• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm Scared!

special_K

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
69
Of buying the dell 2405fpw, because I',m just not sure if I'll be able to play my games at the LCD's designated resolution. I'll be playing games such as WoW, DOD:s, and thats pretty much it. I've also heard tales of backlight problems, hard to read text which leads to streighning your eyes, and games not supporting widescreen resulting in the game stretching instead of doing actually LCD resolution. I'm sure my video card wont be a problem handling the resolutions, because I have a 6800GS 256MB, X2 3800 processor. Dont hesitate to post pic's of your games on a dell LCD and make suggestions. Thanks
 
TigerDave's has a nice list about half way down the page followed by a table of games and their supported resolutions

And The WIdescreen Gaming Forum should pretty much take care of any other worries concerned with wide screen gaming

as for backlight issues I can't say anything about that problem because I haven't read anything about it, I hope this helps
 
If worse comes to worst, just play the game at 1600x1200 with black bars on the sides.
 
special_K said:
Of buying the dell 2405fpw, because I',m just not sure if I'll be able to play my games at the LCD's designated resolution. I'll be playing games such as WoW, DOD:s, and thats pretty much it. I've also heard tales of backlight problems, hard to read text which leads to streighning your eyes, and games not supporting widescreen resulting in the game stretching instead of doing actually LCD resolution. I'm sure my video card wont be a problem handling the resolutions, because I have a 6800GS 256MB, X2 3800 processor. Dont hesitate to post pic's of your games on a dell LCD and make suggestions. Thanks

Buy the monitor. You will not regret it for 1 second.
 
I agree! Just buy it and worry about the gaming res later. You can always run games at a lower resolution if your hardware cannot run your games at the specs you want to run them at.

I bought my 2405FPW back in the summer and I love it. So far I have had no problems with it (knock on wood). Once I get my new computer running I am going to get rid of my 24" CRT TV as my 24" LCD will have everything hooked up to it!
 
You won't have any trouble running most games at the native res with your system.

Definitely get the monitor - it's worth every penny :)
 
Ok.. it's Wed morning.. I have had my 2405 for just over 48 hours..

gaming... OH MY GAWD.. it's the shit..

Work.. it's like having 2 monitors in one.. I can have things open here.. and other things there.. and messengers.. and chats.. and EVERYTHING..

I paid a bit more for mine.. got the next day shipping and the 5yr warrenty.. and the best coupon I could find was the 15% off.. and I had to pay Tax's since I livein Tx.. and at first.. I though. hmm it's to big.. but after an hour on it.. I tried to use my wife's box.. with a 17" LCD running 1024x768 and I can't stand it.. I feel confined..

BUY IT.. I am so happy I did..
 
QuiGonJinn said:
Ok.. it's Wed morning.. I have had my 2405 for just over 48 hours..

gaming... OH MY GAWD.. it's the shit..

Work.. it's like having 2 monitors in one.. I can have things open here.. and other things there.. and messengers.. and chats.. and EVERYTHING..

I paid a bit more for mine.. got the next day shipping and the 5yr warrenty.. and the best coupon I could find was the 15% off.. and I had to pay Tax's since I livein Tx.. and at first.. I though. hmm it's to big.. but after an hour on it.. I tried to use my wife's box.. with a 17" LCD running 1024x768 and I can't stand it.. I feel confined..

BUY IT.. I am so happy I did..

Lol, confined?

Thats a nice description :D

Well your responses have persuaded me to buy it, but I've found another LCD that I liked it an I'd like to know what you guys think of it. The link to it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889107001
 
Wow, I just found out the resolution on that LCD sucks so i'll probably be sticking with the Dell 2405FPW.
 
special_K said:
Lol, confined?

Thats a nice description :D

Well your responses have persuaded me to buy it, but I've found another LCD that I liked it an I'd like to know what you guys think of it. The link to it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889107001

The resolution sucks. Only 1280x720... that is going to look oddly huge on a screen that size. Might be decent for gaming, but for desktop stuff the 2405 is a much better choice.

If you want huge and high res, you can always wait for the 3007fpw.
 
NulloModo said:
The resolution sucks. Only 1280x720... that is going to look oddly huge on a screen that size. Might be decent for gaming, but for desktop stuff the 2405 is a much better choice.

If you want huge and high res, you can always wait for the 3007fpw.
Don't you think that will cost 2x-3x more then the 2405?... that hardly seems worth waiting for/paying for in my mind.
 
I have a 2005 and I had always played games in native resolution till I got CoD2. There was times when my comp just couldn't handle the game at full settings running 1680x1050. Then I found out how well the monitor scales. If you go to options > image (I think) you can change the scaling from 1:1 to full screen or one other one. I don't know about the 2405 but I play CoD2 at 1200x1024 or whatever the resolution is scaled to 1680x1050 and the quality is VERY very good, much better than playing with the black bars.
 
Ok. I found one thing to gripe about on my 2405...

Wallpapers... hard to find a good one.. that won't get me killed by the wife..

other than that.. uhh.. hmm well.. I love it.. makes work so much easier.. no more swapping windows trying to find the customers file.. ughh..

Ohh and for those who care.. I work from home.. do tech support.. get paid well.. and I have my own bathroom.. kitchen.. refrigerator.. and can more or less get up and go grab food or use the bathroom when I want.. and the boss.. and all my co-workers.. are 800 miles away.. if not more..
 
QuiGonJinn said:
Ok. I found one thing to gripe about on my 2405...

Wallpapers... hard to find a good one.. that won't get me killed by the wife..

other than that.. uhh.. hmm well.. I love it.. makes work so much easier.. no more swapping windows trying to find the customers file.. ughh..

Ohh and for those who care.. I work from home.. do tech support.. get paid well.. and I have my own bathroom.. kitchen.. refrigerator.. and can more or less get up and go grab food or use the bathroom when I want.. and the boss.. and all my co-workers.. are 800 miles away.. if not more..

Wanna trade jobs?
:rolleyes:
 
Jozone said:
Don't you think that will cost 2x-3x more then the 2405?... that hardly seems worth waiting for/paying for in my mind.

I'm guessing 2x as much, and should be launched in the next week according to dell... but you would definately have to upgrade the graphics card then.
 
If I play games lower than 1600x1200 then my games graphics start to look blocky and jaggy. I have not noticed any stretching either.
 
special_K said:
Wanna trade jobs?
:rolleyes:


Uhh NO!!!...

I love my job.. really .. I do..

BTW.. I live in Texas.. and am th ONLY employee in Texas.. everyone else is in Phoenix Az..

so. if you live in Arizona.. speciffically Phoenix.. and want a cool job.. and know your ear from a USB port.. PM me..
 
QuiGonJinn said:
Ok. I found one thing to gripe about on my 2405...

Wallpapers... hard to find a good one.. that won't get me killed by the wife..

I've started a collection of widescreen wallpapers some of the my collection came from deviant art check out their widescreen section here
some of them might not be agreeable but others are rather nice
 
Back
Top