Illumos OmniOS Hardware support List.

N Bates

Limp Gawd
I have purchased new hardware to replace my current NAS build and stupid me, haven't considered the Illumos OmniOS hardware supported gear.

I have been probing around but haven't found a deffinitive list, my new hardware is as bellow, the NAS wil be used for home NAS file serving mainly for multimedia, plex, Emby etc...

Asrock EPYCD8
AMD EPYC 7251
Crucial 2 x 16 DDR4 single bank RDIMM
Corsair MP510 480GB nvme drive
Noctua NH U9 TR4/SP3 (two fan model)
Intel x540-T2

Not sure whether I should have gone for the EPYC7301 or the 7351 instead of the 7251 or stick with the 7251, but my main concern is whether the above lot is supported in Illumos OmniOS or not.

I would expect a good chance that it works with current Illlumos (current OI, OmniOS 151030 or bloody).
If not use ESXi and virtualize storage and other service systems

What about the processor, will the EPYC 7251 be OK, or should I consider the 7301 or the 7351?

Also, do I just export the pool, change hardware download the new OmniOS 151030 and import the pool? or would I be better off to upgrade from 151028 to 151030 then export, change hardware then import?

The proper way is a pool export and a pool import on the new server.
But import even works when you just move the disks without any prior actions.

Thank you _Gea, is it benificial to have a fast CPU in a NAS, or better just to have more RAM?

Disks are slow so ram caching is the key for performance (unless your pool is build from Intel Optane that are ultrafast even with low ram). For a high performance filer you may see a difference but in mostly CPU is less important and cpu frequency is more important than cores.

Great, I might as well keep the EPYC 7251 and buy more RAM, thanks for the info.

Back