Im new to pc world.

Nothing wrong with those components, but it's way overkill for youtube and older / less performance intensive games.

I would recommend going with the more recent Intel SkyLake platform, and a newer generation graphics card as well, so:

CPU - i5-6500 (or even an i3, depending on how much performance you really need; but probably better just to buy an i5 now, rather than plan on upgrading later)
PSU - EVGA 550 G2 (same as the one you've selected, just less power)
MB - Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H (You'll need to get DDR4 memory, rather than DDR3, for this motherboard)
Graphics card - EVGA GTX 950

The components above might better match your stated needs, and would get you on both a newer CPU / chipset platform, and a more recent generation of graphics card. Plus, save you money...

I'd say no need for an aftermarket cooler unless you get into overclocking, or are operating in very hot environments, or very crowded cases.

Also, you might be overbuying on the keyboard, depending on tastes. You might instead consider a less expensive keyboard, and use the money to pick up an xbox 360 wired controller, for use in gaming.

Welcome to the PC world!

Anyway, I think you're paying a little too much for your system, plus it's a little dated. Try looking at this:

Intel Core i5-6600K - System Build - PCPartPicker

I don't think you should get a video card right away... at least try the Intel IGP, see if it meets your needs. If you're only playing simpler games or older games, you don't need a video card. This might be a radical thing to say given how much gamers hate IGPs traditionally, but you'd have to spend more than $100 on a video card to really get a worthwhile performance bump from Intel HD graphics these days. And if you're new to computers, there's a huge backlog of old games waiting for you. I suspect when Polaris and Pascal come out, used video card prices will drop a little and you'll be able to get a good deal. So this isn't the best time to buy a video card unless you can get an extremely good deal. But you can just build a machine with an IGP now and enjoy it, evaluate your needs and see what you really need or want from a card. This wasn't an option for a lot of us back in the day, and I'd consider it a great boon for someone who doesn't know how much graphics horsepower they really need.

This would be $200 less than your build, give you an M.2 SSD rather than SATA, put you on a newer platform, and give you a better monitor than the TN you were considering.

However, if you're willing to buy some stuff used, you can get better deals than these. I've seen some really cheap Windows keys, but I'm assuming you don't really want to take a chance on those if you're new.

As for the remaining $200 in your budget, you should probably take some time to decide whether you'd benefit more from a large mechanical storage drive, or a real video card as you use the system. It depends on whether you find yourself running out of space first, or finding yourself with unplayable framerates first.

Last edited:
Back