• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Implement 2012 VDI with retail/MAK keys

wayne.m.j

n00b
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
6
I spent last weekend setting up a test machine for W2012 VDI that is now running two Windows 8 desktops without licenses.

Because this is a lab environment, I only have access to retail keys (Windows 7 and 8 Pro) as well as MAK keys for Enterprise editions of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I have read the FAQ about this and it does mention that this is messy, but it does not go into nor does is point to further details on how messy the implementation is.

What I am assuming, and hoping to get verified, is that right before deployment of the new VMs, I am asked to supply a Sysprep answer file or to choose default options.

Can I at this point supply an answer file created with the WAIK/WADK with the appropriate keys for each VM to be created?

For example: WIN8PRO_01.xml, WIN8PRO_02.xml, WIN7ENT_10.xml

Obviously a trap now occurs because when each machine is rebuilt, that is one less activation available, but are there any other traps that will prevent this from working in a lab environment.

What I am aiming for is a POC that can be used somewhat live but good enough to begin learning with.
 
Jut read up on KMS further, and got all excited until I read the part about requiring the purchase of the KMS Host key. Whilst the client keys are freely available, a host key is required.

From a few of the articles that I read, it did appear that all I needed to activate a KMS enables client was the set minimum number of already or to be licensed server and desktop systems regardless of whether they were physical or virtual.

If that were the case, I could easily meet the 25 computer limit to activate Windows 7 or Windows 8.
 
Look into the lesser known token-based authentication. You can make your one master VM and reproduce activated linked clones without issue.
 
Back
Top