Imagine this in a 5x1 setup!

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
3,929
So, I was thinking that I wanted to run two projectors in an eyefinity setup over in this thread
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035907572&posted=1#post1035907572

and during the course of that thread I discovered this bad ass mini projector that is LED with an estimated life of 30,000 hours.
http://www.sivalinstruments.com/projectors/mini-projector-mp720b1

Inspired by this dude, I ordered two of em and cant wait to play with them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6vBcK9gKI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exe0MppQ26Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4m1lD9U31o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oee4...918A2B9CA&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

Can you imagine gettin five of em and puttin them in a 5x1 setup for bezeless goodness!
 
I dont know what it is but projectors never look bright enough for me. The colors just never seem to pop like they do on my LCD's.
 
I dont know what it is but projectors never look bright enough for me. The colors just never seem to pop like they do on my LCD's.

Projectors by their very nature simply won't work well if you aren't in a dark room. As blacks are created from a white projection screen purely through the contrast of near by whites.
 
Being in the pitch black to get the best picture out of a projector isn't always fun. Even then you will get reflections off the walls and ceiling back onto the screen hurting the blacks.
 
I dont know what it is but projectors never look bright enough for me. The colors just never seem to pop like they do on my LCD's.

It depends on the tech that makes the projector go boom. On my old DLP projector colors were very good and vibrant, but on my Sanyo PLV Z4 they are as you say, never bright enough and a bit washed out.

But this Isival uses LED tech and well just look at the colors he is hitting withi it in this ladybug demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTtdVU_MbCQ&feature=player_embedded

Also go to 1:20 in this video and check out the colors he is hitting with two of em in eyefinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6vBcK9gKI&feature=related
 
Last edited:
Being in the pitch black to get the best picture out of a projector isn't always fun. Even then you will get reflections off the walls and ceiling back onto the screen hurting the blacks.

I am in pitch black most of the time when I game. Even with the coat that my three dell U2410s have the sun and reflections are still very annoying, also, when I play my flight sims I use track IR 5 which warrants a dark mancave as well.
 
resolution for two is 2560 x 768, not 3840 x 1080...
your actually slowing your framerate by outputing at 3840 x 1080 for the projecters just to scale it down to the native resolution.

looks great though...
 
It depends on the tech that makes the projector go boom. On my old DLP projector colors were very good and vibrant, but on my Sanyo PLV Z4 they are as you say, never bright enough and a bit washed out.

But this Isival uses LED tech and well just look at the colors he is hitting withi it in this ladybug demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTtdVU_MbCQ&feature=player_embedded

Also go to 1:20 in this video and check out the colors he is hitting with two of em in eyefinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6vBcK9gKI&feature=related

Thats a really nice projector, whys it say 1080p if thats not the native res?
 
resolution for two is 2560 x 768, not 3840 x 1080...
your actually slowing your framerate by outputing at 3840 x 1080 for the projecters just to scale it down to the native resolution.

looks great though...

Yea, the real resolution is 2560x768, which I can live with because I am getting these to play my flight sims. I love my triple dell U2410s, but I hate loosing bogies in the bezels when I am dogfighting and I also love, love, love the big screen larger than life visuals that projectors deliver....just playing birds of prey at 720p on my xbox and Sanyo PLV z4 is an awesome experience!

The big point here is these are affordable, throw off a lot less heat than DLP and LCD projectors, last practically forever with the 30,000 hour life, and you can put 5 or 6 of them together in a 5x1 or 3x2 eyefinity setup if you want more resolution without baking your room down! PLUS NO BEZELS AND NO SCREEN DOOR EFFECT! If I had one wish with these besides real 1080p it would be for them to also have a display port.

Ill keep you all posted when I get em and have a chance to play with em...I AM VERY EXCIITTTE <borat>
 
Problem with these that's apparent from the videos (though possibly exacerbated by the video) is the rainbowing effect. You can see it when there's a quick movement or color/brightness change. I think this would probably be too distracting for me.

The LED projectors on the market currently are mostly single-chip DLP or LCOS (like this one), so it's likely they all suffer from rainbowing to an extent. The small laser projectors (AAXA L1, Microvision SHOW WX) apparently suffer from speckle. They all have pretty lousy resolution as well, with 720p being the highest so far (well, in the affordable range at least; there are a couple 5-6 figure 1080p LED projectors).

It seems like the manufacturers are intentionally reserving their good tech for conventional bulb projectors while saddling the LED units with mediocre tech and charging a premium for it. You can probably blame marketing for that. I imagine it will get sorted out by the time the second or third generation laser/LED projectors hit the market (we can hope). 'Course by then there might be an actual reasonable alternative in OLED, or perhaps blue phase LCD.
 
Problem with these that's apparent from the videos (though possibly exacerbated by the video) is the rainbowing effect. You can see it when there's a quick movement or color/brightness change. I think this would probably be too distracting for me.

The LED projectors on the market currently are mostly single-chip DLP or LCOS (like this one), so it's likely they all suffer from rainbowing to an extent. The small laser projectors (AAXA L1, Microvision SHOW WX) apparently suffer from speckle. They all have pretty lousy resolution as well, with 720p being the highest so far (well, in the affordable range at least; there are a couple 5-6 figure 1080p LED projectors).

It seems like the manufacturers are intentionally reserving their good tech for conventional bulb projectors while saddling the LED units with mediocre tech and charging a premium for it. You can probably blame marketing for that. I imagine it will get sorted out by the time the second or third generation laser/LED projectors hit the market (we can hope). 'Course by then there might be an actual reasonable alternative in OLED, or perhaps blue phase LCD.

You basically described the new tech / old tech product cycles for any consumer electronic device for the last 53 years. We just gotta take what we can get when we get it, and then hope for better tech down the line that is cheaper. For now, I want a massive widescreen and I don't wanna tan/sauna while doin it, so rainbows and resolution be dammned I am on the bezeless bigwidescreenscreen train baby!
 
Back
Top