Im the market for a good GAMING laptop......

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
For my B-Day I would like to purchase a pretty decent laptop that I can play my HL2 on, and get decent FPS on it, but this laptop needs to be under $2000. What would you all recommend me buying? I think I want to go the AMD 64 processor, but an intel 3.2GHz or faster will do.

http://www.rjtech.com/r259ia3.htm

the uniwill 259IA3 barebones kit.... one of my dreams.

the laptop is quiet, powerful, light, thin, and has excellent battery life. it uses a Pentium M, a Radeon 9700 256MB, 15.4" widescreen (1650x1050), and can average 1.5hrs for gaming, and probably about 3 hours for 'office' stuff, on the battery.

according to this dude the laptop can play HL2, at 1650x1050 w/ all settings at full, flawlessly.

im waiting for someone to buy my lappy so i can buy this one. its currently my dream laptop. :D

Jesus christ, a topic asking for a gaming laptop pops up like everyday.

Someone should make a massive sticky for one discussion on gaming laptops.

Btw, how the heck do u have so much money?

Boy said:
Jesus christ, a topic asking for a gaming laptop pops up like everyday.

Someone should make a massive sticky for one discussion on gaming laptops.

i completely agree... i just felt like helping the poor kid out and let someone else flame him... :evilgrin:

but, yea, there are tons of threads posted EVERY FREAKIN DAY about gaming notebooks. look around a little bit next time.

that link that i gave you came from a thread that i posted in, and is probably still on the first page. it never hurts to look first, and then ask. otherwise you look like an ass and get flamed by everyone who comes across your thread.

Boy said:
Btw, how the heck do u have so much money?
what are you talking about?? im 14 and i have more money than that. heck, i spent more than that on my lappy.

Well as is posted in most of these gaming laptop threads, The Emachines m68 series laptops are absolutly AWSOME gaming rigs. my 6805 will play half life 2, doom 3, and anything else I can throw at it without so much as a hiccup. And all for the low low price of 1200 ish bucks :D

Id say check out the HP ZD8000 if you want a 17". For under $2000 you looking at this:
3.0GHZ P4 HT
1024MB DDR2 Ram
17.0" WSXGA
60GB 7200rpm HD
DVD+/-RW
256mb Radeon x600
802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth

Id recommend my HP if they still made them, but running on the specs in my signiture(with the latest omega drivers) i can play Half Life 2 at 1024x768 with everything high and 2XAA with no problem.

a guy in the Strictly Intel forum showed direct comparison of a Pentium M 1.6 in a desktop board vs a P4 3.02Ghz, same vid card, etc...

Pentium M 1.6 whipped its ass.

Why get a hot P4 for a laptop?

0ldman said:
a guy in the Strictly Intel forum showed direct comparison of a Pentium M 1.6 in a desktop board vs a P4 3.02Ghz, same vid card, etc...

Pentium M 1.6 whipped its ass.

Why get a hot P4 for a laptop?
thats exactly why i recommended the Uniwill 259IA3 a few posts up. i just found out how well a P-M kicks a P4's arse.

Yeah, that Uniwill is fantastic. ViciousPC.com has it (they call it the Shogun) for a great price. I'm seriously thinking about getting it or the new Acer Travelmate 8104. The big thing favoring the 8104 is its PCIe ATI X700 video card. Of course, it also costs about $600-$700 more than the Shogun.

The Acer Ferrarri is a very nice laptop. Not top of the line, but built for gaming. Down at the store we were running Doom3 on the highest setting seamlessly. Not to mention the 7 coats of Ferrari Paint. Also comes with a mini mouse(painted to match) and a red buff cloth.(that says it all. if a laptop comes with a buff cloth its gotta be sweet!) :p

I don't know enough about laptops to write it myself, but if some wants to start a thread for a sticky on gaming laptops and what to look for and choices, be my guest. I'll sticky it.

odoe said:
I don't know enough about laptops to write it myself, but if some wants to start a thread for a sticky on gaming laptops and what to look for and choices, be my guest. I'll sticky it.
i also think we should have a sticky in every thread about brand's quality/performance/reliability/any general knowledge about that brand relating to that forum. basically creating a sticky that posts general brand integrity for the products in that forum.

just a thought about something that i wouldnt mind having as a resource. esp for n00bs who come in and just ask stupid general questions about products. if we had a brand integrity thread, they could search through that, make a determination, and then post specific questions if they really had to.

TSS Modder said:
what are you talking about?? im 14 and i have more money than that. heck, i spent more than that on my lappy.
He also has 2 powerhouse PCs and now he is buying a ~$2,000 laptop. He must be banking.

I'm about to turn 18 next week and I'm still stuck with this crappy iMac I've used for almost 3 years. :(

Boy said:
He also has 2 powerhouse PCs and now he is buying a ~$2,000 laptop. He must be banking.

I'm about to turn 18 next week and I'm still stuck with this crappy iMac I've used for almost 3 years. :(

ahh... i see.... i didnt bother to read his sig.

happy birthday
cheers.gif
hope you like your mac. :D

Check out this website www.dsn-computers.com

I bought my laptop from them.

Compal CL56
128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro (M11-P) 4x AGP
15" SXGA 1400x1050
1.7GHz w/2MB Cache Dothan Centrino
80GB HDD
1024MB DDR
DVD+/-RW 4x
WiFi b,g
$1550 :)

caynee said:
Id say check out the HP ZD8000 if you want a 17". For under $2000 you looking at this:
3.0GHZ P4 HT
1024MB DDR2 Ram
17.0" WSXGA
60GB 7200rpm HD
DVD+/-RW
256mb Radeon x600
802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth

Id recommend my HP if they still made them, but running on the specs in my signiture(with the latest omega drivers) i can play Half Life 2 at 1024x768 with everything high and 2XAA with no problem.

Don't buy Compaq/HP. They're pulling that Bios mini-PCI whitelist crap that IBM does. You only ever get to use the mini-PCI wifi adapters they decide to let you use.

rltvstc said:
Don't buy Compaq/HP. They're pulling that Bios mini-PCI whitelist crap that IBM does. You only ever get to use the mini-PCI wifi adapters they decide to let you use.
so get the b/g or a/b/g that comes with the laptop and never worry about it...not that big of a deal...
if you are worried about wardriving or whatever, the built in antennae isn't going to be enough anyway.

xmeld.com has the uniwell branded as the "force259". More configuration options than viciouspc including leaving the OS out to save a bit of money.

Viciouspc also did a bit of bait and switch on the pricing when this computer first came out.

I was going to jump on this comp until I realized I didn't really need one. I'm in "wait and see' mode as I'd really like a laptop with an upgradeable vid card.

rltvstc said:
care to explain?

I'm curious.

GLSauron said:
so get the b/g or a/b/g that comes with the laptop and never worry about it...not that big of a deal...
if you are worried about wardriving or whatever, the built in antennae isn't going to be enough anyway.

That will get you functional wireless, but you don't ever get to upgrade. So when the latest 802.11.whatever standard comes out, you can't buy a card from Newegg and drop it in.

0ldman said:
care to explain?

I'm curious.

The BIOS on newish HP/Compaq laptops contains a list of 'allowed' mini-PCI wifi adapters. If you plug in an adapter whose PCI ID is not on the list, the laptop will refuse to boot. The list will only contain the PCI IDs of the HP/Compaq branded cards offered with the laptops from the factory. Generic OEM 2200BG cards from Newegg will not work. The only ones that will work are the ones HP/Compaq will sell you, and then only the ones that they offered in a particular laptop. The HP/Compaq 2200BG is $100 from HP. The generic from Newegg is $30. When a new standard comes out, unless Compaq issues a BIOS update and sells you a new card, you're out of luck.

They've even been issuing retroactive upgrades to introduce the whitelist. Some people who've added their own adapters have discovered that upon upgrading their BIOS to the latest version, their laptop no longer boots.

IBM has done this for some time. Looks like Compaq is jumping on the bandwagon. AFAIK, Toshiba and Dell (and probably other companies) don't pull this crap.

Vote with your dollars folks, don't buy HP or Compaq laptops if you like to tinker.

if it must be 2k id reccomend whats in my sig. it was about 2.2k but the prices will drop. plays games great.

mic_crispy said:
if it must be 2k id reccomend whats in my sig. it was about 2.2k but the prices will drop. plays games great.
whered you buy the acer? are the acers up for customizability?

I just ordered the Acer Travelmate 8103 from Hamony Computers. It's backordered, but at least I'm in line for it. The price was $1890.00. :D

wow... the 8103 is right up my alley. and the price is excellent. once i can sell my lappy im definately gonna take that offer up.

bookmarked now...
thanks a bunch. :)

TSS Modder said:
wow... the 8103 is right up my alley. and the price is excellent. once i can sell my lappy im definately gonna take that offer up.

bookmarked now...
thanks a bunch. :)
You're welcome!! The site says it'll ship in a week, but I'm sure it'll be longer.

Back