I'm a PC gamer but 2017 console exclusives look amazing

polonyc2

Fully [H]
besides Mass Effect 3 (and Dark Souls 3 final DLC) I don't know of a single other big PC game to look forward to in 2017...I'm tempted to buy a PS4 Pro for Horizon Zero Dawn and Nioh...not to mention Death Stranding, Detroit: Become Human and Last of Us: Part 2

Last edited:
Im impressed you dont have a backlog to keep you occupied in the mean time. I find it a relief when there is a pause in new games because I simply don't have the time to keep up.

A matter of taste but I think there are some interesting games slated for PC this year. Off the top of my head there is Nier Automata, Ace Combat 7, Torment 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, Prey 2, maybe Squadron 42, Crackdown 3, Quake Champions, Tekken 7, Marvel vs Capcom, South Park, Kingdom Come, Halo Wars 2 and Dawn of War 3 to name a few. BTW isnt Death Stranding also debuting on PC?

Im impressed you dont have a backlog to keep you occupied in the mean time. I find it a relief when there is a pause in new games because I simply don't have the time to keep up.

A matter of taste but I think there are some interesting games slated for PC this year. Off the top of my head there is Nier Automata, Ace Combat 7, Torment 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, Prey 2, maybe Squadron 42, Crackdown 3, Quake Champions, Tekken 7, Marvel vs Capcom, South Park, Kingdom Come, Halo Wars 2 and Dawn of War 3 to name a few. BTW isnt Death Stranding also debuting on PC?

I do have a backlog but I also like to play some new games...none of those games you listed are ones I'm interested in playing except maybe Prey 2...if that's as good as its going to get for PC in 2017 then I'm highly disappointed...as much as it pains me to say it 2017 is the year of the console!...not just in terms of games but hardware as well with the Xbox Scorpio and continued rise of the PS4 Pro

as far as Death Stranding, it's only officially confirmed for PS4 with only rumors of a PC release

God of War 4 comes out I'll get that God of War games are usually really good

None of those really interest me. I like my PS4, but I'm finding it less useful everyday. I won't be renewing my PSN subscription this year. None of the exclusives really interest me.

Nothing wrong with picking up a console but there are tons of games coming to PC this year,

http://www.pcinvasion.com/2017-and-2018-pc-game-release-date-list

For me I'll be busy with Resident Evil 7, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Mass Effect Andromeda, Nier Automata and that's just the next couple months. I also have a slight interest in Conan Exiles and Tales of Berseria.

Just a heads up there is a Berseria Demo up on Steam and I've heard it's a much better release/port than Symphonia.

...as much as it pains me to say it 2017 is the year of the console!...not just in terms of games but hardware as well with the Xbox Scorpio and continued rise of the PS4 Pro

Because of a handful of exclusives? Talk about hyperbole, the range of games available on PC has never been better and it continues to improve with even more exclusives jumping to PC. As for year of the console, more like the year that console users got suckered into an incremental upgrade cycle with little tangible benefit! :D

if you have a 4K TV with HDR it's way more then an incremental upgrade

I beg to differ, it is an incremental upgrade considering that we are talking about a tiny sampling of games that these consoles are actually capable of running at native 4K. Like the previous generation of consoles over time fewer and fewer games will be able to handle that resolution as graphics become more demanding, except now instead of these consoles lasting a decent 10 years users are now faced with the prospect of an upgrade after 3 years for a slight bump in performance.

Anyway I'm not one to tell people how to spend their hard earned cash, but like I said I think you are exaggerating the attraction of current gen consoles.

I beg to differ, it is an incremental upgrade considering that we are talking about a tiny sampling of games that these consoles are actually capable of running at native 4K. Like the previous generation of consoles over time fewer and fewer games will be able to handle that resolution as graphics become more demanding, except now instead of these consoles lasting a decent 10 years users are now faced with the prospect of an upgrade after 3 years for a slight bump in performance

the first games that came with PS4 Pro support were all patched and upscaled but starting with Horizon Zero Dawn games are being built from the ground up with native 4k support for the Pro and this will become the norm in 2017 and beyond...a faster console upgrade cycle is good thing for people that want better performance and image quality in their games...and like I said if you've never seen an OLED or 4K set with HDR content then you don't know how big of an upgrade it actually is...it's even more noticeable then the 4k itself

PC will always be better but all I'm saying is that 2017 looks like one of the best years I can recall as far as console exclusives and the lack of PC exclusives or major AAA multi-platform games makes this a down year (unless some surprise releases are in store)

I agree PC doesn't look enticing but neither do any of the consoles.
I expect to catch up a lot on my backlog. That is if I can get rid of BF1 somehow as it is taking up all my time.

those are older articles...technically it's not full 4k but it's basically 4k and the difference will be difficult to discern..."The game will be rendered in 2160p checkerboard (meaning, basically 4K) on the PlayStation 4 Pro"

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/30/horizon-zero-dawn-hands-on-preview-sony-ps4/

Uncharted The Lost Legacy should be coming this year. This whole series is a reason to get a console.

Yes, upscaled to 4K, not native 4K.....my entire point and a big difference.

it's not upscaling in the traditional sense...but my point was it's a significant upgrade and not an incremental one for those with 4k/HDR sets

Wow in one post you say it's native then in another post it's basically 4k. Do you even know! A traitor to the master race. :rolleyes::confused:

it's not technically 4k but the experts all say it's basically indistinguishable and about as close to it without it being native

It doesn't really matter to me. I never owned a console. Always been computer way back from dos 3.0. And will stay PC for everything (Gaming)!

I just talked to a guy on Steam he said Screw consoles his PC lasted him 10 years.....

I'm pretty sure the PS4 is the last dust bunny console I'll ever get just no reason plus I'm old.
I got more out of my PS3 then my PS4.

I still can't believe how many PS4 systems have sold..... like 40 million or something that is alot of plastic going to not much good use.

http://twinfinite.net/2016/01/over-35-9-million-ps4s-have-been-sold-worldwide/

Last edited:
The only console game that I'm sad isn't on PC is Last of Us. I've heard its amazing. Still.....I just can't force myself to get a console and use a controller......it makes me feel dirty lol Not to mention it's just an awful way to interact with content on a screen.

Only console exclusives I'm excited for that have been announced for this year are Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport. Forza is now a Play Anywhere title, so I'll be playing that on PC. Ni No Kuni 2 was revealed to have a PC release. For the most part all the multiplatform titles I want to play will be bought for the PC. Mass Effect is the one major exception since all my friends play on Xbox.

The big console exclusives that I'm excited for are Zelda: BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey. Last of US Part 2 will likely be a day one purchase - but I didn't think that was a 2017 release. Cool, if it is.

I was a big fan of the Mass Effect games, but I'm taking a wait and see approach to the newest one.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Horizon Zero Dawn definitely has my attention. Glad I have a PS4 to complement my PC... that may be a game a lot of people are going to wish would come over to the PC.

Yes, upscaled to 4K, not native 4K.....my entire point and a big difference.

Folks, let's get real here for a second okay because I am tired of this being said in this way. Very few, if any mainstream PC gamer on this forum or anywhere else is able to natively play games at 4K resolution with reasonable framerates. I personally spent about $2,000 6 months ago on a X99 Hexacore Intel i7-5820k build O/ced to 4.4ghz, 16gb of Quad Channel DDR 4 Ram, 1TB Samsung SSD, and a GTX 1080 and was unable to achieve native 4K gaming on most recent games on max settings. In-fact most games I played at High with some medium settings.

As someone who has a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One S and a upcoming Scorpio, I can tell you that hands-on the PS4 Pro what it is able to achieve between checkerboarding and it's upscaling abilities is phenomenal and commendable and PC gamers should really be able to appreciate it (if they've experienced it firsthand) how incredible "4K" HDR games look on a PS4 Pro. The fact that Sony has been able to achieve what it has at the price-point it has for $400 is nothing short of amazing when I couldn't get a near $2,000 computer to play games at 4K comfortably. The difference between native 4K and checkboarded 2160p is nigh indistinguishable to me.

So let's move on from this desire to say that "Yeah well, the PS4 Pro and Scorpio won't be able to do native 4K," which may be the case, but also most computer systems can't do native 4K reliably either without concessions in quality settings let-alone for $400. Remember that. So it's a moot argument. The time of the consoles being wholly inferior to PCs is gone. Having experienced myself both first-hand I can assure all of you that not only is it incredibly impressive, but the 4K it does push out is near indistinguishable from native 4K games and this is the opinion of many other folks who have written about this. PCs always will have strength in specs, but the consoles increasingly with each generation will close the gap and especially if we see mid-life refreshes like we have seen this generation it will narrow that gap even further. The jump from graphics from the PS4 to the Pro is striking in my opinion and worthy of praise for what it has achieved for the price-point it is at.

Last edited:
Lower the graphical settings to console levels and lower the acceptable framerates to (sub) 30 and you'll find a much larger number of PCs capable of running even real 4K.

There is no way in hell that's true. Not anywhere near a $400 price-point, and like I said coming from someone who has both a 4K-native capable PC rig and a PS4 Pro with HDR 4K tv the "4K" graphics I have seen on the PS4 Pro are phenomenal. In fact, I would argue that Uncharted 4 is the best looking game on any platform whether console or PC at the moment even without the enhancements of the Pro.

jFcbzyASX5U8H2j4EufWS9.png

These are at pretty high settings (higher than anything on consoles) and true 4K. And keep in mind that any gaming PC bought in the last half a decade or so is more than capable (relative to PS4 pro) with current gen mid end or last gen or two high end GPUs, so there are no high prices involved today.

The fact that Sony has been able to achieve what it has at the price-point it has for $400 is nothing short of amazing when I couldn't get a near $2,000 computer to play games at 4K comfortably. The difference between native 4K and checkboarded 2160p is nigh indistinguishable to me

excellent point...

I think most people on this forum don't own or haven't seen in person an HDR capable set with HDR content...that to me is way more impressive then the jump from 1080p to 4k (where you need to be really close to the screen to really see the differences)...and if Dolby Vision (versus the current HDR10) ever becomes mainstream look out!...I think Mass Effect 3 is the first game that supports Dolby Vision...should look unreal on supported screens!

as far as the main point of this thread...it's not to knock PC gaming which is still my preferred gaming platform but it's to say that 2017 looks pretty weak on the PC gaming front...I just named 5 PS4 exclusive titles in my first post...no one can name 5 major PC (or multiplatform) titles coming out this year (besides Mass Effect 3) which is my point

Last edited:
besides Mass Effect 3 (and Dark Souls 3 final DLC) I don't know of a single other big PC game to look forward to in 2017...I'm tempted to buy a PS4 Pro for Horizon Zero Dawn and Nioh...not to mention Death Stranding, Detroit: Become Human and Last of Us: Part 2

Plenty of good games coming to PC this year, but yes the PS4 has some decent exclusives. With Ace Combat 7 being a PS4 exclusive and a PS VR exclusive only to be announced for PC as well, I think some of those you listed will change as well. I imagine Death Stranding will. The ones made by Sony in house, not a chance though.

Would also help to know what kind of games you want to play. I will admit, 2017 so far looks to be a bit less interesting. This year we had Deus Ex, Dishonored 2, BF1, Watch Dogs 2 and some others. Next year the only things I can think of for myself are Ace Combat 7, Mass Effect and Rising Storm 2 Vietnam. The new Ghost Recon spin off if you're into co-op I guess. I suppose as the year goes on, we'll see some more games announced for release.

Though when I think of it, many of the games I played this year (Rise of The Tomb Raider, JC3) were actually from last year, so maybe this year wasn't that noteworthy either.

Plenty of good games coming to PC this year, but yes the PS4 has some decent exclusives. With Ace Combat 7 being a PS4 exclusive and a PS VR exclusive only to be announced for PC as well, I think some of those you listed will change as well. I imagine Death Stranding will. The ones made by Sony in house, not a chance though.

Would also help to know what kind of games you want to play. I will admit, 2017 so far looks to be a bit less interesting. This year we had Deus Ex, Dishonored 2, BF1, Watch Dogs 2 and some others. Next year the only things I can think of for myself are Ace Combat 7, Mass Effect and Rising Storm 2 Vietnam. The new Ghost Recon spin off if you're into co-op I guess. I suppose as the year goes on, we'll see some more games announced for release.

Though when I think of it, many of the games I played this year (Rise of The Tomb Raider, JC3) were actually from last year, so maybe this year wasn't that noteworthy either.

There are a couple multi-platform titles I have been considering getting on PC as opposed to console, but PS4 does have an insane amount of great games coming this year. The games i'll be getting this year (if released) for PS4:

Gran Turismo Sport (full PSVR functionality too)
Days Gone
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Uncharted 4: The Lost Legacy
Detroit: Become Human
Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
Ace Combat 7 (coming to PC too, but full VR functionality on PSVR only)
Red Dead Redemption 2

Future:

The Last of Us 2

Multi-platform titles:

Shenmue 3
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Prey (questionable)
Outlast 2
South Part: The Fractured But Whole

Either way you look at it, it's going to be a great year. The biggest ones for me this year are RDR 2, Ace Combat 7, and Mass Effect. It's going to be a good year no matter what platform you are on, but I will say that it's not to have options because there are some PS4 exclusives that I just can not fucking wait for mainly in Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and The Last of Us 2 which will likely not come out this year but it's still an exclusive so it counts.

I may be going the other direction. I have about every console the last two gens. There is just not enough time to play everything, and I have to continue to pay online fees for all of them, and now upgrade every few years to boot, what's the point?

I may be going the other direction. I have about every console the last two gens. There is just not enough time to play everything, and I have to continue to pay online fees for all of them, and now upgrade every few years to boot, what's the point?

I always have been and always will be a PC gamer, but to be fair, most of us are upgrading video cards every 1-2 years which, depending on your flavor, costs slightly less or much more than a new console.

Same issue with VR.

I've got a Vive capable system, but game selection looks way better for PSVR in 2017 :(

I picked up an Xbox One S over the holidays but honestly, it's really just for social gaming on the couch.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is gonna be sweet tho....

As someone who has 'em all - I'd only say that the PS4 has some great exclusives. The Xbox One has next to nothing (at least worth playing) that can't be had on the PC. It's by far the console I use least and I'm a WiiU owner, too. Outside of yelling at it to turn off and on (I run my cable through it), I never use it for anything.

Same issue with VR.

I've got a Vive capable system, but game selection looks way better for PSVR in 2017 :(

That's why I sold my Vive 4 months ago and now have a PSVR. The games are a lot better, and sadly although the Vive is a incredible piece of tech is just a overly expensive tech demo. It won't be until another 2 generations or HMDs until it's more widespread and cheap enough to be worth it.

Back