I'm a high sens claw gripper. Currently using G5 & Func Archetype but need advice.

roper512

Limp Gawd
First, my Func pad has worn out in most spots as I've had it for years. Unfortunately it seems like Funcs website is down and they are not responding to my emails so I can't get a new pad to go into the MBA holder. So, are there any mousepads out there that are similar? Fast, slick, not too large? I'm not partial to hard or soft pads, just want a similar feel.

Also, I currently use a 1st gen G5.. I love the mouse but I kind of hate that it only has one thumb button :( Does anyone here use a G400 who has also used a G5? How would you compare the two?

Thanks!

G400 looks okay, never used one myself. I went from a G5 to a G500 and really happy with that upgrade and the extra buttons (my G5 was a newer 2 button version even).

The G500 is only $10 more if you catch it on sale for $50 like it currently is at Best Buy and Amazon. I think it's well worth the extra few dollars, has one more button, and I really like that scroll wheel.

G400 looks okay, never used one myself. I went from a G5 to a G500 and really happy with that upgrade and the extra buttons (my G5 was a newer 2 button version even).

The G500 is only $10 more if you catch it on sale for $50 like it currently is at Best Buy and Amazon. I think it's well worth the extra few dollars, has one more button, and I really like that scroll wheel.

I own a G500 and don't really like it as much as my G5.. Not sure why.. Might be because the G5 feels lighter/simpler? Maybe the way it feels in my hand.. Not sure.

http://www.act-labs.com/scripts/catdetails3.asp?catcode=funcacc

There's no equivalent for a funcpad, stick with what you know and get a replacement insert. ;)

As for a new mouse...can't help you there. That's something that you would ultimately decide on based on your style and comfort. Anyone here can tell you to get this and that because it's the best they mice they ever owned but you might feel the complete opposite. Go to a brick and mortar and see if they have any on display and go from there.

Last edited:
The G500 is a different shape and larger. If you palm grip or have large hands it may be worth looking at, otherwise forget it.

G400 is identical to the mx518 in size and shape, which is pretty much identical to the G5

G5 has a rough grip - G400 grip is smooth (some people find the side slippery tho)
G5 has a small amount of prediction - G400 has a fair bit of prediction
G5 has acceleration - G400 has no acceleration (a good thing)
G5 has relatively low force buttons imo - G400 buttons are a little stiff (personal taste, some like this)
G5 sensor placement is off-center - G400 sensor is centered (as it should be)
G5 laser - G400 optical

Aside from prediction, the G400 sensor is superior to the G5.

The G500 is a different shape and larger. If you palm grip or have large hands it may be worth looking at, otherwise forget it.

G400 is identical to the mx518 in size and shape, which is pretty much identical to the G5

G5 has a rough grip - G400 grip is smooth (some people find the side slippery tho)
G5 has a small amount of prediction - G400 has a fair bit of prediction
G5 has acceleration - G400 has no acceleration (a good thing)
G5 has relatively low force buttons imo - G400 buttons are a little stiff (personal taste, some like this)
G5 sensor placement is off-center - G400 sensor is centered (as it should be)
G5 laser - G400 optical

Aside from prediction, the G400 sensor is superior to the G5.

Really appreciate the comparison! Just what I was looking for :) I will probably get one from best buy and try it out just to make sure I like it.

http://www.act-labs.com/scripts/catdetails3.asp?catcode=funcacc

There's no equivalent for a funcpad, stick with what you know and get a replacement insert. ;)

It's funny because I remember getting my first Funcpad many many years ago. It's funny that today they're still pretty well regarded (as far as hard pads go)..

Thanks so much for that link!!

EDIT: just got a replacement pad for my Archetype :) THANKS!

EDIT2: NO :( Got a reply back from act-labs after ordering that their shipping dept. is closed for a month! :( Anyone know of another place I can order a replacement insert for the Archetype?

Sorry to advise that our shipping dept will be closed for a month from last Friday due to inventory reallocation, we will ship your order around Sept 20, we will charge the credit card when we are ready to ship.

Last edited:
About the mouse, I am a claw gripper too and I love the CM Storm Spawn mouse. Perfect grip as far as claw grip goes, light mouse and precise. I have yet to find any problem with the sensor too (coming from a Ikari Laser with faulty sensor).

Back