I'm very excited about the 4000 series but...

Decko87

2[H]4U
I don't know if I'm a small portion of PC gamers out there that is saying: "Wow this is great that ATi has released two very competitive cards! However, I've already played the best games available on PC and I can't justify getting any new card yet! Not to mention all of the games run really well with my older video card." Lets face it COD 4, Bioshock, ect... ect... all run really well on the last generation of hardware. Aside from people playing AoC I don't really see the point of buying a new card just yet. I personally can't play another MMO; a deep, haunting ,dark cloud of fear permeates my being when I think of what I will become, then more trepidation continues throughout the night... :). I'm not saying I won't ever buy one, and I'm also not saying I'm not excited for a Red vs. Green war, but give me Spore, Fallout 3, Starcraft II, Far Cry 2, maybe even some Alan Wake and I'll be on the 4870 bandwagon. You never know though, there could be another beast looming in the darkness to chew those games apart in the near future. It may not seem too likely with new cards just being on the cusp, but hey, who knows what the near future holds right?

Most likely though, I'll see you in October or so red team, unless gaming incentive points to an earlier purchase.

P.S. I realize this is a hardware forum, and I'm sure a lot of people are excited to see what some games can do now that they couldn't before. I'm just not feeling it this time because the games I play run so well at my resolution(1650X1080).

To each his own, but I'm interested in your thoughts!

Your sig indicates an 8800GT, and for you I guess it wouldn't make much sense, since the 8800GT is very fast in its own right. However, even for your resolution there would still be reasons to upgrade - AA is the big one, since ATI cards now do AA faster than nvidia cards, so you could likely up the AA level in most of the games you play.

There are still many people out there who don't have a G80/G92 generation card (such as myself), and are looking at the 4850s price/performance for a possible upgrade. Of the games you mentioned, I cannot run them at maximum quality at 1280x1024, especially so with AA. I'm a cheap bastard, though, so the price war has me thinking of finally upgrading.

I do agree with you on some level as my x1950xtx can max out Assasin's Creed in DX9 at 1920x1200 albeit with no AA but then again I'm in no position to complain.

I have to agree a little, right now I have an 8800GTX and no reason to upgrade. but that may change as soon as I get a new monitor.

Yeah I could see some people with older generation cards, I'm just thinking from an 8800 series perspective I guess. :) Like I said, I'll probably upgrade eventually, just not until more demanding titles are available aside from Crysis.

snip

There are still many people out there who don't have a G80/G92 generation card (such as myself), and are looking at the 4850s price/performance for a possible upgrade. Of the games you mentioned, I cannot run them at maximum quality at 1280x1024, especially so with AA. I'm a cheap bastard, though, so the price war has me thinking of finally upgrading.

That alone is a big reason for many people to upgrade. Resale value of pre G80/G92 cards aren't that high anymore, thus buying the 4850 is a good choice for the money-saving (or stingy ;)) enthusiast.

OP: i'm right with you, excited trough the roof! I remeber i was on a 8800gt banwagon but than again it is still sitting under my bed collecting dust cuz Gigabyte (effing byte) fucked me over with their revision of 8800GT that didnt work on my system no matter what, or maybe it is broken. 300$ was thrown away.

Ordered Asus 4850 and Mass Effect from the egg yesterday.

Can u guys imagine how better my gaming will be coming from x1800xt???

16 shaders (or is it 32?) compared to 800, now thats a real number crunching muscle power right there :D

While it doesn't exactly work like that I don't think, I feel your excitment as I'm going from a 7600GT to a 8800GTS (g92) and the bump in RAW POWAH is going to be shocking.

I don't know if I'm a small portion of PC gamers out there that is saying: "Wow this is great that ATi has released two very competitive cards! However, I've already played the best games available on PC and I can't justify getting any new card yet! Not to mention all of the games run really well with my older video card." Lets face it COD 4, Bioshock, ect... ect... all run really well on the last generation of hardware. Aside from people playing AoC I don't really see the point of buying a new card just yet. I personally can't play another MMO; a deep, haunting ,dark cloud of fear permeates my being when I think of what I will become, then more trepidation continues throughout the night... :). I'm not saying I won't ever buy one, and I'm also not saying I'm not excited for a Red vs. Green war, but give me Spore, Fallout 3, Starcraft II, Far Cry 2, maybe even some Alan Wake and I'll be on the 4870 bandwagon. You never know though, there could be another beast looming in the darkness to chew those games apart in the near future. It may not seem too likely with new cards just being on the cusp, but hey, who knows what the near future holds right?

Most likely though, I'll see you in October or so red team, unless gaming incentive points to an earlier purchase.

P.S. I realize this is a hardware forum, and I'm sure a lot of people are excited to see what some games can do now that they couldn't before. I'm just not feeling it this time because the games I play run so well at my resolution(1650X1080).

To each his own, but I'm interested in your thoughts!

I hear where you're coming from. However, given that.....

I'm not really looking to buy *any* new games that are due between now and Yule (except *maybe* Mass Effect and Spore, and both of those are maybes). Instead, what I'm looking to do with my next build is to utterly banish resolution-switching once and for all.
I'm keeping my current 19" CRT, which handily does 1600x1200 at 75Hz NI, and my current case, optical drives, and Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer; the rest of the hardware gets changed.

The core parts for "Goro's Baby Brother":

Gigabyte EP53-DS3L
Intel C2Q6600 (retail-boxed)
Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 (1 GB DDR2-800 x2)
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU
Visiontek HD4850 512 MB GDDR3 PCIe
Western Digital 500GB SATA-3.0G HDD
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (from current system)
Dynex 16X DL DVD/CD burner (from current system)
Lite-ON LDW-411s ATAPI 4x DVD/CD burner (from current system)
Maxtor DiamondMax 200 GB SATA-150 HDD (from current system)
Windows Vista Ultimate x86 with SP1 (if it weren't for browser plug-ins, I'd seriously swap to x64 Edition here)

Yeah, I bought one and don't really have a use for it :( . My wife needed a new video card to be able to play the new starcraft, spore, etc.. and I figured 150 wasn't a bad price so I bought a 4850 and am passing her the 2900.

I will say one thing though, you probably wouldn't get addicted to AOC. I blew 110 bucks on two copies (wife) after reading hype and frequenting their forum for over a year before release. She quit after 3 days, I just couldn't keep myself playing after level 55.

I intentionally avoided Call of Duty 4 and Crysis simply because I wanted to play them on a good card (currently im on an x1950 Pro). Soon I can play crysis in its full glory! I might even give The Witcher and Mass Effect a second go round too.

Mu ha ha ha ha ha!

yea, the OP at 1680x1050 probably won't see much of an incentive because 8800gt is plenty of power for that res. agree on the bump in AA you'll get if you do go 4800 series. i myself would love to get a 4870 since i want to run everything at 1900x1200, for which my current 3870 is not up to par. i also loves the crysis, so more power there is always appreciated =P.

I will say one thing though, you probably wouldn't get addicted to AOC. I blew 110 bucks on two copies (wife) after reading hype and frequenting their forum for over a year before release. She quit after 3 days, I just couldn't keep myself playing after level 55.

It's pretty amazing you even made it to 55. Most people I know couldn't bear to keep playing past lvl 20. I think you have to be really determined to get your money's worth out of it to persevere past that point.

As for the 4870's. I'm hanging on for a bit to see if they surprise everyone with an early Mac version. If it drags on I might get one for the PC rig and flash it at a later date. Like the OP said though, there just isn't much need for it yet so I have no burning desire to get one yet.

Windows Vista Ultimate x86 with SP1 (if it weren't for browser plug-ins, I'd seriously swap to x64 Edition here)

Go for the x64 OS and use a 32-bit browser so plug-ins will still work. That's what everyone else does.

Go for the x64 OS and use a 32-bit browser so plug-ins will still work. That's what everyone else does.

True; it does include both versions of IE 7 (which is my default; I'm running Vista Ultimate x86 today); however, there are still some *expansion packs* (notably, sadly enough, C&C 3: Kane's Wrath) for games that I play that have issues with Vista x64 (C&C 3 itself runs on Vista x64 just fine).

Back