Illuminated Bulgin Vandal Switch.... ?question?

but drill bits go by fractions so what would a 20mm hole be in fraction to know the size of the drill bit

JR_Rider said:
but drill bits go by fractions so what would a 20mm hole be in fraction to know the size of the drill bit

exactly.

anybody know?

Drill Bit Sizes: 7/8" drill bit is 22.2mm, a 13/16" bit is 20.6mm and a 3/4" bit is 19mm.

Depending on how much of a lip you have, I really don't think the .2mm more will cause any issues and the 7/8 bit will work. Without seeing it in person I couldn't tell you though. .2mm isnt alot at all hehe.

However, if you wanted to be on the safe sie you can go with the smaller 13/16" or 3/4 and use a round file to enlarge...

Just make sure you get the dimension of the hole needed, not the actual switch dimension. It should say in the instructions when you get it what the hole size should be.

I just pulled this off a chart on internet.... do a google search for "convert inches to mm" and you get a hand full of charts. Does that help any? :D

call my drill bit set cheap if you want but i dont have a 7/8 bit OR a 13/16 closest i have is a 7/16

7/16 is about 11.1mm

I got curious and took alook in my toolbox. I have a 7/8 but its the flat wood type. You would probably want the full round hollow bits for drilling cases. Or a full round bit.

Nothing a trip to home depot couldn't fix ^_^

thanks SelRahc :)

edit:
yeah, i just looked at my bits, and i dont have a 7/8 either. ill probally go to home depot and get a bit when the time comes.

thanks again.

I am not sure about your case, but I used to have Lian-Li PC 60 and it fit perfectly without making any adjustment. I just needed to take plastic switches and plates out.

I am sure pc60 and your case is very similar.

I have installed several bulgin switches. I use a 3/4" holesaw. After deburring of the edges the switch slide right in.

I am sure pc60 and your case is very similar.
no he's gettin a lian li and wants to put one in the power button AND the reset button so he would have to drill out the reset for it to fit

SelRahc said:
7/16 is about 11.1mm

... which I guess means he would need to drill the hole twice to get the right size?

Depending on the drill being used, you might have a hard time finding a 7/8" drill bit.

Someone mentioned a 7'8" flat (spade?) bit for drilling larger holes in wood. I've used these for running cables through my walls, and suspect that they will go though aluminium quite well, provided that the pilot "point" has someting to grip into (center punch the hole so the drill doesn't go "walking" over your case, and scratch the hell out of it.

Hole saw would work well as well.

if you need to buy a tool, you might as well go for a metric bit. You'll find a 22mm drill bit, but the 7/8" will probably be more common (== cheaper).

... which I guess means he would need to drill the hole twice to get the right size?
that has got to be the most idiotic thing i have ever heard.............i say just go to home depot and get a regular 7/8 drill bit and not those flat ones i know what they are but i think there more for wood and woulndt take that chance on a brand new lian li

JR_Rider said:
no he's gettin a lian li and wants to put one in the power button AND the reset button so he would have to drill out the reset for it to fit

a pc60 is a lian-li ;) (basically a pc65 without the window i beleive, not sure) but thats not the point...

oogie, if we are talking about the same ring'ed button, did the power button fit perfect with your case? if so, do you have pictures?

ill probally have to drill the reset button like JR_Rider said if i get two buttons.

dont even try to use a 7/8" spade to cut through the aluminum, you might get lucky but its asking for trouble. They're very difficult to get a clean cut on anything except wood. You will be needing either a 3/4" holesaw or a 7/8" high speed drill bit. The only problem with the 7/8" drill bit is that you usually need a 1/2" drill to use one and not the usual 3/8". Soo ya, holesaw's the word.

JR_Rider said:
that has got to be the most idiotic thing i have ever heard.............
.. and so is talking about 7/16" when he needs a 7/8". Do we care what you have in your bit drawer?

Bad_Boy - you are going to have a hard time finding a 7/8" drill bit. If you don't want to risk the 7/8" spade bit (the flat one), a small hole saw might work - but it is going to be expensive to get one desgned for metal, especially if you need the pilot bit as well.

You might be able to get away with a 7/16" bit to get the hole started, then finish it off with a metal hole reamer (think inverted xmas tree with an abrassive surface) to grind the hole out to your 22mm requirement. If you are going to be grinding like that, you might want to grab some lubricant as well, so things don't get too hot.

If this is a one off job, find a friendly machine shop, and have them cut it for you. The cost of the tools you are going to have to buy is going to make the $12 switch seem real cheap in comparison.

(BTW - Greetz from Chapel Hill)

thanks guys.
ill probally have to drill just for the reset button if oogie is right on the fitting of the power button. so ill probally look for a 3/4 hole saw or a 7/8 high speed drill bit when the time comes. (probally early september).

Token User said:
If this is a one off job, find a friendly machine shop, and have them cut it for you. The cost of the tools you are going to have to buy is going to make the $12 switch seem real cheap in comparison.
i dont mind cutting myself, i just want to get it perfect the first time ;) but i get what your saying with the price so ill see lol.

i can use a dremel also so i might just cut a smaller hole and smooth out the edges if needed.

Token User said:
(BTW - Greetz from Chapel Hill)
north carolina represent ;)

I have used my holesaw to put Bulgins in aluminum and magnesium cases - it was maybe $5 - not a bad investment.

They are not cheap, but step bits are the coolet most perfect way to make holes that size. Do a google search for "Step drill bit", or "Unibit" to see what I am talking about.

I got my step bit at Home Depot for like $20 or $30, I have other uses for it around the house too. Once you buy one, you won't regret it.

Back