Image persistence? How is this happening?

tacos4me

Gawd
Fairly recently, and very suddenly, my 2007WFP(s) has come down with a case of what appears to be image persistence.

Am I right? Sorry about the crappy iPhone picture, but you get the idea. I didn't know what the hell could be causing it at first. Then I realized I'm in Firefox browsing the web most of the time I have my monitor on. And what does Aero do to maximized windows? It turns the border thing black.

So I figured I had my answer. I switched to the Windows Classic theme, and kept my windows out of the area, and hoped the situation would improve. Of course it didn't, and I ended up RMAing my monitor. I get a refurbished unit back, same S-IPS panel. Within the HOUR, yes, the first HOUR of using it, I could see the same god damn problem returning. What the hell? Different monitor, different cables. What on earth could be causing this?

Just to be clear, the monitor in the picture is the one I got from RMA, not my original one. I've been using it for 3 or 4 weeks now.

I live in northern Maine. It's really, really dry up here this time of year. You think that could be it? :confused:

That's not any kind of image persistance. That DEFINITELY looks like moisture or some kind of physical damage.

It doesn't have a long life left :/

You need to get it replaced (again). That's a defect that affects 20" S-IPS panels. I've seen it myself on the NEC 20WMGX2, and I've seen other reports of it happening on both the Dell and NEC monitors. It gets worse with age and can't be fixed.

The refurbished unit was most likely returned for the same reason, but they probably didn't notice the problem since it doesn't show up until the monitor has been on for a while and only shows up on darker colors.

Sigh. I got another monitor back from Dell. Box said refurb, but it only had one minute on the timer and it had a plastic shield over the screen, so I believe it's new. S-IPS. Whatever the hell plagued the first two hasn't effected this one yet, but this one has its own fucking problems. It has a very noticeable screen door effect, more noticeable with blue colors, and I don't know if I can live with it or not. I really hate to spend another hour on the phone with those uneducated Indians. Do I even have the grounds to get it replaced again?

Dell has the 2007WFP listed on there website again. Supposing this is right, maybe you can ask to get a brand new one, assuming your under warranty.

I thought the screen door effect only plagued PVA panels not IPS.
Maybe you got a pva panel in the lottery.

You know what you got, I'm more interested in knowing if ips panels also have screen door problems.

Good Luck on the present panel with that border problem.

Dan

I thought the screen door effect only plagued PVA panels not IPS.
Maybe you got a pva panel in the lottery.

You know what you got, I'm more interested in knowing if ips panels also have screen door problems.

Good Luck on the present panel with that border problem.

Dan

I sent back that second monitor in the picture with the border problem. Just got back the "new" one today. All signs point to S-IPS. Correct tag in the service menu, serial number ends with 'L', and it has serious screen door issues. I can't even have a blue desktop background set. It's that disgusting. I've tried to take pictures of it, but I don't think I can capture it with my camera. :(

I have the same issue on my 2001FP. It's served me wonderfully the past few years (I got it when $800 was a deal on it), but I notice it's ghosting the image up top from my warcraft sessions all the time. And since I'm WELL out of warranty, I'm kind of screwed. Shopping for a 24" now. :(

I don't really know how to properly photograph a monitor, so please excuse the horrible pictures. I would have taken comparison shots with the the other 2007, but it's already packed up and this is my only LCD in the house right now. Maybe I'll get the other one out of the box later. Anyway, never had I noticed this on my first two 2007s, both with S-IPS panels. It is plainly visible at a normal sitting distance. I don't know if the photos do my words any justice or not, so let me know if you want another angle or whatever. I'll take them when I can.

Where do you live? In California, we have something called a lemon law... I'd start asking about a refund.

Where do you live? In California, we have something called a lemon law... I'd start asking about a refund.

Did you read the thread? He lives in maine.

Screen Door does affect ips panels. Those pictures look fine to me, but if bothers you just exchange it again.

If it is image persistence (hard to see it from the photos), it is caused by heat.
Blow a fan at the TV and it should stop happening (if that is the problem).
The current persisting image may take hours to days to disappear if it is well ingrained.
Displaying an all white screen will make it go away faster.

It isnt acceptable to have image persistence at room temps so it should be returned.

Ignore the non-thread readers. That looks normal to me, it's standard .255 pixel pitch. I think the "screen door effect" is more of a panel uniformity issue, where there are streaks of backlight leakage. It looks almost like the screen was "painted" with a brush, and is more visible on black screens. I maybe wrong about that though.

That's a PVA panel I think, the pixels look diagonal.

Ignore the non-thread readers. That looks normal to me, it's standard .255 pixel pitch. I think the "screen door effect" is more of a panel uniformity issue, where there are streaks of backlight leakage. It looks almost like the screen was "painted" with a brush, and is more visible on black screens. I maybe wrong about that though.

That's a PVA panel I think, the pixels look diagonal.

My IPS 2007FPW has chevron shaped pixels: (this is in portrait mode, taken to show the problems with sub-pixel font rendering in portrait mode)

ipspixels.jpg

tacos4me said:
Anyway, never had I noticed this on my first two 2007s, both with S-IPS panels. It is plainly visible at a normal sitting distance.
Are you absolutely sure your first two didn't do this? Your pictures show a typical S-IPS panel.

as-ips.png

Actually, I just realized I might know what you're talking about. Do you mean you see faint vertical lines on aqua-like colors? That's not screendoor effect. That's something else. I've seen that on the Apple displays and nobody ever knows what I'm talking about. It's like every other column of pixels is slightly lighter. It's impossible to capture with a camera.

Only my Planar PX2611w S-IPS monitor I get what I would consider a screen door-type effect, mostly with red though.. But it seems to only happen when I am sitting too close to the screen.. I just figured I was sitting too close if I could see that (less than 2 feet).

I have seen the exact same problem that the OP had with his first 2 monitors. I personally believe its a problem inherent to IPS panels. At work we have many monitors of the 3 major panel types and they all get 24/7 use/abuse... the ones we have now have all been used continuously for over 2 years now. The IPS monitors all exhibit this strange effect, almost as though something is bleeding through the crystals. I also have the beginnings of this effect on my 2005fpw at home... also an IPS panel. It probably has something to do with the life of the panel. Ive noticed the ones at work get progressively worse over time and it appears in all different areas of the screen, not just the edges. Some of them are quite horrible.

Are you absolutely sure your first two didn't do this? Your pictures show a typical S-IPS panel.

as-ips.png

Actually, I just realized I might know what you're talking about. Do you mean you see faint vertical lines on aqua-like colors? That's not screendoor effect. That's something else. I've seen that on the Apple displays and nobody ever knows what I'm talking about. It's like every other column of pixels is slightly lighter. It's impossible to capture with a camera.

YES! That's exactly what it is. Thank you. I really couldn't capture it with a camera, but your description is perfect. It's really driving me crazy.

Just got yet another monitor back. Has the same "faint vertical lines" as the last one. I give up. :(

Yes, I was told that this one would be new, but it still said refurb on the box. It can't have been though too much though, with a manufacturing date of December 2007.

Ah, yea. Did you check the service menu to see the time?

Yep, only one minute. So it could be new, unless they cleared it before shipping out.

Well if it still has problems, it must be refurb, or a faulty new one. I bought a 2007WFP last December and haven't had this image persistance, but I do have 2 stuck white pixels that I am thinking if exchanging.

Well if it still has problems, it must be refurb, or a faulty new one. I bought a 2007WFP last December and haven't had this image persistance, but I do have 2 stuck white pixels that I am thinking if exchanging.

I'd try and live with those two pixels, to be honest. You may just end up way worse off. Both December 2007 manufactured monitors I've received have had this screen door type vertical line.. thing. The first refurb (which had to be sent back with the same issue as my original monitor) with a November date didn't. Mind you, these are all S-IPS panels. Probably a coincidence, but it's something to think about.

Back