iMessage + Android

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
Is there any type of app that can be used on an android phone that will work with iMessage on an iPhone?

No. Google hangouts or other apps like Whatsapp can do similar things but require each person to have said app.

To be honest I'm not sure why people are even using iMessage anymore with 50% of smartphone users being android users

To be honest I'm not sure why people are even using iMessage anymore with 50% of smartphone users being android users

Maybe your friends/family, but not mine. And it sends as SMS if iMessage isn't available so this post seems like a troll attempt....:confused:

Messages defaults to use of iMessage, and falls back to SMS if the recipient does not support iMessage. Why change that behavior? iMessage doesn't count as SMS, so people without unlimited texting can still use iMessage without limitation.

This is a little bit like asking why people still use Whatsapp.

There is one teensy, but major caveat.

If you have a contact that has an iPhone and you message them it keeps that contact as iMessage. If they then switch to something other then an iPhone and forget to turn off iMessage on their phone before getting rid of it you will have a very hard time sending them texts.

You will receive their texts, but your phone will try to send an iMessage to then and fail.

I believe this is actually a fault on Apples server system and not between the 2 phones themselves.

There is one teensy, but major caveat.

If you have a contact that has an iPhone and you message them it keeps that contact as iMessage. If they then switch to something other then an iPhone and forget to turn off iMessage on their phone before getting rid of it you will have a very hard time sending them texts.

You will receive their texts, but your phone will try to send an iMessage to then and fail.

I believe this is actually a fault on Apples server system and not between the 2 phones themselves.

Outdated information not relevant to the OP.

Apple has released a utility to resolve this issue.

I haven't used this but it's available
http://imessageonandroid.com

I have used a jailbreak utility that broadcasts my iMessages to an IP address so I can use iMessages on my PC desktop but I don't think that would work for you.

90% of the people in my social group use an iPhone. iMessage degrades nicely for non-iOS users, so there isn't much of an issue.

iMessage is great for iOS users and converts to standard SMS for Android and everyone else. What's not to like?

iMessage is great for iOS users and converts to standard SMS for Android and everyone else. What's not to like?
Surely you jest...

on this board, just the fact it's an Apple-related thing classifies it as unlikeable.

iMessage has many useful features that standard SMS does not provide (at least as it's implemented on iOS).

Will deliver over either Cellular or WiFi. This is very nice as I get little to no cellular reception at my work desk. So I get flooded all at once with SMS messages, but I can carry on a conversation in real time with an iPhone user.

Shows "delivered" status

Shows if the other person is typing something in response

Can be routed to my Macintosh computers, which I can also send from. Not only from the iMessage app, but also from other OSX apps like iPhoto.

Can send contacts and location information to other people.

Can other programs deliver this? Probably. But they are not included by default with the phone nor do they offer the integration within iOS and OSX. iMessage is great because everyone with an iPhone has it and it's enabled by default. Which means good user base.

Outdated information not relevant to the OP.

Apple has released a utility to resolve this issue.

Outdated and irrelevant?

This article was updated on Sunday, November 9, 2014 at 3:30 p.m. PT :Apple recently released a new web tool to help iPhone owners deregister phone numbers from iMessage. All you have to do is enter your phone number and Apple will send you a 6-digit code to confirm deregistration. The tool can be accessed by clicking on this link.

And what about the massive amount of people who are not tech savvy and not aware of the situation? The ones that do not know they THEY have to fix the problem.

Google hangout does a better job by making text and phone call free in US and Canada.

Outdated and irrelevant?

Yes. At the time the thread began, the relevant fixing utility had already been released.

And what about the massive amount of people who are not tech savvy and not aware of the situation? The ones that do not know they THEY have to fix the problem.

They will Google for "remove phone number from iMessage" or a similar phrase and click on the top hit.

I have used a jailbreak utility that broadcasts my iMessages to an IP address so I can use iMessages on my PC desktop but I don't think that would work for you.

i need this, link?

Back