• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm sure its simple

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
9,295
but how do I, who has wifi, connect to my router via wifi(have this much done lol) and have the other wifi rigs connect to my pc wirelessly instead of them connecting to the router? and lastly, have 1 rig connect to my rig via ethernet and use internet as well?
 
So you want all devices to connect to your PC wirelessly, than have your PC connect to your router through the wired connection?
 
You'd need two wifi cards and set up connection sharing.

I'm not trying to argue here, I honestly don't know much on the subject, but if he had the PC connected via Ethernet to the router, then wouldn't he only need 1 WiFi card in the PC to create a wireless Ad-Hoc network and share the Ethernet? Again, I don't really know which is why I am asking.
 
That's correct - with a wired connection he'd need 1 ethernet port, and 1 wifi.

In this case he wants to connect to his router via wifi, and then share that connection via wifi from his laptop.
 
If i understand what he's asking then he will need at least 2 wireless cards and 1 wired connection. It sounds like he basically wants everyone to connect to him instead of his router... other then a man in the middle attack or some kind or maybe traffic shaping he wants to do locally, I have no idea why this would be advantageous.

You will want to disable the SSID on the router so others can't see it and then connect with one of your wireless connections. You will then want to enable connection sharing. For the second wireless connection, use whatever software comes with it to create a wireless network so users can connect to you.

That should handle what your asking for. If your going to be sharing your internet connection to the public make sure you have some sort of AV and a decent firewall on your box.

good luck
 
If that is exactly correct, you'd need 2 wireless cards. One to share the connection to the laptop, and one to hit the router. Then you can use a crossover cable to connect the two pcs.
 
You're drawing made me lawl too :D Thank you.

I especially like the laptop's antenna and the crossover between the desktops.
 
Can I ask why you want to go about setting up a network in this way?
 
coax jacks r on 1st floor, so modem and router are there.desktops r on 2nd floor(one primary and wired to it a folding box) and laptop on 3rd.
 
coax jacks r on 1st floor, so modem and router are there.desktops r on 2nd floor(one primary and wired to it a folding box) and laptop on 3rd.

I see, but if your "artwork" is accurate, then you would have a wireless connection for your laptop and for your primary desktop already, so what is the point of trying to connect the laptop to the desktop wirelessly, then connect the desktop to the router wirelessly? Couldn't you just connect both the laptop and the primary desktop to the wireless router?
 
I see, but if your "artwork" is accurate, then you would have a wireless connection for your laptop and for your primary desktop already, so what is the point of trying to connect the laptop to the desktop wirelessly, then connect the desktop to the router wirelessly? Couldn't you just connect both the laptop and the primary desktop to the wireless router?


the laptop is too far away from the router to get a clean signal
 
Well then yes I suppose the way you want to work this will work out.
 
I'm sure you've thought of this, but if you run cables it will be much faster and more reliable. Maybe cables don't work in your situation though.
 
Thread title is wrong. With computers its never simple.
+1 to the cable idea. only reliable wireless connection I ever get is on a laptop. Desktops + wireless hate me.
 
Back
Top