iMac G5 Monitor Spanning

Twinson

Limp Gawd
I know that it is not supported by Apple, but has anyone done this before?

I have the hack, which works, but how do I go about hooking up the extra monitor?

Do I get Apple's Mini DVI to DVI cable to hook up the Apple LCD? Or is there more to it?

No guess and check, if I remember correctly the G5 iMac's use the same vga out that the iBook's use. I don't think it's a mini dvi I think it's just a mac vga out. Lemme do research.

edit:

After doing some checking, see if you have one of these: mini-vga.

Ok, I got the Mini VGA to VGA, but the Apple Cinema is DVI...

So, should I get the VGA to DVI and hook it up that way?

Anyone know?

iMac > mini vga to VGA to VGA to DVI to 20 in cinema?

just wanna know before I buy.

Twinson said:
Ok, I got the Mini VGA to VGA, but the Apple Cinema is DVI...

So, should I get the VGA to DVI and hook it up that way?

Anyone know?

iMac > mini vga to VGA to VGA to DVI to 20 in cinema?

just wanna know before I buy.
thats gonna crap on your signal

The apple screen will not work on it. You can not go from vga on a pc to dvi on a screen unless you are not running a digital signal. The only way to do it is a conversion box that is expensive. Just buy a monitor with vga support.

swatbat said:
The apple screen will not work on it. You can not go from vga on a pc to dvi on a screen unless you are not running a digital signal. The only way to do it is a conversion box that is expensive. Just buy a monitor with vga support.

ditto, that's the one drawback of the iMac's no DVI support.

By that you mean something like a Sony?

The analog 15 pin vga connector?

All Sony's have em that I've looked at, and I still have a mini to VGA cable, so I'm going to try this.

P.S. Buying another 20 in is out of the question now, for a bit, since my truck's tierods decided to break.

Yea pretty much all lcd monitors for the computer have a vga plug or the hd-15(15 pins) as you called it. Apple lcds are dvi only. Once you get the case together look at hp, sony, lg, samung, etc.. All of them would work. Yes you still need that apple mini vga to vga plug to hook into the imac.

Actually, yes, I did it today.

The Sony H73 19' monitor (not H75 I think) monitor is the same size as the iMac and fits quite well next to it. The colors contrast like the dickens, but I hardly notice.

I got the 19in monitor I got from Circuit City for 249$ without rebate or other offers, really, I think they screwed up - The sales clerk even forgot to ring in my other purchases along with this montior.

ANYHOW, I used the mini VGA to VGA out that came with my iMac G4 from CompUSA and bought a male to male VGA cable that goes to the monitor.

All in all, it works very well and I am very happy. The screens are not exactly the same color yet, but it works very well.

My wife thinks it is overkill to get a new truck and a new computer part in the same week, but I say RUBBISH! And then she reminded me that she is really the boss and me, even though 6'2 and 230 lbs (about 100 lbs and 8 in taller than her), I stand no chance against her. I may be having to buy some diamonds soon... :/

P.S. Thanks for asking. I should have posted it myself.

Back