Im pulling hair i cannot get vista to restart right!

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
Whenever i install vista and then install all the updates from windows update, and its time to restart the computer the computer turns off my mouse and keyboard and just hangs at a black screen with a cursor in the top left hand corner.

This also happens when i install new drivers for vid card and sound card.

My system specs are in my sig.

I also have the latest bios for my main board which is 1201.

So if anyone is getting this problem, or if anyone cant help me out on what to do, it would be much appreciated.

Since it is a new install, you could always give re-installing a shot.
Otherwise give sfc /scannow a shot too.

i have the same issue with my compaq laptop, i figured it out a while ago from another forum but i forgot it has something to do with going to device manager and changing a device driver i think the lid driver im gonna try to find it

crap nevermind that was to fix my problem where closing the lid would not turn back on. I was having the same issue that you are with the restarting problem. i reinstalled xp due to this no clue what it was. had the problem on both ultimate and business version no clue why the first time i installed it it worked fine

thanks guys for trying to help me out but its still present. ANd even more so trying to install new hardware. :(

Ok i dont want to jynx myself but i fixed the problem.

I had 2 hard disks in stripe.

I took out one of my hard drives and no more blinking cursor in the top left hand corner of my monitor screen.

So i guess im going to stay away from stripe for awhile.

Back