I'm having trouble with a home network

dagon11985

Gawd
Hardware:

Computer A: Fairly new computer, uses Vista Ultimate.

Computer B: Somewhat old, uses a fresh XP installation.

Modem: Siemens Speedstream

Router: Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router

Problem: I've lost my Linksys Router's Software CD, and I have been unable to setup a home network. Computer A is fully connected to the net whereas Computer B is not. Comp B "seems" connected to the net, as it recieves and sends data, but I've been unable to surf the web on this computer.

I tried to directly connect my Siemens modem to Comp B and the net -still- does not work. What could be the cause of this? What can I do to resolve my problem?

Open up a command prompt and type:
Code:
ipconfig /all

Copy and paste the result of that.

Problem: I've lost my Linksys Router's Software CD, and I have been unable to setup a home network.

Fast answer that kevinzak is attempting to show you - you don't need the CD.
Just the information from the working PC, which will help the board show you the correct settings for the non-working PC.

So, Start > Run > CMD ... then type ipconfig /all

yeah, sounds like you're not getting an IP address from the router on comp B. did you install NIC drivers? I ask because you say it's a fresh install . . .
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

that CD is crap. Take that CD and throw it out the window. Also, what modem are you talking about? you mean the network card (NIC) is connected to one of the switch ports in the back of your router right?

Are you using a cat5e cable? straight through ? Drivers for that nic installed? Also, on the xp computer, please tell me you at least have sp2 installed?

I really like how people are still replying to this even thought he poster hasn't responded once and the question is 3 days old. :p

Back