I'm willing to give Linux Gaming a try

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm building a gaming PC for my son, so I think it would be a chance to try some linux gaming and see what's all the fuzz about.

Its a Corei5 3330 coupled with a GTX1070 and 4GB of RAM.

Its been years since I tried WINE, so its pretty much starting from scratch.

Any pointers? suggestions? guides?

Install steam for Linux and start there.
If there is a game that you MUST play that isn't native to Linux, find it on steam and see if it can run with Steamplay.
If that doesn't work make sure you have Wine installed with all the dependencies and give it a shot with Lutris using DVXK.
If that doesn't work give it a shot on PlayOnLinux using OpenGL.

It helps to go into it knowing that its not going to be perfect. Its not going to be anything even close to Windows in terms of the library of games. It is getting better though, and if you go into it playing games from the steam library that run natively on Linux, its a very good alternative.

Install steam for Linux and start there.
If there is a game that you MUST play that isn't native to Linux, find it on steam and see if it can run with Steamplay.
If that doesn't work make sure you have Wine installed with all the dependencies and give it a shot with Lutris using DVXK.
If that doesn't work give it a shot on PlayOnLinux using OpenGL.

It helps to go into it knowing that its not going to be perfect. Its not going to be anything even close to Windows in terms of the library of games. It is getting better though, and if you go into it playing games from the steam library that run natively on Linux, its a very good alternative.
Couldn't have said it any better

... 8Gig GDDR
What sort of games are you after playing.
I meant 4 GB system ram

Well, my kid is really hooked on fortnite, so that's a must.
Other games...
On top of my head

Project Cars 1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Academy
SW Battlefront
Assasins Creed 2, 3 and 4
FayCry 3
Doom 3
Mafia

I meant 4 GB system ram

Other games...
On top of my head

Project Cars 1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Academy
SW Battlefront
FayCry 3
Doom 3
Mafia

Check out this website. Its a community run database of games on steam and how well they work using steamplay.
https://spcr.netlify.com/

There is also Lutris to fall back on. You can check the games here and can see how well they work *ymmv.
https://lutris.net/

I meant 4 GB system ram

Other games...
On top of my head

Project Cars 1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Academy
SW Battlefront
FayCry 3
Doom 3
Mafia
You will want 8gb system ram as a minimum. Typically to drive a 1070 I think you'll want 16 gb.

You will want 8gb system ram as a minimum. Typically to drive a 1070 I think you'll want 16 gb.
Did you see the list?
I can run any of those games on windows10 with 4GB, I don't see why it would be any different on linux

It seems like a FAIL before I even start. Apparently Fortnite Battle Royal doesn't run on WINE because of the anticheat. That's a BIG NONO for my kid.

Every time I try Linux gaming I find something that makes me go back.

It's just not meant to be.

It seems like a FAIL before I even start. Apparently Fortnite Battle Royal doesn't run on WINE because of the anticheat. That's a BIG NONO for my kid.

You should let Epic know that you want Fortnite on Linux!

Unfortunately Tim Sweeney doesn't get it... but you should still let them know.

I meant 4 GB system ram

Other games...
On top of my head

Project Cars 1
Jedi Knight
Jedi Academy
SW Battlefront
FayCry 3
Doom 3
Mafia
I know what you mean , I am pointing out the difference

4gig system RAM
8gig video ram

Your system ram will limit you. For starters it is low, second how are you going to make use of all that gram if the other aspects of the system are steangled

I know what you mean , I am pointing out the difference

4gig system RAM
8gig video ram

Your system ram will limit you. For starters it is low, second how are you going to make use of all that gram if the other aspects of the system are steangled

Again. The system ran perfectly fine with Windows 10 with the games I tested. I know the GTX1070 is way overkill for what I'm running and if I want to run more recent games it will choke, but that's not the case.

Anyway since Fortnite won't work, I'm going with windows 10.

Again. The system ran perfectly fine with Windows 10 with the games I tested. I know the GTX1070 is way overkill for what I'm running and if I want to run more recent games it will choke, but that's not the case.

Anyway since Fortnite won't work, I'm going with windows 10.

How dare you use Windows 10 because it works for your needs and Linux doesn't! ;)

How dare you use Windows 10 because it works for your needs and Linux doesn't! ;)
They_dcf71c_250827.jpg

I was wondering how long till you contribute to the thread. Welcome :D:D

Since there are several posts on Linux gaming and how easy, wonderfull and fullfilling experience it is, I wanted to try it my self (again) and see if it finally was good enough for my needs.

Short answer, its not. I'm not saying its not for anyone, but its not for me.

I was wondering how long till you contribute to the thread. Welcome :D:D

Since there are several posts on Linux gaming and how easy, wonderfull and fullfilling experience it is, I wanted to try it my self (again) and see if it finally was good enough for my needs.

Short answer, its not. I'm not saying its not for anyone, but its not for me.

At least you gave it a look. I'm glad you did, even though it didn't work out.

Sorry pal but I didn't even get to install the damn thing.
That's ok. Like you said, Fortnite is a deal breaker. You went through your list of requirements, and the solution you were investigating didn't meet them.

At least you gave it a look. I'm glad you did, even though it didn't work out.

Plenty of folks around here, even people like me that are called Microsoft shills by some Linux fans, have spent a LOT of time setting up Linux over the years trying out various things. I've not really tried much with gaming and Linux since last year but it's just one of those things that personally just doesn't mean a whole lot.

If you don't like or want to use Windows then sure. But Windows does work well for a lot of people like me and spending a lot of time simply replicating in Linux stuff that's already working well in Windows, just not worth much time to me. If there were some benefit to beside being free of Windows/Microsoft (that's more a political than practical thing to me overall) then at least there's something tangible to be gained there.

Plenty of folks around here, even people like me that are called Microsoft shills by some Linux fans, have spent a LOT of time setting up Linux over the years trying out various things. I've not really tried much with gaming and Linux since last year but it's just one of those things that personally just doesn't mean a whole lot.

If you don't like or want to use Windows then sure. But Windows does work well for a lot of people like me and spending a lot of time simply replicating in Linux stuff that's already working well in Windows, just not worth much time to me. If there were some benefit to beside being free of Windows/Microsoft (that's more a political than practical thing to me overall) then at least there's something tangible to be gained there.
You're right. We'll just tell people to not waste their time and go use Windows for games.

You're right. We'll just tell people to not waste their time and go use Windows for games.

Some people don't like or can't use Windows or like to tinker. If one wants to game under Linux more power to them. I just think that gaming under Linux for the sake of Linux isn't worth it to most people at this time.

I game in Linux, but with really old stuff. Good stuff though, back when games were fast loading and interesting.

If you're wanting to "show off to the neighbors", Linux gaming probably isn't for you. Unless they want to see something really great running that they will never see on Windows because it's not supported there anymore.

YMMV

Some people don't like or can't use Windows or like to tinker. If one wants to game under Linux more power to them. I just think that gaming under Linux for the sake of Linux isn't worth it to most people at this time.
original post titled: I'm willing to give linux gaming a try said:
I'm building a gaming PC for my son, so I think it would be a chance to try some linux gaming and see what's all the fuzz about.

Its a Corei5 3330 coupled with a GTX1070 and 4GB of RAM.

Its been years since I tried WINE, so its pretty much starting from scratch.

Any pointers? suggestions? guides?

Proposed response: "Don't do it. You shouldn't waste your time. It'll never work and you should use Windows. Everyone else does and it works for them. Just install windows and play your games."

Last edited:
Proposed response: "Don't do it. You shouldn't waste your time. It'll never work and you should use Windows. Everyone else does and it works for them. Just install windows and play your games."

If one is interested in playing a variety of modern games on a PC there's no question that Windows is going to provide the best support. Indeed you won't even have to install it because it's probably already on the device. So yeah it's just easier to use Windows.

If one is interested in playing a variety of modern games on a PC there's no question that Windows is going to provide the best support. Indeed you won't even have to install it because it's probably already on the device. So yeah it's just easier to use Windows.
Don't tell me.. Tell Stoly.

If you want to go where the bar is the lowest, be subject to Microsoft and never even attempt to learn something and just play games, Windows is your choice of OS. Pay, get data harvested, don't think, don't learn. Be a subject.

Sorry pal but I didn't even get to install the damn thing.

What exactly stopped the install?

The fortnite installer won't work on a freshly install linux as WINE is needed
Once WINE, or even better Lutris is installed its reletively smooth.
STEAM provides a nice sandbox to simplify everything for things within the steam ecosystem. For things that are not a few extra hoops are needed.

You tried, which is great

What exactly stopped the install?

The fortnite installer won't work on a freshly install linux as WINE is needed
Once WINE, or even better Lutris is installed its reletively smooth.
STEAM provides a nice sandbox to simplify everything for things within the steam ecosystem. For things that are not a few extra hoops are needed.

You tried, which is great

It wont work at all. The developers added an anti-cheat that doesn't work on linux, even in Wine. Its stupid things like this that make it hard for people to switch to Linux. Its not Linux's fault, its the narrow sight of the game developer. Especially since its developed in an engine that is fully Linux compatible and would be very easy to port directly to Linux.

ahh I didn't know they added that...
Yes "Anti Cheats" and almost universally a nono when it comes to any abstraction layer on linux ....

I really wanted to give linux gaming a chance . For over a decade, everytime I've tried it, there's an issue that makes me go back to windows. I was willing to do the troubleshooting to make things work. Had it been any of the other games that didn't work, I would have tried to sort things out. But as its the main game my son plays, well, I hit a brick wall.

I really wanted to give linux gaming a chance . For over a decade, everytime I've tried it, there's an issue that makes me go back to windows. I was willing to do the troubleshooting to make things work. Had it been any of the other games that didn't work, I would have tried to sort things out. But as its the main game my son plays, well, I hit a brick wall.

Give it a few months. Another battle royale game will come out and everyone will forget about Fortnite. BR games have only been popular for about a year and we’ve already seen several games sputter and die. H1Z1, that caster BR game, pubg to an extent, and a couple others that had their week in the spotlight and faded into obscurity.

No doubt fnight will sputter out at some point... as a better version of the same thing hits.

Hopefully valve seeing all users its attracting... create their own battle royal to get Steam in on the action. Like they did with DOTA when that game genre got popular.

That would be the best case scenario for Linux users as no doubt as is the case with DOTA the Linux version will be superior.

As much as people would love another half life, if Valve does anything next it will be a BR game.

We have DICE/EA and Activision getting into the action with BF and COD next, but neither of those come on Steam do they?

We have DICE/EA and Activision getting into the action with BF and COD next, but neither of those come on Steam do they?
They haven't shown interest in bringing their properties to Steam since their store (origin) got a bit of momentum.

TBH, this isn't a "Linux" issue. If the developers of Fortnite Battle Royal think linux is "cheating" then you kinda need them to ask them to fix that.

TBH, this isn't a "Linux" issue. If the developers of Fortnite Battle Royal think linux is "cheating" then you kinda need them to ask them to fix that.

This is exactly what I was going to say, this is definitely not a Linux issue, nor has it got anything to do with Windows being 'better'. This is totally the result of a shortsighted developer.

Valve specify two things for ideal Steam Play/Proton support:

1. Ideally the game should support the Vulkan API.
2. Developers must avoid the use of overzealous DRM.

Point one doesn't tend to be a deal breaker, although performance may suffer where Vulkan isn't used. Point two must be adhered to as the kinds of DRM in question are very much tied to the structure of Windows and cannot be ported to Linux.

It's a shame that Fortnite was such a deal breaker Stoly, but not surprising considering the arrogance of the developer. I'd like to say that hopefully in time Fortnite support will be added, but you've got a greater chance at hell freezing over.

Perhaps someone can explain to me why such over the top DRM is needed on the free battle royale version of the game? Makes as much sense as an ejector seat in a helicopter.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone can explain to me why such over the top DRM is needed on the free battle royale version of the game? Makes as much sense as an ejector seat in a helicopter.

Its the Anti-cheat. Very important IMO

Back