I'm back to F@H...

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
I'm back cranking it up for [H] F@H after my 1 million points on boinc WCG [H] team after 3 months.

So far I got
server: -smp + -bigadv
gaming pc: -smp + -bigadv + GPU
mom pc (AMD x4): 3 normal clients
and 2 PS3's.

I hope to gain up to alot of you. :)

We just need to get more GPU's to get away from EVGA, don't ya think?

Actually, the team is moving toward Core i7s & Dual Xeon 5500 builds.

A lot better points per watt ratio. Also less heat.

GPUs are good, but the new bonus system with A3 units .. makes SMP better

We just need to get more GPU's to get away from EVGA, don't ya think?

With summer coming and the heat that is being put out by the GPUs, a lot of people (including myself) are contemplating moving to an emphasis on SMP. I will possibly be idling 3 x 9800GX2's this summer because my office is already starting to warm up a lot and we only just started April. I hope to make up the production with other SMP2 and Big Adv clients. More Production with less heat and lower power draw.

Well I figured with those types of setup you would atleast have the computer room/office with an A/C unit.

Well I figured with those types of setup you would atleast have the computer room/office with an A/C unit.

It quickly gets to 1 of 2 points:

1) The room still gets to warm and the AC is running at full Tilt.

2) The cost of the power on running the AC could have purchased a i7 rig by the end of the summer.

Both is also an option.

I get 30k ppd out of nexus (specs in sig) and it only pulls 200 watts. With 9800GX2 cards it takes 750 from the wall to make she same ppd. Then ya add the power to remove that much heat. It just isn't worth running a GPU farm durring a hot summer.

And K gets 30k with the 5530's at stock, you are running 5570's!!!!

Welcome to the fold man, were glad to have you aboard during these troubling times, and you have some nice ass hardware there! The Top 20 is really gonna get crowded now, and I'm back off it because I just sold my 295's to pay for a Fermi and the memory on my dual xeon (5530's as well, same as Kendrak)

Here's to the dually club!
and bigadv in general, we just like to go the extra mile and be that much more [H]ard

Plus ya, the last few days weve actually been making a dent in EVGA progress, the first time weve been able to not only slow down their overtake time, but were actually pushing it back ever so slightly now

well I have a E5520 in the closet I need a 2nd e5520, DS board, video card* and memory.

* if it's not onboard.

EDIT: 30K per month or per day? cause if it's per day than I have a major issue.

EDIT: 30K per month or per day? cause if it's per day than I have a major issue.

My Dual X5550 @ 2.93 Ghz (Turbo Mode / HT On) can get almost 26,000 Points Per Day

My Dual E5530 @ 2.40 (No Turbo / HT On) can get almost 20,000 Points Per Day

Welcome back to the Fold!! :cool:

yeahthat.gif

My dual E5530s (no Turbo/ HT on) running A3 get about 17k PPD
My Dual E5530s (Turbo/ No HT) Running Bigadv VM get 25k PPD

2x E5530 at stock, no turbo (stupid mobo and linux :mad:) with HT on linux. 29k ppd

16 threads of goodness. It's over 1/2 my daily production, and just from one box and 200 watts.

talked to EvilAlchemist about why I saw 2700 ppd... well I was using F@H mon and that wasn't caluating the bonus.
So now...
x2 x5570's no turbo and HT on (B0 can't do turbo :( ) I get 23k ppd
i7 950 @ 4.2 17k ppd.

talked to EvilAlchemist about why I saw 2700 ppd... well I was using F@H mon and that wasn't caluating the bonus.
So now...
x2 x5570's no turbo and HT on (B0 can't do turbo :( ) I get 23k ppd
i7 950 @ 4.2 17k ppd.

Now that is running A3 core.

If you get the itch to go higher, -bigadv is the way to go.

yes, but you might consider removing -bigadv so it doesnt get confused

It is set in the config.cfg do I need to add it like -bigadv? like...
"Z:\BLAH BLAH\[email protected]" -smp 7 -bigadv -advmethods
You will need to install an older version of VMware Player 3.0 and then DL one of the Linux F@H images or install your own Linux distro to run -bigadv WUs. That's the only way currently because they are A2 WUs which are only supported in Linux. It could take months before we see Windows A3 -bigadv WUs. There is no ETA on their release yet.

Trust me and those recommending to go -bigadv. Your hardware is not being fully utilized processing A3 WUs, it could do a LOT better with -bigadv WUs. Use what you have to its fullest potential is my motto.

For those with 5500-series Xeons who are working on A3 SMP units, why not run -bigadv instead? Is it a VM thing or another reason...?? :confused:

For those with 5500-series Xeons who are working on A3 SMP units, why not run -bigadv instead? Is it a VM thing or another reason...?? :confused:

VMware wont install on my Server 2008 R2 machine?? I guees my install is borked, but everything else i use it for right now works great so I am not going to reimage my box just to run a bigadv VM.

VMware wont install on my Server 2008 R2 machine?? I guees my install is borked, but everything else i use it for right now works great so I am not going to reimage my box just to run a bigadv VM.
Understood, no problem. Did you try another VM software by any chance? I noticed that some people have tried folding on other VM software but don't know which support 8+ cores and how good they are.

I forget the name, but the other VM app, the one that does 16 cores, loses a lot of performance after 4 cores, it doesn't scale well at all

Virtual Box is the other free one. I always assumed there was a reason no one uses it for folding, but never looked into it very far.

I heard bad things about VB as well; isn't there another one?

I heard bad things about VB as well; isn't there another one?
No; not as far as I've ever heard at least. The three big varieties of VM software are VMWare, VirtualBox, and Virtual PC (which is pretty much useless for folding).

Hard for me to tell.....maybe EA will have some input as he has more boxes to compare.

From what I remember Evil runs sever on most/all of his folding rigs because the core is a bit more geared to multi threading.

Or so I remember.

its based on win7, which is more optimized for threading than the older one which is based off of Vista

I'm Gonna have to look into getting a few copies of 7 once WinBigAdvA3 comes out

Does server 08 R2 help on the PPD more then win 7 pro 64bit?

From what I remember Evil runs sever on most/all of his folding rigs because the core is a bit more geared to multi threading.

Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 does get better performance then older windows versions.
The new kernel stops threads from moving around to different cores during processing.
It also works better with Hyper thread cores and arranges work accordingly.

When you system is running a lite load, it will shift threads to non-maxed cores and shut others down resulting in power savings. Not that important to us folders but does help save some power during upload/download times.

I like to use Server 2008 R2 on my dedicated systems because it is very modular and have almost no services running (unless you manually turn them on).

I switched to Windows 7 on my main rig so I could have video hardware acceleration.
Server 2008 & Server 2008 R2 seem to have issues with this due to ATI / nVidia drivers on consumer video cards. There is a work around for this on the nVidia side with some rate of success.

Back