I'm so depressed... never saw this coming...

That Tagan El Diablo case looks so insane. You can flip the side panel fan the other way and use it as an actual room fan on those hot days!

Because enthusiast level motherboards certainly don't have onboard RAID, right? ;)

I actually think the guy is right, I don't think the 680i/780i has on board raid, but I may not see the full advantage of it, but there are still performance jumps and at $200 a pop they didn't blow my budget.

The 680i/780i does indeed have onboard RAID, as do many of the P35 boards (Gigabyte DS3R, Abit IP35 Pro, Asus P5K, DFI TR2S, etc) and almost all (possibly all) X38 boards. That wasn't my point.

All the above boards use a wimpy little chipset that offloads a good bit of the work involved in running RAID to the CPU, increasing latency and lowering performance. A good hardware RAID card will handle everything on the card, which leads to much better throughput and lower latency. Unfortunately, you can easily pay $300+ for a mediocre hardware RAID card, and upwards of $1000 for one that'll handle a large array or is particularly fast.

Done the exact same as the original poster.:(

Bought the GTX thinking it couldn't be much bigger than the 1900xt I had previously.

Got a new CM 690 case and pretty much a whole new system and was then good to go.:D

Although I did consider removing the drive cage and hanging the drives somehow...:confused:

Since we are on this topic, do you know by how much and is the new GX2 the same length as the GTX?

Thanks

The 8800GTX is 10.5" in length. The 8800GTS is 9.5" inches in length by comparison. I do not know how long the 9800GX2 will be as I haven't seen one.

tad bit overkill... but you know what they say... if it worth doing its worth overdoing....... if its worth overdoing its worth losing a limb!

My excitement of tracking the package- and then opening it- and then taking out my old card... then to utter disappointment... GUYS! PLAN AHEAD!!!

sad.jpg

IT WON'T FIT!!!

HAHAHAHHAHA

Late post here, and it may've already been mentioned, but judging by how that drive cage looks, you might be able to just shift it forward a bit. A couple of choice cuts with a dremel on either side at the securing joints, then shift the entire cage up towards the front of your case in (what appears to be) that 1-2" void of space between the front part of your case and the drive cage.

you could re-secure the drive cage with something like JB Weld ($4 at the hardware store) applied to the inner portion of the drive cage and still be able to use your drive cage to hold the drives in place. Could even uses a small L-bracket and screws to re-secure if you didn't want to go the JB Weld route. Either option is infinitely cheaper than a new case.

all theory though, since it's a bit hard to tell if that space between the front aluminum and the drive cage is actually completely empty or not. 'Course, doing that would probably rule out using a front fan, but that shouldn't matter too awful much if your case has decent overall airflow going on.

Had a similar experience when I rebuilt my rig. Bought whats in my sig to replace an older P4 + x800xtpe system using the same case. I almost shit meself when I went to put the GTX in. Had to tilt it a bit but got it down in there and seated. I let out a big 'PHEW' and proceeded with the rest of the build.

just do what i did take your case and pull on it till some thing gives and it bends a in then put card in and bend back takes 30 secs and it works!

I would dremel it. Cases come and go. It will save you money and a bunch of time. It really wouldn't be to hard. Your case doesn't look like a Mozart, LianLi, Auroura, Cosmos, or Stacker so for it. If you still want it tio look professional you can add a rubber seal on the spots where you dremelled.

Back