I'm fed up with looking for a laptop. Had to settle.

zamardii

2[H]4U
I have been spending weeks looking for a laptop for school to do my papers on that wasn't too big. I haven't bought a laptop in years and had no idea what the market had in store for me. A couple of things about the laptop market confuse me and annoy me to wholly hell.

1. Why are bigger screen laptops cheaper than smaller screen laptops? I am not talking about your budget laptops vs ultrabooks, but what I am saying is that if I was looking for a cheap computer for school that was about 14" in screen size which is the sweet spot, then all of the ones I have found are about equal price (but worse specs), or more expensive.

2. Why do almost 90%+ of the laptops I find have numeric keypads? Back when I bought a HP Laptop at Best Buy for close to $1000 that had a 900mhz processor (yeah, that long ago), none of the laptops had numeric keypads. Has the market really shown over the years, that people need that? I mean, how often do you really use it or need it? They always had USB numpads you could buy if you needed it, but why do almost all the laptops under $500 have that? Makes no sense. More cost in material, and more bulk and size in the laptop.

3. Where are the backlit keyboards? Back when Macbooks were coming out, that was always a standout feature but when you go to HP's website and are configuring a laptop, you have the option of a backlit keyboard (for the DV6T series which is the cheapest laptop from HP that you have a backlit keyboard as a option) for only $20. So why isn't this in more laptops? The laptop I had to settle for now, I am using a USB LED light I bought from Ebay for $3 so I can type at night. You would assume after so long that this would be a standard feature in all laptops. LEDs are cheap. And as far as I am aware, Sony is the only laptop maker where pretty much every laptop series of theres has backlit keyboards.

So what am I left to do? Of course I had to settle. And even when I go back to the slickdeals forums, people are telling me I didn't get a good deal for what I paid but at the same time didn't offer me any other ideas on what would be a better deal for my money. These last 3 weeks have been infuriating after searching all the inventory of Newegg, Tiger Direct, Fry's, Ebay, Target, Walmart, Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy, and finding literally nothing that was a good compromise or that was worthy of my money.

I know when you are working with a budget you have to settle sometimes, but there is no excuse to the amount of sacrifices that have to be made in the price range of $500. If i had to add an additional $50 to get that sweet spot then I would, but I found nothing. So I find myself at Target after taking back a 11.6" Asus Vivobook I had bought to Staples because it was too small for my huge hands, and the computer kept shutting itself off, and I was looking at their small selection of laptops and found a 15.6" Gateway for $369 that was temporarily marked down from it usual $429 price so I picked that up thinking I found a good deal but nobody I have asked thinks it's a good deal. I posted the link and specs below, but i am kind of forced to settle at this point. It's too big to be really portable which is what I need and the screen is pretty low quality but it has multi-tasked so far pretty well. I would rather settle with a i3 processor than a similar speced laptop with a A6-4400 laptop or some such equivalent. Maybe a year or two down the road I will be able to afford the perfect laptop for my portable years. I just feel quite ridiculous with this monstrosity in my backpack.

My perfect laptop would be at the least be like this:

14" screen @ least with 1366 x 768
At least 6 hours battery life
At least 4gb Ram (would love 8)
320gb SSD at least)
Core i5
backlit keyboard
solid/good construction
no numeric pad

Anyway, here is what I got. I am leaving town this Friday for two weeks and needed a laptop to do my work while gone so it's pretty impossible for me to exchange at this point. But if anyone has any suggestions, I will be going up to Ohio so I could probably take it back to a Target up there if I find a good enough deal to exchange it for. Or, if you have any comments about what I have then let let it rip. :p

http://www.target.com/p/gateway-15-...-memory-black/-/A-14293001#prodSlot=large_1_4

Gateway NV Series (NV56R14U-US)

Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768
Intel Core i3-2328M @ 2.2GHZ max
RAM: 4096 MB
500GB Hard Drive
Windows 8 64bit
Ethernet
3 USB Ports (NO USB 3.0 )
Intel HD 3000 Graphics
802.11b/g/n
DVD-RW 8x

The first thing that comes to mind is that you might be well-served by keeping an eye on the Lenovo & Dell Outlets. With a little luck you might find something nice in your price range. For Lenovo I'd suggest looking at the X and T series. With Dell you might want to look for a Latitude.

Otherwise keep in mind that your budget is considered to be "low" for a laptop @ only $500, so it's not surprising that you have to make some sacrifices.

Smaller laptops are more expensive because it's harder to fit the same parts into a smaller package without having overheating/other issues. Or that's been my understanding.

Consider the Thinkpad Edge 430: The "Edge" series of Thinkpads is the budget business class notebook. This particular model is the 14" one. The quality is not as as high as what you will find in the X, T, or W-series, but that's why it's considered the budget option and it will probably still be better than a cheap consumer laptop. I think it has everything you want and fits into your price range.

Also check out the Dell Vostro line. Again, these are the "budget" business-class laptops, so you won't get quite the same quality as you would from a Latitude or a Precision, but still likely to beat most cheap consumer options. They have 13" and 14" options that fit approximately into your price range.

As for screen quality & backlighting -- check out the individual laptops. Some of the ones I mention do have it though. Google a review of whichever one you like to read up on the screen.

[edit] By the way, you might want to look for not just an i3 or i5, but a 3rd Gen version. You can tell by the number on the processor. The CPU in your Gateway is i3-2328M -- the number that I bolded/underlined shows that this is a 2nd gen processor. The third gen ones will have a 3 in that position.

Last edited:
I'll second OrangeWolf

I have a Lenovo 14" Y480 that I bought about two years ago. Core i5, discrete graphics, and really solid build quality. It was an outlet that I paid only $800 or so for, great deal!

If you go outside the Y-series (which is really gaming/multimedia focused) you can save some money and get an even better deal.

Stop whining and go buy yourself a Lenovo T430 from the Lenovo Outlet.

No backlit keyboard but its got a light built into the lid.

Stop whining and go buy yourself a Lenovo T430 from the Lenovo Outlet.

No backlit keyboard but its got a light built into the lid.
Pretty sure that some of the T430 models have backlit keyboards as well as the ThinkLight, similar to the X230 having both.

On another note, since I didn't mention any Ideapads earlier, there are also some U310 (13") and U410 (14") Ideapads on Lenovo's outlet for <$500. I think they technically classify as ultrabooks.

They have the Low Voltage processors (the "U" on the end denotes this), but since you're just doing schoolwork (not gaming, or doing other high end things) it might actually be nice. Should have decent battery life and fast start-up.

I think they have glossy screens, which I'm not a huge fan of, but you might like them. Look up a review or two and consider it. I'd probably go with a Thinkpad but I'm a Thinkpad fanboy so that doesn't mean much.

[edit for examples]:
Z380 -- 13.3" screen, i5-3210M, 6GB RAM -- $483
U310 -- 13.3" screen, i5-3317U, 4GB RAM -- $483
U410 -- 14.1" screen, i5-3317U, 6GB RAM, Geforce 610M -- $462
Z480 -- $411

Dell has some options in your price range on their outlet too.

^ Just some examples of the types of things you can find on an outlet. Most of those were refurbished but you'll notice that there are also "new" options on the outlet -- I think these are usually brand new machines that were bought & returned, so a fantastic buy!

Again I would suggest looking more at the T-series myself, but at the moment there aren't any super cheap ones available in the newest lines. Offerings on outlets change regularly though, so check a few times a day and hope you get lucky.

Just remember that with a price range of $500 up to $550 max you are solidly in the "budget computers" only bracket. You have to sacrifice something somewhere to get a machine worth having.

I am not personally a fan of your Gateway purchase, but at <$400 if you're happy with it then... well, then you're happy with it. The price is low enough that it's hard to find fault, but I think you could do a lot better. Grab a higher quality brand & a smaller screen, for the win.

[edit2] On another note, you can get a new Sony with an i3, which you mentioned earlier, for $550. Also a new Dell Vostro for $520.

Last edited:
Back