Image reports negative partition size with Ghost

DVAmon

2[H]4U
Ok, here's a quick rundown on something interesting that happened to me at work:

I've been appointed the task of creating a new windows image for some boxen we have in the field. They are currently on Linux but the business wants them converted to Windows.

These machines are currently using a SATA RAID controller attached to 4 400GB SATA150 drives running in a 4-disk RAID5 config. The total space is 1.2TB.

Right now I have both "test machines" in my lab configured and sysprepped. When I go to capture my image, Ghost works fine. The partitions are C: @ 16GB for the OS and APPS, D: @ 5GB for a swapfile, and E: Remainder of unallocated space. When I try to dump the image back on the box to verify the image is good and then to begin the layering process, Ghost reports the C: and D: correctly, but then says the partition containing volume E: is -900GB. I've checked Symantec's website and all I was able to find was:

1.) Ghost is not supported on RAID volumes.
2.) Partition size limitation is based on the FS of the OS. I'm using XP SP2, so the theoretical partition max should be 2TB on a basic disk.

I'm assuming there is some sort of DOS limitation holding me back, but I can't find any information to help me find a solution. I've never dealt with an array of this size with Ghost before, so it's a bit puzzling. I'm using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.0, the Ghost version is reported as being 8.2.

I haven't been able to see Solution Suite yet, but Ghost Corporate 8.0 works perfectly fine on SATA Raid volumes. It may be officially unsupported, but it works fine. Anytime I've seen this problem, I've been able to fix it by running chkdsk on the volume in question, and then re-Ghosting.

Back