• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm throwing myself on the forums mercy

drakken

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
1,196
I have a creative xi-fi platium card, which I bought a while back thinking that it worked under win2k, and found that the drivers work but the software is checking something other than the registry to see what version of OS I have, and I have software on that machine that has issues with XP , so upgrading to XP is not an option. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to use the XP drivers on Win2k or the control panel as I was able to install the wdm drivers with no problems.
 
It should be fairly simple to install the winXP drivers on win2k, but you'd need to possibly edit the inf file to include 2k on the list of valid installation mediums.

I wouldn't use the auto-installation tool that creative uses to install the drivers, just extract them to a directory somewhere and then point to the location of the updated drivers in the System Manager.
 
I was able to get the WDM drivers out of the installer just by unzipping it instead of installing it, but I can't figure out how to get the console out without installing the driver pkg, which requires winxp because of one file in the support.cab, which i could extract and edit no problem but I spent several hours trying to replace that file in the cab with the one edited and I could create a cab with ms CABARC.EXE and MAKECAB.EXE but they would create a new support.cab file that did not work, I think I read somewhere about replacing the lst but I got the feeling I'm out of my depth here. anyway I can get the card to work so I can use the optical inputs in win2k would be appreciated.
Ben

edit: the wdm drivers themselves work fine in win2k it is just the console to let me control the inputs which will more than likey work if I can figure how to install it. the only reason I did not mention which file is I deleted the files last night in frustration so I have to re download them again. :(
 
I'm pretty sure I read on the x-fi box that x-fi cards don't support 2k... I don't blame them.
What program supposedly doesn't work in xp?
 
BBA said:
Why don't you just upgrade to WinXP?

"...and I have software on that machine that has issues with XP , so upgrading to XP is not an option." -OP


Err, not reading entire multi-page threads I can handle, but not reading the original post? 'Cmon silly :p
 
insanarchist said:
"...and I have software on that machine that has issues with XP , so upgrading to XP is not an option." -OP


Err, not reading entire multi-page threads I can handle, but not reading the original post? 'Cmon silly :p


Yeahhjhguilty...sue me

But: Every single time someone tells me they have something that doesn;t work with XP I have proven them wrong.

XP is much better.
 
The easiest thing to do is dual boot XP with Win2k. This way you can still run the programs you need in Win2k, and have the X-Fi working in XP. You can install a secondary sound card or use onboard to get sound in WIn2k.

Just create a separate NTFS partition of about 10-15GB for XP. That should be enough just for the OS. You may have to use Partition Magic for non-destructive partitioning if you only have one hard drive, or buy a second drive and create the partition there.

To dual boot simply boot off the XP disc and run through the setup. Choose that new partition for the OS to be installed in, and keep going. XP will notice the WIn2k installation and give you the option to boot into either.
 
Back
Top