• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm stuck at 230-237HTT WHY?

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Messages
7,505
OK, so this is the problem, I am having some problem overclocking this 3000+ on my new MSI K8T NEO plat…

specs,
A64 3000+ CG
2x512 Kingston hyperX PC3500
antec 550watt PSU 3.4v, 5.3v, 12.1v amps are good to but i forgot them...
HEatsink is a alpha PAL8150 w/ 50cmf fat, in 55c Room.
9800pro
SB audigy
promise tx2 raid card.....
they only drive on the motheboard is my DVD burner..rest are on raid card..
stock cool on MB, iF that matters


My best stable is 230HTT, 10 multiplier, memory set to 133. For whatever reason when I set it to 166 I can’t get it stable past post. I am running 2x512mb sticks of Kingston HyperX PC3500

I’m running the CPU at 1.8v and memory at 2.85 using an alpha PAL8150 with 50 CMF fan, 55F room temp.

I’m trying to get past 2.3 GHz, I don’t think it’s the chip. I think something is limiting my HTT speed. Just for the sake of ruling out the Chip, I dropped the multiplier to 8 and set the HTT to 230 (my current top) my memory in the BIOS is set to 133. From there I start upping the HTT…around 235 it craps out…not sure why. I can play with it and get it to post 240, but doesn’t take very long to lock up somewhere.

I think I would be happy if I could get 10x230HTT with my memory set to 166, this would give my about 190Mhz memory, with titer timings. But I’m stuck running my memory at 153 MHz…is there a reason why I can do this? I can run 220HTT 10 multiplier, with my memory 1:1 (200 = 220 MHz) perfectly fine

Im using the 1.46Bios right now?

Any suggestions, or links to some good reading would be greatly appreciated.

And one more thing, im not sure what dose this, but sometimes when I boot windows I get to my desktop just fine, everything seems ok, simple apps will come up like calculator and WMP, but I cant run any major apps, like outlook, 3dmark, or ever CPU-Z I will click, but nothing happens (doesn’t run app) and when I right click on my computer and go to portieres it should show the CPU type and MHZ and ram, but I doesn’t, its blank. Then about 2-3-mins later it info refreshes and show, plus any apps I tried to open like CPU-z or outlook will instantly come up…this has happens to me on other systems…
 
Set your HTT multiplier down one notch.

might be called LDT multiplier in your bios not sure.

That is really weird about the memory, but this might fix that.

How high of a HTT can you get with the memory set at 166 with a 10x for the cpu?
 
Dekar12 said:
Set your HTT multiplier down one notch.

might be called LDT multiplier in your bios not sure.

That is really weird about the memory, but this might fix that.

How high of a HTT can you get with the memory set at 166 with a 10x for the cpu?


223 is the highest i can go running memory 1:1, 227 is the highest i can go running 5:6, i have drope the LTD all the way down to 2....

Right now im running 220x10, 4xLTD(880Mhz HT) memory 220 2-2-2-6-1t (seem stabel even with 2 512 sticks....it run freacking fast ass hell like this, I am happy with it, but it bugs me knowing i could be faster....

I hit up the MSI fourms a lot of people are have numreous problems like this.... joy joy, wish i got a abit kv8pro...
 
try 2-2-2-11 timings... maybe throw it to 2T if your bios allows it.

Nforce chipsets like the 11 setting usually better... and I know sometimes the older A64s didnt like the 1T command.

Worth a shot at any rate...

Those people on the MSI forums, do they have a lot of different ram or all of them having the same problem with your ram?
 
Dekar12 said:
try 2-2-2-11 timings... maybe throw it to 2T if your bios allows it.

Nforce chipsets like the 11 setting usually better... and I know sometimes the older A64s didnt like the 1T command.

Worth a shot at any rate...

Those people on the MSI forums, do they have a lot of different ram or all of them having the same problem with your ram?

its all kinds of ram...iv tried 2t, and all sorts of memory timings.....

im sad... its not really a big deal i guss, i dont plan on going hardcore overclocking on the a64 untill more mature chips and better mobos come out anyway...
 
hmm.. i have the same board. and kingston hyperx ram. and i get get up to 295htt. i think it's the luck of the draw.
have you tried messing what slots your ram is in? i keep mine in 1&3.. not sure if it really matters, but it's something to be aware of.. you can also try oc'ing with just one stick in, see if that helps.
also. don't use 1.4b6 or b7.. they seem to suck. stick with 1.4b3 or something :D

edit: OH YEAH!! i forgot. set the agp speed to 67. don't ask, just do it, and see if it works better
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
hmm.. i have the same board. and kingston hyperx ram. and i get get up to 295htt. i think it's the luck of the draw.
have you tried messing what slots your ram is in? i keep mine in 1&3.. not sure if it really matters, but it's something to be aware of.. you can also try oc'ing with just one stick in, see if that helps.
also. don't use 1.4b6 or b7.. they seem to suck. stick with 1.4b3 or something :D

edit: OH YEAH!! i forgot. set the agp speed to 67. don't ask, just do it, and see if it works better

yea i set it to 67Mhz so it forces the PCI lock, if i leave it a 66Mhz it dose not lock 100% of the time. Im currently trying the 1.4b7 bios. ... do you have a lonk to someone hosting the 1.4b3 BIOS? ill give it a try....

I have tried runnign in diffrent slots and running only one stick....
 
Back
Top