iMessage for Android

Not sure if this is the same solution I've seen before that requires a Mac to work as a server for it, but I'm not sure I would expect this to work for long if it gets too popular and Apple shuts it down either in an update or through litigation.

Seriously though; Apple could make a metric shit-ton of money if they just ported iMessage to Android as a paid app/service. I'd bet people would pay $100/year on it too easily, but I'm sure they think that would somehow be negated by loss of hardware sales to people that would mostly never buy their hardware in the first place.

My biggest fucking complaint with fucking android phones.

Selling $1000 phones and can’t send high quality video or pics without turning it into Super Nintendo imagery.

And no, I don’t want to use shitty 3rd party apps like WhatsApp to do that. And EVEN that still degrades quality of photos and video.

So god damn annoying. Wish they would fix this once and for all.

iMessage is amazing, should be the global standard

Selling $1000 phones and can’t send high quality video or pics without turning it into Super Nintendo imagery.

Well I'm not sure which phones on which carriers and which apps support RCS yet, but I thought I saw a while back that it's on some T-Mobile phones, so I was playing around with sending MMS pics to my wife's Note 9 from my Pixel 2 XL and back and it seemed that they were pretty good quality pics on both ends at the time and think I checked the file size to see if it was compressed and it didn't seem like it was at all. I'll have to check again later to see if that's the case still, because that was several month ago.

Anyways, most of my fam/friends are on Hangouts still and that doesn't seem to compress pics either so hopefully RCS will be pretty ubiquitous by the time Google finally decides to kill off Hangouts.

Google messages is a good start in trying to standardize one sms app for androids, but just like Vengance said, it'll be tough for iPhone to MMS Android, hence why people just get an iPhone to avoid the headaches and just settle

Well I'm not sure which phones on which carriers and which apps support RCS yet, but I thought I saw a while back that it's on some T-Mobile phones, so I was playing around with sending MMS pics to my wife's Note 9 from my Pixel 2 XL and back and it seemed that they were pretty good quality pics on both ends at the time and think I checked the file size to see if it was compressed and it didn't seem like it was at all. I'll have to check again later to see if that's the case still, because that was several month ago.

Anyways, most of my fam/friends are on Hangouts still and that doesn't seem to compress pics either so hopefully RCS will be pretty ubiquitous by the time Google finally decides to kill off Hangouts.
RCS is not encrypted and nobody has it, problems imessage solved when it came out in 2012 or so. 7 years later and android still has no answer.

RCS is not encrypted and nobody has it, problems imessage solved when it came out in 2012 or so. 7 years later and android still has no answer.

I never really considered that a problem since I've never got into the habit of sending sensitive or incriminating information over SMS. It would be nice to have encryption, but I'm of the mind that if you're using any commercial OS or free app, someone somewhere can access your data or track you in some capacity.

But Google's answer to that was Allo.. which just died after not even 2 years of being out because for some reason Google thought it was a good idea to tie it to your phone number and not your account, so no web client initially and then when they did make one, it had to rely on your phone to relay messages since it was still tied to your phone number.

I never really considered that a problem since I've never got into the habit of sending sensitive or incriminating information over SMS. It would be nice to have encryption, but I'm of the mind that if you're using any commercial OS or free app, someone somewhere can access your data or track you in some capacity.

But Google's answer to that was Allo.. which just died after not even 2 years of being out because for some reason Google thought it was a good idea to tie it to your phone number and not your account, so no web client initially and then when they did make one, it had to rely on your phone to relay messages since it was still tied to your phone number.
Sensitive information is all your information and it should be standard to keep your own data safe. Some companies send passwords over text, its disgusting. The amount of tracking is the problem. Nothing wrong with having a SSN but you don't want to broadcast it.

And no, I don’t want to use shitty 3rd party apps like WhatsApp to do that. And EVEN that still degrades quality of photos and video.

So god damn annoying. Wish they would fix this once and for all.

iMessage is amazing, should be the global standard

I just use google photos. Sends original vids and pics. Can send it to anyone with number or email and they can open it in app or webpage.

I just use google photos. Sends original vids and pics. Can send it to anyone with number or email and they can open it in app or webpage.

Yes but I don’t want to do that. I want to be able to send hd vids and pics instantly through my phone through message without having to go through something else.

But google photos is all part of the phone and through the phone. I don't think of sharing any other way when I want to share something. It's not like it's something else you have to go through. All the contacts are there, you just select which ones you want.

Reactions: T4rd
like this

I know this is old but PREACH. why the hell cant I send HD quality video on android. Its a dream on iphone. Its the reason I switched. Not to mention, typing texts on imessage from a mac is so much faster (and easier to do secretly in class)

I know this is old but PREACH. why the hell cant I send HD quality video on android. Its a dream on iphone. Its the reason I switched. Not to mention, typing texts on imessage from a mac is so much faster (and easier to do secretly in class)

Messages.android.com for texting from a PC. That's what I use (and Hangouts) at work so I don't look like I'm on my phone while messaging.

I use Photos as well to send original quality pics and vids (usually through a shared album for events) to friends and family. I guess it would be nice to message a couple pics directly without compression, but I'm not too big on taking or sharing pics either. My wife handles most of that either on her phone or DSLR

Messages.android.com for texting from a PC. That's what I use (and Hangouts) at work so I don't look like I'm on my phone while messaging.

I use Photos as well to send original quality pics and vids (usually through a shared album for events) to friends and family. I guess it would be nice to message a couple pics directly without compression, but I'm not too big on taking or sharing pics either. My wife handles most of that either on her phone or DSLR

Yea, Ill admit im not much for taking pictures, but the one off picture I want to send to family shoulnt look like it was taken with a carrot. These are good suggestions though, I will have to look more into these options!

Back