• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

IL A1 chips... compatibility?

knopflerbruce

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
172
I grabbed some A1 Interlagos chips off ebay, just for fun. Has anyone tried these in any SM 4P boards? I too a chance, as the seller couldn't guarantee anything - though I find it strange if they work in the KGPE-D16 and not in any 4P SM boards.

Also, if there are issues, is it possible that putting a B-rev chip in socket 0 will solve everything?
 
with steppings a letter change means that multiple layers of silicon has been changed, so a and b chips are very different. I believe mobos won't even boot a1's anymore as they have been removed from the bios.
 
A1 chips are generally flaky. You may get a good one, you may get a bad one.

Statistically:
- stability issues with Tyan [vide: big NB watchdog timer thread]
- SM -- when they work, they work well

Not sure about ASUS.
 
It took a while, needed to get a new board. No stress test completed yet, but I tested 4 A1's (3x 1.6Ghz, 1x 1.8GHz) in a H8QGL-IF and the board POSTs just fine, seeing all 16 sticks of memory. Looking good!
 
It took a while, needed to get a new board. No stress test completed yet, but I tested 4 A1's (3x 1.6Ghz, 1x 1.8GHz) in a H8QGL-IF and the board POSTs just fine, seeing all 16 sticks of memory. Looking good!

wonder what they will do under ln2 :rolleyes:
I look forward to your submission :D
 
Not sure if it's really worth it to revive this thread once pr month, but anyway... Tested some chips in my ASUS KGPE-D16. They work... fairly well. Main issue seems to be memory (or maybe it's NB? Not sure). I can run any benchmark - no issues at all, with one exception... Hyperpi 32m with 16 threads. Now, a single 32m needs roughly 265mb or memory, so in total we're talking about 4.2GB RAM used. I tried to OC the CPUs by upping the multiplier, and though they clock worse than B1, nothing got less stable when running at 3GHz instead of 1.8.

From what I recall, f@h only needs about 2-2.5GB. If I'm lucky, I can still fold. I do have a Tyan S8812 coming my way, too - will test when it arrives. I'll also reduce the # of channels on this ASUS, and try the inner set of slots tomorrow. Would be great if these worked... great performance for the cost. I can't find a used 3930k for the price I paid for 4 pieces... :)

Maybe I need ECC sticks? Just using random desktop sticks. Fully stable on MC and the B1 4P that's been running for months already.
 
I gain stability by dropping channels and lowering the clocks, but nmothing is fully stable. Maybe I need some proper ECC ram...
 
I will... but thought this thread would be interesting for others as well, as teh A1's are usually cheap :)

Anyway, I noticed something interesting that I forgot to post. When I set frequencies in PSCheck (I use Win 7/Server 2k8 for benchmarking and stuff) the settings got applied as stock frequencies - the POST screen said 32 cores and 3.2GHz. I expected these changes to be changed while loading windows at best. It doesn't seem like Magny Cours behaves the same way... unless I accidentally did something in PSCheck.
 
10-4 they are incredibly quirky chips.

Not sure if I tried them with ecc
I have some that I can try.
 
And if I'm not mistaken, you never got these to work 100%, right? :p I don't think I'll buy these again.
 
Correct... I have suggested everyone stay far away from them...
some have listened... :D

Doesn't mean I don't have a handful of them...
 
I've got 4 or 5. Didn't pay alot, though... about $400 for all of them. Maybe they work in the S8812 I bought a few days ago.
 
Back
Top