I'm gonna reformat tomorrow

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I seem to remember that there's an order to install drivers after reformatting, but I can't remember the order. Unless I'm wrong could someone help me out?

Not sure on the proper order myself, but I would go chipset, video, sound, lan, misc. If you do not want to go through the hassle of manually updating your drivers, try slipstreaming them into your windows install, along with a service pack and hotfixes using nLite. Very simple to do and speeds up the whole reformat/install process.

Slipstream SP2 into your install disc if you haven't already.
Chipset (motherboard drivers) - Download the newest ones and have them ready beforehand.
Video
The rest of your drivers
A/V and firewall software
Windows Updates

[EDIT] I keep forgetting DirectX is included in SP2. :eek:
WTF? :p

S1nF1xx said:
Slipstream SP2 into your install disc if you haven't already.
Chipset (motherboard drivers) - Download the newest ones and have them ready beforehand.
DirectX
Video
The rest of your drivers
A/V and firewall software
Windows Updates

That's exactly what I would do too.

Is there an advantage to slipstreaming all this stuff into the OS instead of installing it after?

Takes up less space after the install (fewer $NTUNINSTALL###$ folders when integrated). That's about it.

Lyrids said:
Is there an advantage to slipstreaming all this stuff into the OS instead of installing it after?

It speeds up the process greatly and (if you choose to do so) limits user interaction. If you are like me and reinstall windows often (change hardware a lot, try new configurations and operating systems), learning how to and effectively creating a slipstream is the perfect solution. If, however, you reformat once every year or so, your time may well be better spent.

The most popular regarded order (and with good reason) would be;
Latest Service Pack (SP2 for XP)
Chipset driver
Video Driver
Sound Driver
Network Drivers
[Any other drivers you may have]
Windows Update
All your personal software

I have a nice windows install disk at which i slipstreamed SP2, 34 hotfixes (using nlite) and also included drivers for chipset, video, audio, lan, modem, monitor at $oem$ level, works awesome since it takes exactly the same time to install as a regular windows disk, but leaves my computer ready to frag :D

oldmx

Back