• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I'm new to folding

Konner15

n00b
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
33
I'm just running the program i downloaded at http://folding.stanford.edu/ but im running it on a standard HP G60 laptop and i'm concerned if there is a point at which i should stop folding, can my laptop handle all this? It seems to get very hot and im wondering if it will overheat.

-Konner
 
Out of curiosity, what are the specs on your laptop? Are you running a CPU client or GPU client on it? I generally advise against running GPU clients on a laptop simply because they usually run way too hot for the subpar laptop cooling systems to handle for the production yo uget.
 
I dont know much about computers so i'll just say what i know,
AMD Turion X2 RM-75
Wistron 303C
WDC WD3200BEVT-60ZCT1


i am running CPU.
 
Download Core Temp and use it to monitor your temperatures. Please report back with the temperatures your CPU reaches while running Folding@home and we can tell you if it's safe or not.
 
I dont know much about computers so i'll just say what i know,
AMD Turion X2 RM-75
Wistron 303C
WDC WD3200BEVT-60ZCT1


i am running CPU.

I would highly recommend that you either limit cpu utilization to control heat in the config process, or just run a single instance of the classic uniprocessor client. Heat is one of the reasons why I do not fold on my laptop anymore, as mine is an HP Pavilion with an AMD Turion 64 X2 Ultra running at 2.5ghz. These Turion 64's are supposedly rated for max temps of 72 degrees C.

When I was folding on my laptop, I had to set cpu utilization to 60% in the config to keep my core temps below 72. As 0 said, load Coretemp and see what your temps are reaching.
 
Hey if you want too go to the fourm that i started and read through it, I was in the same boat as you. There is a lot of info on that one and then if you have questions just ask. I dont really think you should run a SMP client but you maybe could if you toned it down a bit. I was hitting 70+c on mine while running SMP. Make sure you also have a lot of open space around your computer so that way it is gettign fresh air. Don't let it fold while on a bed or something. If you want get one of those laptop coolers that pull air away from your computer. It could help lower your temps. I think yesterday while i was adding stuff to your comptuer it was hitting like 64c using HWmonitor..
 
I did have one of those laptop cooling fans, but then i lost the USB power cord and it's impossible to find just the cord. I think i am going to plug my old Dell back together and just have it run F@H until it wont run anymore, its a 2000 year model so i doubt it can go fast but it will be a better use for it than gathering dust in the basement. Will F@H run on windows XP?
 
i would say run the uni-cpu client on that 2000 dell

just downlaod the .exe and run, dont add flags or anything fancy


and yes, F@H runs on Windows XP,


As Zero82z said, what temp's is Core Temp giving you while folding?
 
I did have one of those laptop cooling fans, but then i lost the USB power cord and it's impossible to find just the cord. I think i am going to plug my old Dell back together and just have it run F@H until it wont run anymore, its a 2000 year model so i doubt it can go fast but it will be a better use for it than gathering dust in the basement. Will F@H run on windows XP?
It will run, but it's not worth running Folding@home on such an old machine.
 
It will run, but it's not worth running Folding@home on such an old machine.

the uni-processor client would be worth it, there are not nearly the amount of machines running it, and units are still being released for it that should/need to get done....so it would be worth it.....points are not everything remember
 
the uni-processor client would be worth it, there are not nearly the amount of machines running it, and units are still being released for it that should/need to get done....so it would be worth it.....points are not everything remember

Where do i download the Uni-Proccesor client? and where do i download the dual-proccesor client?
 
UniProcess and Multi core ones are the same client


To run Uni-Proccessor you just run the .exe as I said

to do SMP, the multi-core one, you add a flag, -smp, to the target line on the shortcut for the .exe


I ask again though, What Temp is CoreTemp giving you while running your CPU at 100%?
 
the uni-processor client would be worth it, there are not nearly the amount of machines running it, and units are still being released for it that should/need to get done....so it would be worth it.....points are not everything remember
Points aren't everything, but it's also not worth the cost of power to run the machine considering how slow it would be. The minimum I'd use for a uniprocessor client would be a Pentium 4, and even then, the performance per energy consumed would not be very good.
 
Sorry for not answering the question, i am at school right now on a school computer.
I am not at home with my laptop so i cannot answer that question until later tonight,
 
UniProcess and Multi core ones are the same client


To run Uni-Proccessor you just run the .exe as I said

to do SMP, the multi-core one, you add a flag, -smp, to the target line on the shortcut for the .exe


I ask again though, What Temp is CoreTemp giving you while running your CPU at 100%?

My bad, im extremely computer illiterate so i dont know much, hopefully hangin around here enough will give me some more knowlede from you smart guys ;)
 
ahh, ok, when you get them, let us know and we can tell you then if from a power/heat perspective it is even a good idea to run the F@H client


Points aren't everything, but it's also not worth the cost of power to run the machine considering how slow it would be. The minimum I'd use for a uniprocessor client would be a Pentium 4, and even then, the performance per energy consumed would not be very good.

and what if energy is not a concern to him?
 
are your parents ok with th extra energy usage then ?

Thats another important factor to look at
 
And how would your parents feel about paying more money to power a machine like this just for folding? If they're okay with it then it's fine, but you should run it by them before you do anything.
 
Konner take in everything they are saying then when you arnt busy ill show you on my rig how to change everything. I can show you my smp profile or anything like that and show you everything they are saying. It gets pretty confusing cuz there is so much.
 
are your parents ok with th extra energy usage then ?

Thats another important factor to look at

I doubt they would care, as long as it's not pornographic images im using the power to look at they dont care. if they were that concerned with power bills we wouldn't have a hottub and pool pump running 24/7
 
I ran it by my parents and they didnt like the idea (my mom lost her job and step dad cant afford our house by himself) so they didnt want me running the bill up. I still run it sometimes just not as much as id like :(
 
And how would your parents feel about paying more money to power a machine like this just for folding? If they're okay with it then it's fine, but you should run it by them before you do anything.

My Grandmother on one side passed away from Breast Cancer and she had Alzheimers at the time she passed away, my Grandfather on the other side died of Lung Cancer, now my Great Uncle is suffering from Testicular Cancer that he got from being near unstable materials in Vietnam. As long as folding gives the slight possibilty of helping find a solution/cause to cancer they dont care.
 
i think something might melt. its a 106C!!!!
I'm shutting down as soon as i finish this virus scan then never folding while the computer is in use. ill just start it before school and end it when i get home
 
I would suggest not folding, especially at those temps....you will probably shorten your lifespan of the laptop by a ton
 
I would suggest not folding, especially at those temps....you will probably shorten your lifespan of the laptop by a ton

make sure none of the air vents are blocked on your laptop. Another thing to try is to see if you can get some space between the bottom of the laptop and the table - that might allow for some better air circulation.

But I agree - those temps are way too high.

 
Yeah I agree with everyone else wait untill you build your computer dont fold on that laptop. And I dont really think you will meet deadline for a lot of units either but im not sure. I got a report on friday and then left all weekend and had to let it fold all night to make deadline and that was with a i7 overclocked lol.
 
Okay, yeh it is running 58c when i just had iTunes running all night, its crazy that it got up to 115c, i agree , i shall wait to fold.
 
Back
Top