• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

iMac, What's next?

Approaching the end of the cycle, according to the MacRumors buying guide. Now would be an "okay" time to buy, I think — if you want one now, may as well buy it now. I would expect only minor updates to the existing lineup, but it's really impossible to say.

I could see i5s making it into the 21.5" models (and the low-end 27" model), along with a somewhat better GPU option for all machines. Possibly an i3 in the lowest-end iMac with a moderate potential price drop on that model. Pretty much everything else I would expect to remain largely the same.
 
The last update was in October of '09. Every model was updated in October.
 
The only thing that will get me to update from my 27" i5 is if they release a new model with USB3.0.

The fact that no eSata is offered and the fastest connection is shitty firewire 800 is a major oversight - either that or part of the strategy to sell overpriced external FW HDDs and time capsules... I'm thinking the latter.

1000
 
The new imacs and MBPs are fantastic machines that's why.

1000
 
At some point I think the iMac will be updated to the 320m instead of the weak 9400m it has now.
 
I just sold off my i7 system, 30" Dell LCD with fancy GPUs and massive features motherboard for the simplicity and elegance of a 27" iMac and it's the best thing I've ever done. Mind you, all the gaming I used to do on a PC is now done on xbox and PS3 .. if I was still gaming on a PC I would have been far more cautious.

And I still have a PC as a file server with Raid 5 because the storage options on Macs are way too expensive, offer no redundancy and are generally shithouse.


1000
 
I just sold off my i7 system, 30" Dell LCD with fancy GPUs and massive features motherboard for the simplicity and elegance of a 27" iMac and it's the best thing I've ever done. Mind you, all the gaming I used to do on a PC is now done on xbox and PS3 .. if I was still gaming on a PC I would have been far more cautious.

And I still have a PC as a file server with Raid 5 because the storage options on Macs are way too expensive, offer no redundancy and are generally shithouse.


1000

Ouch.
 
I just sold off my i7 system, 30" Dell LCD with fancy GPUs and massive features motherboard for the simplicity and elegance of a 27" iMac and it's the best thing I've ever done. Mind you, all the gaming I used to do on a PC is now done on xbox and PS3 .. if I was still gaming on a PC I would have been far more cautious.

And I still have a PC as a file server with Raid 5 because the storage options on Macs are way too expensive, offer no redundancy and are generally shithouse.


1000

When the new 27" came out I went to look at it in the store. It's beautiful. Gorgreous. I wanted to buy it. I had the permission to. I just had a hard time justifying the cost for it.
So then I built myself a hackintosh for less than half the price that is faster and used the remaining funds for a file server upgrade, upgraded my HTPC and built a second HTPC.
But now I find I don't even boot into OSX anymore. I used Leopard exclusively when Vista was out, not because I had issue with vista but rather I just preferred Leopard. Now I find that I greatly prefer using windows 7. But I still have snow leopard(I bought a retail copy) on it's own drive and can boot into it whenever I wish.
 
The big downside to the iMac line is storage. I really wish they'd put an E-SATA on it. But....I love my 27" i7 iMac. I swapped the Superdrive out for an X25 G2. I've always done Time Machine backups to my NAS so I don't really care about redundancy in the local storage.
 
why would a pc guy want to go the mac way?

We like the overall platform better. Simple as that. I don't game on PC anymore and haven't for a while. Rather play on consoles on the home theatre. For everything else I prefer OSX and a really well designed system. The cost is higher but to me the trade is worth it.

I'll never say i won't go back to building my systems but not right now.
 
Back
Top