I'm sad

RedCt

Weaksauce
I bought a 17" MacBook Pro, refurbished, 3 days before the new ones came with a better processor and video card :( :( :mad:

Im guessing you didnt you know Jobs was having his speech next week. He was bound to announce something (although the MBP's did come a week early). If you did know about it and decided not to wait well then its all on you.
Although hopefully u got a good price on the refurb.

Don't you have a few days to return the system?

Also; the turn-around for selling it would probably be just about what you got it for. If it's such a big deal; eBay it or sell it in the FS/FT section here.

That does kinda suck though...

You should have a two-week window to return it. I don't know what the policy is on refurbished items, so YMMV.

If you have an Apple store nearby, I would give them a call. If not, hit up Apple directly.

You should have a two-week window to return it. I don't know what the policy is on refurbished items, so YMMV.

If you have an Apple store nearby, I would give them a call. If not, hit up Apple directly.

Guys. . .the refurbished 17" MBP starts at $2300 (2.33GHz) - so it's not like we're dealing with apples-to-apples here. The new 17" currently runs $500 more than the currently-listed refurbbed 17".

The more relavant question is - is the new base 17" worth $500 more to you than the refurbbed 2.33GHz 17"? If you can get an academic discount on the new one, the new one will almost certainly still be more than the refurbbed one. Maybe not $500 more, but still more. Either way, you'll have to decide if it's worth it to pony up the extra cash for a new one.

Guys. . .the refurbished 17" MBP starts at $2300 (2.33GHz) - so it's not like we're dealing with apples-to-apples here. The new 17" currently runs $500 more than the currently-listed refurbbed 17".

The more relavant question is - is the new base 17" worth $500 more to you than the refurbbed 2.33GHz 17"? If you can get an academic discount on the new one, the new one will almost certainly still be more than the refurbbed one. Maybe not $500 more, but still more. Either way, you'll have to decide if it's worth it to pony up the extra cash for a new one.
But he's sad! :eek:

A friend of mine bought a 15" MBP a week or two ago. He's the most technology-crazed person I know. He's gone through several cell phones, a couple Windows laptops, an iMac G5, and a MacBook in the last 2 years.

Now he swears that the 15" MBP will last him and he won't return it for a new model, and I just laugh quietly ;)

To answer peoples' questions, yes, the extra money _is_ worth it. This laptop is going to be my main machine for a while, and I can get the ed. discount. Yes, I got lucky - you can return it. Their online RMA form even has an option for "buying newer product". :)

Well, the 17" MBP's don't have LED backlighting right now, only the 15" models. So will he be just as sad when the LED backlit MBP's come along?

To answer peoples' questions, yes, the extra money _is_ worth it. This laptop is going to be my main machine for a while, and I can get the ed. discount. Yes, I got lucky - you can return it. Their online RMA form even has an option for "buying newer product". :)

Then there you have it. Enjoy your new machine when it arrives.

Back