• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Importance of 2 matched memory modules?

kabrone

n00b
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
14
Hi,
I'm ordering a PC at the moment with the folowing gear:
AMD64 3200+
MSI 6800GS
Abit KN8-SLI
P150 w/ NeoHe 430W
2x1024MB KingstonValue RAM CL3

And the store I'm getting it from currently doesn't have 2 matched 1024mb modules in stock, but do sell 1024mb kingston cl3 modules sepretely. I'm wondering if I should wait for the 2 matched ones to come in stock or should 2 seperate ones do the job just as well? (I'll be running them in Dual Channel)

Thanks
 
Well i'm running 2X512MB and both sticks are dif brands. Ones simpletech DDR400 and the others some off brand DDR400 (I'm also running dual channel). Anyway mine runs fine.
 
kabrone said:
So, what's the advantage with 2 matched ones? If there is any?

Pretty much just to say you have it. At least i think so.
 
Dual Channel also works with off sized sticks I believe.

I'm pretty sure you can run a 128mb and 10240mb stick in Dual Channel.

I'll wait for (cf)Eclipse to make a comment on this.
 
altec said:
Well i'm running 2X512MB and both sticks are dif brands. Ones simpletech DDR400 and the others some off brand DDR400 (I'm also running dual channel). Anyway mine runs fine.

im in a similar situation, kingston and pqi
 
Some boards are much more picky about it. Say, NF2 for example. It's possible 2 different modules won't get along. Also, you can probably run tighter timings & higher speeds w/ 2 identical modules. While I've generally been able to get mismatched modules to work most of the time, I have had to swap sticks around (so the system reads the speed settings off the slower one) or screw with the timings to get it stable.

Are the two Kingston modules the same part #, just not a dual channel kit? Unless you can spot an obvious difference (different chip markings, different layout) they're the same. The dual channel kits are mostly just a marketing thing. The only time they're really useful is when a maker is replacing one revision with another & if you buy two individual modules they might be different revisions. With some brands, a different revision of the "same" memory could be totally different. Hell, they might even switch memory vendors. Most memory module brands don't have thier own fab.

edit: Dual channel doesn't work on off-sized chips except on NForce2. On NForce 2, you can put 2 identically sized chips in channel 0 and one that's twice as big in channel 2 and get dual channel. S939/S940 aren't actually dual channel. It's a 128-bit "double wide" single channel. Modules have to be installed in matched pairs. Of course, the pairs can be different sizes. 2x1GB + 2x128MB is fine. They can also operate in a degraded 64-bit mode with a single module.
 
Back
Top