I'm giving in, shopping for my first laptop

nowwhatnapster

Limp Gawd
Never owned a laptop, but I'm finding I need some portability these days to appease others. Seems like laptops GPU's are finally robust enough to push 1920x1080 with decent frame rates. Looking for suggestions as I am new to this market.

Budget: $1000-1250

Requirements
  • LCD 15" IPS 1920x1080
  • CPU (min) i7
  • RAM (min) 16GB
  • Weight (max) 7lbs
  • GPU (min) Geforce 965m
  • Warranty I usually buy parts with 5 year MFG warranties. I realize this is a different market, but I would hope to get at least a 3 year warranty on this investment

Preference (willing to make compromises here)
  • Keyboard backlit (white) with num pad
  • Battery more the better obviously, but i'm usually near power outlets
  • HDD (I have a 480GB intel 730 SATA SSD, so i don't really care what drive comes with the laptop, it just needs to support a SATA drive)
  • Appearance professional, streamline, no gaudy logo's or bezels

Suggestions?

I'd look into the new Dell XPS15 with Skylake. Looks to have everything you want in a nice package.

The specs you want with the type of warranty you're looking for are going to cost way over your $1200 spending limit. Most laptops come with a 1 year waranty. If you want to extend that by another 2 years it's going to cost you on average an additional $200 - $300. If you factor that into your price limit you're looking at a laptop that cost about $900 - $1000. Your best bet is to go OEM. @Vengence_01 had the good idea. Look at Sager (Sager NP7255 (Clevo N155RD). If you don't customize it much you'll be able to order this 15" model plus add a 3 year warranty for about what you want to spend.

In your case, I'd focus on seeing what systems are on offer from vendors you like within your budget to get a feel for what's on offer, rather than hoping there's a system that'll meet your budget. I'm concerned that asking for a Core i7, 16GB of RAM, a 965M and a 3-year warranty is going to cost you a lot more than $1,250, especially if you want it in a reasonably portable, well-built design.

Back