imma gonna let you finish but.. Newegg has the best budget build of all time [$210]

Weren't those original X4s not so great? Guess you can't complain for the price.

Weren't those original X4s not so great? Guess you can't complain for the price.

Yeah, the original Phenoms were pretty crappy.

Also to keep in mind, in addition to these components you need drives and a cpu cooler and possibly an OS.

Also to keep in mind, in addition to these components you need drives and a cpu cooler and possibly an OS.

Id hope anyone who knows of this site is aware of that... :p

Were* they crappy as far as failure rate? or crappy for overclocking?

Where they crappy as far as failure rate? or crappy for overclocking?

I don't think the failure rate was any different from any other processor. The performance was generally considered to be lackluster, usually falling behind core 2 duos of the time. They also rarely overclocked more than a few hundred Mhz.

Still, this would make for a nice home/corporate box.

Where they crappy as far as failure rate? or crappy for overclocking?

Plenty of heat output, poor IPC compared to Intel, not too much OC headroom (I I had a 9600BE that could get an extra 300mhz on a good day), along with the TLB bug (and subsequent fix, which knocked off another 10% or so). They were priced decently, IIRC.

Since this is the 9850, it doesn't have the TLB bug.

Woah, then yea, going to stay clear and hold out for a decent starcraft 2 gaming rig (along with other newer games)

25 dollar discount, I am sure you can get newer more power effecient processor, and a morherboard and 4gb of ram for less then 200. I wouldn't touch the first gen phenoms.

Also, the case doesn't look to be very well ventilated and the power supply probably isn't wort touching.

25 dollar discount, I am sure you can get newer more power effecient processor, and a morherboard and 4gb of ram for less then 200. I wouldn't touch the first gen phenoms.

not really, I just priced a Athlon II X4, 4GB of ram, and 785G mobo for $250, here you get a case and power supply, which isnt that bad, I have two sitting here next to me, both working fine. You guys have to remember this is a budget build at a decent price.

not really, I just priced a Athlon II X4, 4GB of ram, and 785G mobo for $250, here you get a case and power supply, which isnt that bad, I have two sitting here next to me, both working fine. You guys have to remember this is a budget build at a decent price.

Check out microcenter... you can get a Athlon II X4 640 with a MSI 785 motherboard for 106 bucks. Add $50 or so for 4GB of ddr3 and even with taxes you are well under $200. In fact for the $250 you came up with you could get a Phenom II X6 1055, the MSI board and 4GB of ram. http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/9cf198f9#/9cf198f9/26

Any of these cheap machines with a GTX-460 or GTX-580 card would make nice folding Boxen.... :D

increase your electric bill 500W at a time..
Now if I could find wind and solar systems that could make a couple of kilowatts of power so I can run my folders off the grid.

Plenty of heat output, poor IPC compared to Intel, not too much OC headroom (I I had a 9600BE that could get an extra 300mhz on a good day), along with the TLB bug (and subsequent fix, which knocked off another 10% or so). They were priced decently, IIRC.

Since this is the 9850, it doesn't have the TLB bug.

I'm not saying the Phenom 9850 was an awesome performer, but it was better than the first run phenoms like the 9600, the TLB bug was fixed in the xx50 series and my 9850 overclocked to 3.8GHz without any trouble, on air.

For a dated CPU & a PSU & Case that I wouldnt use for a build for my 4 year old daughter I would say not so hot. If they dropped 50 bucks off & lost the case/psu combo it would be hot even with the original Phenom.

As for an alternative I got down to 289 w/ a Athalon II x4 including case & psu..

Case + Mobo combo, CPU, Memory, & PSU

I just did a build with that case, went smooth. Was a little more expensive setup. Quad AMD Phenom 2, 4gb etc.

For a dated CPU & a PSU & Case that I wouldnt use for a build for my 4 year old daughter I would say not so hot. If they dropped 50 bucks off & lost the case/psu combo it would be hot even with the original Phenom.

As for an alternative I got down to 289 w/ a Athalon II x4 including case & psu..

Case + Mobo combo, CPU, Memory, & PSU

I agree. Not hot. PSU will fail, ram is only 2 gb (YUCK). Processor is slow. A $30 unlocked Sempron 140 at 3.6 will match it in a lot of cases.

BEST BUDGET BUILD OF ALL TIME!!!! hahahhahahaha

I loved the challenger cases i bought from rosewill they compare to a cm690 and for 35 shipped. Would not touch a rosewill psu tho. Also who pays 40+$ for 2gb ddr2? i just bought some on here for 20$ for 2gb

My best budget build is e5200 (40$) Msi p43 for 35$ oc to 3.5ghz throw in modular 450w psu for 25 from forum a 40$ 22" lcd , 20$ x1950xtx with v900 on it.. 30$ 640gb black his pc is pretty decent i even use it sometimes.

SuperPi is single threaded... in real world use, the Phenom is sure to stomp the single core sempron.

Not single core. Dual core. Unlocked. When unlocked it's roughly equivalent to a Core 2 Duo. Considering most of them will unlock and do 3.8ghz for $30, yes, they're a better deal. No contest. Not to mention the other multitude of 45nm AMD chips. Rana X3 cores will rape a 9850 when OCed.

Don't confuse the B2 and B3 Phenom 1's, they were pretty different as far as what to expect. This one is a B3 (which is a good thing). The B3's have models ending in 50, XX50. The B2's were the ones with the TLB bug (irrelevant) and also overclocked very little more than stock (more relevant).

I have a B2 that is 2.3Ghz stock and freezes over 2.5Ghz, luckily it was only $45. However the unlocked B3's like this one, while still not amazing overclockers by any means, were almost always good for 3.1 - 3.3Ghz. Even with their slightly lower IPC a quad over 3Ghz is going to be pretty good for that price. Overclocking the northbridge on these to even 2.4Ghz is going to do alot to make up some of the IPC loss as well.

Not single core. Dual core. Unlocked. When unlocked it's roughly equivalent to a Core 2 Duo. Considering most of them will unlock and do 3.8ghz for $30, yes, they're a better deal. No contest. Not to mention the other multitude of 45nm AMD chips. Rana X3 cores will rape a 9850 when OCed.

Are they guaranteed to unlock? I didn't know the semp could unlock to dual core.

I Agree & Disagree on the Semp 140.. Would I take it for its cost over that Phenom, Yes.. Is it going to outperform that Phenom, Hell No.. But atleast its an am3 chip so one could go with cheaper DDR3 Ram and have a little more future proofing out of the system. Not to mention save a few bucks.

Back