I'm curious... about your storage

A friend of mine has just about every movie imaginable, with loads of music, and games stored on his hard drives. ~10 TB.
All you guys with 10+ TB what do you guys store? I guess I'm trying to see the reasoning behind it, as I'm currently looking for more storage for myself.

Depending on quality, he could store a lot of them. I have 6 movies that are ripped at med quality and it eats up almost 5GB. Move up to HD and 10TB won't be enough for "about every movie imaginable, with loads of music, and games"....

I suspect all of his media files are of low quality.

Non formatted I have 12TB, 7.1TB usable though due to raid z2.

I backup all other computers and devices (desktop, phone, and even my router config) to my zfs setup. Other than that I also store HD media on it and serve it with Plex.

EDIT: I am also starting to run out of space... Only 1.3TB left!

We all have our reasons. You shouldn't need us to tell you why you need 10TB+. If you can't think of why you need it, you probably don't (yet?). Just for reference, I have over 100TB in my home. With that said, once you do have the space, you tend to fill it.

We all have our reasons. You shouldn't need us to tell you why you need 10TB+. If you can't think of why you need it, you probably don't (yet?). Just for reference, I have over 100TB in my home. With that said, once you do have the space, you tend to fill it.

I have roughly 70TB of Raw Storage, But I am moving from 2TB to 4TB HDD. I am truly only at 32TB of Storage I am actually using. As for what i use it for, HD movies can eat up 30GB a movie. But as Blue Fox Mention, you will find a reason to use it. I will say double your estimate and build to that. -_- I have upgrade my hardware at least 4 times, in various phases.

One bluray takes up about 30-50GB! This adds up pretty quickly.

VM snapshots, this takes up a fair bit of my storage.

Archive backups, that adds up.

A friend of mine has just about every movie imaginable, with loads of music, and games stored on his hard drives. ~10 TB.
All you guys with 10+ TB what do you guys store? I guess I'm trying to see the reasoning behind it, as I'm currently looking for more storage for myself.

A collection of all PS2 games will be > 10 TB on its own. That's just one old system. Add other systems, bluray movies, tv series in HD, ++ and you will easily fill several hundred TB of HDDs.

I was just curious, he seems to have a lot of 24/96 music, and mostly dts audio movies. I suppose maybe you guys have more movies than he does

I have 198 blu-ray movies ripped to my home server when last I checked and they take up just over 1TB, all in 1080p each with at least 2-5.1 audio tracks. The vast majority are between 3gb and 10gb for each movie. I have no idea why anyone would want to rip blu-rays so they are the full size of 30-50gb to their hard drives. That's just plain stupid, unless you like watching all the commercials before the real movie begins.

I have 198 blu-ray movies ripped to my home server when last I checked and they take up just over 1TB, all in 1080p each with at least 2-5.1 audio tracks. The vast majority are between 3gb and 10gb for each movie. I have no idea why anyone would want to rip blu-rays so they are the full size of 30-50gb to their hard drives. That's just plain stupid, unless you like watching all the commercials before the real movie begins.

Jesus dude, you have NO idea why someone might not want to settle for lower quality rips of movies?

Ripping a BluRay to disk doesn't mean you have to include the commercials, duh! You can remux the main movie to .mkv, keeping the quality while gaining the usability of MKVs.

Jesus dude, you have NO idea why someone might not want to settle for lower quality rips of movies?
You know how BluRay's are mastered, right?

They crank up the bitrate (weather it's needed to retain quality or not) until the video fills up the entire disk. Doesn't matter what quality the source is, it's inflated to fill the entire BluRay.

You can re-compress the video and decrease the bitrate to what's ACTUALLY required to retain the original quality of the video. This saves space with no noticeable reduction in image quality.

They crank up the bitrate (weather it's needed to retain quality or not) until the video fills up the entire disk. Doesn't matter what quality the source is, it's inflated to fill the entire BluRay.

You can re-compress the video and decrease the bitrate to what's ACTUALLY required to retain the original quality of the video. This saves space with no noticeable reduction in image quality.

This.

It doesn't matter if its called blu-ray or not, its still 1080p. The quality of the video is the same. All the movies I have ripped to my home server are 1080p and you cannot tell the difference between the actual blu-ray movie and the rip and they are 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the actual blu-ray disk.

its still 1080p. The quality of the video is the same.
Not true. Just being 1080p doesn't make everything perfect... If you drop the bitrate too far, 1080p can look as bad as SD Xvid VHS rip downloaded off Kazaa in 2001.

There's more to video encoding than resolution.

Now, that said, most BluRay's are horribly bloated, using more than twice the bitrate actually required to maintain the quality of the video (especially if variable bitrate wasn't employed when the BluRay was mastered). It's quite possible to shrink a 2-hour movie on a 50GB BluRay to ~15GB without being able to tell the difference between the rip and the original.

You can, but that's not what I was commenting on. The guy has said ~1TB and ~200 movies. That's ~5GB/movie and is not going to be enough.

It's quite possible to shrink a 2-hour movie on a 50GB BluRay to ~15GB without being able to tell the difference between the rip and the original.

Yeah in ~15GB or so is pretty indistinguishable, but that is lots of encoding time. Movies don't start out as 50GB. Avg remux is ~22GB or so. I don't see huge benefit in enocding that down to ~15GB.

Comparing averages is hard, here is Elysium:
Bluray 41.97GB
Remux (no re-encode, just movie+audio in mkv container) 20.76GB
Good quality rip (Taken from DoN release on HDBits) 15.06GB
Scene releases 6-8GB???

If your'e happy with 6-8GB rips fine, but how do you have NO IDEA why someone might not want that? I've started to just go for Remux because its best compromise, IMO, saves enough space, no encoding, single mkv file is pretty portable.

Last edited:
You can, but that's not what I was commenting on. The guy has said ~1TB and ~200 movies. That's ~5GB/movie and is not going to be enough.

Yeah in ~15GB or so is pretty indistinguishable, but that is lots of encoding time. Movies don't start out as 50GB. Avg remux is ~22GB or so. I don't see huge benefit in enocding that down to ~15GB.

Bluray 41.97GB
Good quality rip (Taken from DoN release on HDBits) 15.06GB
Scene releases 6-8GB???

If your'e happy with 6-8GB rips fine, but how do you have NO IDEA why someone might not want that? I've started to just go for Remux because its best compromise, IMO, saves enough space, no encoding, single mkv file is pretty portable.

Funny you should mention Elysium, I have it both ripped and on blu-ray. My final rip is 4.30gb and I cannot tell the difference between that and the original blu-ray. I do have older DVD rips of 720p movies and look horrible compared to my blu-ray rips but my point was, why rip a 50gb blu-ray to your hard disk down to 20+gb when you can rip the same movie down to 5gb with no visible difference in quality?

I have no idea how much space I save by not adding the extras, subtitles, extra language tracks and all the other bullshit on a blu-ray, but I wouldn't think it would be 15gb.

why rip a 50gb blu-ray to your hard disk down to 20+gb when you can rip the same movie down to 5gb with no visible difference in quality?.

Because there is a difference in quality between most bluray sized movies / remuxes and a 5 GB reencode. How much you notice depends on the movie, you, your monitor/projector and viewing distance/environment.

well, on blu-ray disks, I think what youre storing most of; is the audio. especially dts hd, not just 5.1

If your'e happy with 6-8GB rips fine, but how do you have NO IDEA why someone might not want that?
8.7 GB is fairly common for scene releases so that the resultant rip can be burned to an AVCHD-DVD.

AVCDH-DVD = BluRay structure burned to a DVD (effectively the modern version of an S-VCD). 8.7GB is just small enough to fit on DVD-9 (dual-layer DVD) media.

Once burned to an AVCHD-DVD, the resultant disc will play exactly like a BluRay disc in any set-top BluRay player. It will still be 1080p h.264 video with DTS audio, just with reduced bitrate vs. the original.

What is this DVD burning you speak of? Is this a thing of the past?
This might shock you, but most people don't have multi-terrabyte storage arrays to store their entire movie collection in HD quality (especially people downloading scene releases instead of ripping their own movies) :rolleyes:

These poor souls subsist on set-top BluRay players and physical discs (or the aforementioned AVCHD-DVD's) for their HD media consumption.

Bluray 41.97GB

Does that include lossless audio? I'd think a lot of people going to to the trouble of building large storage arrays for movies probably aren't listening through TV speakers or cheap HTIBs.

Seems silly to do that when it's far more expensive to use DVD9 over a hard drive. They cost ~$60 per TB ($0.50 per in bulk on newegg). Hard drives are far less.

Really? Can someone confirm this? Any links? Sounds a bit strange?

Really? Can someone confirm this? Any links? Sounds a bit strange?
Strange? How so?

If you encode everything as small as possible (without losing quality) and find it's only 26GB, that leaves 24GB of wasted space on a normal 50GB BluRay.

Might as well crank up the bitrate and make use of it. It doesn't cost any extra money or take any extra time to press a 50GB BluRay with 50GB of data on it vs. a 50GB BluRay with 26GB of data on it.

Even if that's true (or let's say, can be true depending on the source material, especially cheap TV movies or old movies with subpar digitalization), that doesn't mean that you can compress them without losing some quality. It means that the people at the movie/Blu-Ray studio could have done it.

I store movies and tv shows on my drives, mix of hd and sd rips.
14tb internal storage and 2 tb external.
Music and games are less than 1tb.

Oh FFS, if you want decent HD video, you will be looking at 5GB per hour of 1080p + DTS, anything less is throwing away detail for the sake of space. If you think anything less is good then stay AVI's and get out of the thread, while at it, get out of the storage forums as well.

Now, back to the OP and topic;
45TB RAW on Server 2012 with Storage spaces in Norco 4224.
26 HDD's on onboard SATA and 2x M1015's (LSI IT Flashed)
5x 1GbE NIC's (4GbE LACP/LAG to LAN-Party network, 1GbE to home network)

No issues and only lost 1 drive to Click of Death.

Lots of DSLR pictures including the raws from both me and my wife.

Many audio recordings (my own) in wav format.

Many PXE boot installations with bad deduplication (my fault).

I have to watch the blu ray disks I legally bought through the HD since I don't use windows and that's how it works on Linux and FreeBSD. Same for HD-DVD and my HD-DVD drive isn't always available due to multiboot, so the movies get cached.

There's also Tivo programs which wipe out a lot of disk space.

Snapshots. I try to be nice and keep things less noisy. But it doesn't always work out.

Back