• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ikea Galant Accessories Help

Fester

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
85
Hello,

I'm apparently the most indecisive person in the world. I just bought a 63" Galant (Birch color) Ikea desk. I'm needing some help selecting a few matching birch pieces to go with it.

1) A drawer unit (or just a stand) to sit my Canon MP980 printer on. I noticed the Goliat drawer unit was only $34.99, but it has a veneer "effect". How different of a color would that be? I like the Galant drawer unit but I just can't rationalize spending $160 to get a birch veneer.

2) A monitor stand. I can't decide on whether to use a 43" Lack or 46" EKBY Jarpen shelf as the stand. The Lack is an extra 1" thick but it has that birch "effect.

3) This might not be something I can find at Ikea. I'm looking for a computer holder on wheels so I can slide out the CPU when I need to mess with it. A handle on the contraption would be nice, but not necessary. If the CPU holder is wood, I'd like it to be birch. CPU specs are about 10" width and 19" length.

Any help or advice on any one of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
I'm also interested in suggestions made for this topic.

This topic seems like the thought I'd have after I find a weekend to drive to the nearest Ikea after getting tons of Galant suggestions in this thread.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice, I also purchased a birch Galant and a bunch of accessories recently.

1) I did opt for the drawer unit. It was a little pricey but I liked the lockable "hidden" drawers and it matches the desk perfectly. The Goliat seems to represent a better value if you don't need the features of the drawer unit, but from the pics I've seen it seems to match the beech more than the birch.

I also liked the Vika Alex and would have gotten one if it came in a color other than white. It has nicely sized drawers that slide really smoothly.

2) One of the Galants that was set up in the store I visited had a monitor stand made out of one of the Galant half-round pieces (same one you can buy to go on the end of the desk). You can take that half-round extension piece and buy three little metal legs from somewhere else in the store to make a great looking monitor stand. That's what's so great about the Galant products; everything's modular!

3) I did see one of those under one of the Expedit desks that they had assembled. I can't remember if it was made from metal or wood, but I remember seeing a fake CPU tower on a little shelf that sat on the floor, and you could roll it out.
 
@imyourzero,

1) I'm still struggling to rationalize some a large expenditure. I probably will just wait until I'm there to make up my mind about that. I don't actually need the filing cabinets. A 20ish" high square in birch veneer would be good enough for me.

2) Thank you for the advice. I need a rectangular piece to fit all my stuff on. I'm going with a 46" EKBY Jarpen birch veneer. I'm not screwing the legs into the Galant desk though, I don't have those skills not to screw it up, lol.

3) Thanks for the heads up. I'm googling it now to see if I can get anymore information on it. I know I could just look around the store but I'm the type of person that likes to know what I want before I go to the store.

Thanks again.
 
Well, I went ahead and bought the $160 birch filing cabinet. Man I've spent around $500 now for this desk and accessories.

OF COURSE, Ikea was out of EKBY Jarpen birch shelfs so I get to go back tomorrow.
 
Well, after calling customer serivce and speaking to a few people I've come to the conclusion that their customer service is on par with McCdonalds and Wal-Mart.

I will not be buying anything from the ever again.
 
I've had good customer service at Walmart. :p And also Ikea, actually (I first bought the black/brown desk and returned it for the birch -- hassle free and they didn't even give me a hard time that the box for the "L" section was all ripped up from trying to fit it in my trunk).

What happened?
 
Back
Top