretty sharp.. a little too sharp...

Take a alook at the Picture of Adrian Brody in the last page of the review. Look at this cheek that is by the bluish green window molding. Anyone else seee what me and SpHeRe saw?

The lines almost look like edge enhancement as if some sort of post processing is being applied...?
 
theelviscerator said:
Doom 3 rig completed long before benches...

the 6800 quality issues that are rearing up have me def happy with the x800...let alone its awesome performance.

6800 quality issues??? I thought it was the x800s that had "issues"...like trilinear optimizations that can't be disabled...
 
elvis' quality issues he is going on about is the problems people have when they try to overclock the 6800GT to extreme levels (clock throttling). It's a feature so you don't fry your videocard, not an "issue."
 
tranCendenZ said:
elvis' quality issues he is going on about is the problems people have when they try to overclock the 6800GT to extreme levels (clock throttling). It's a feature so you don't fry your videocard, not an "issue."

...well that seems a bit silly...why not say "overclocking issues"...
 
Back
Top