IIS -vs- Apache?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Just wondering what the difference is between them? I am running IIS now just for the hell of it and it works fine. Over 8 months and no problems.

Second Question
C/inetpub directory is specific to what service in windows? IIS only or other things? I see folders in Inetpub called:

- admin scripts
- badmail
- iissamples
- mailroot
- scripts

I have no understanding for any of these folders?

carloswill said:
I have no understanding for any of these folders?

IIS by default installs things like a FTP server... might want to double check to make sure you are only running the services you need/want.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/iis/6/all/proddocs/en-us/gs_installingiis.mspx

IIS installs the following directories:

\InetPub
systemroot\Help\IISHelp
systemroot\System32\InetSrv
systemroot\System32\InetSrv\MetaBack

These directories contain user content and cannot be moved. You can, however, select the location of your Wwwroot and Ftproot directories at installation by using a script during unattended setup. If you uninstall IIS, the IISHelp directory is removed. The InetPub and InetSrv directories remain on your computer.

Some of the other folders are for the SMTP server that (I believe) is also part of default install. It's been a while since I've done an IIS install, so things may be different currently, but double check your docs and your running services.

Which do you feel is better? IIS or Apache? I am leaning more towards Apache so I am not limited to Windows for web hosting.

I know Apache is built into Linux so wanted to give that a shot.

carloswill said:
Which do you feel is better? IIS or Apache? I am leaning more towards Apache so I am not limited to Windows for web hosting.

I know Apache is built into Linux so wanted to give that a shot.

It's a matter of personal preference.
I use Apache because my servers are *nix, if I had a Window Server Enviroment, I might take another look at IIS. I would still lean towards Apache because it's what I know and am comfortable securing.

Read the docs, play around a bit, find what works for your enviroment.

IIS has historically been insecure and prone to bugs and exploits. I believe that M$ finally got their shit together with IIS5 and it's stable and for the most part exploit free.

Apache on the other hand has almost always been stable and exploit free.

Mind you no one really knows about exploits until someone stumbles across them so...one or the other could be waiting for a fall but that could be said of any software really.

As far as I know Apache is faster than IIS but that would only really matter if you were hosting a huge web site. I'm not sure how Apache vs. IIS would flesh out on a Windows box tho.

I've got an IIS6 server where I work at. If you have a webmaster that gets addicted to using asp, you're stuck with it. I will give it credit for being stable, I've had to reboot it once in the past 15 months or so because of a config change, and it's uptime in between was over 9 months w/out a reboot. If I had a choice though, I'd go with apache, it gives you more flexability to move to a different OS in the future.

sandmanx said:
I've got an IIS6 server where I work at. If you have a webmaster that gets addicted to using asp, you're stuck with it. I will give it credit for being stable, I've had to reboot it once in the past 15 months or so because of a config change, and it's uptime in between was over 9 months w/out a reboot. If I had a choice though, I'd go with apache, it gives you more flexability to move to a different OS in the future.

LOL That's about what our shop is about. Our external web pages are ASP and IIS6 while our internal web pages are all written in PERL (I think) and hosted on an Apache server. :D

Apache is a little more tricky to get up and running but generally is more stable and secure then IIS.

Mostly it's a matter of personal prefrence. On my Linux servers I use Apache, on my Windows box I run IIS (not a big site, don't bite my head off :p )

Apache all the way. Granted I've never missed with IIS. I run apache on my FreeBSD box. Pretty easy to get up and going imo.

reboot once in 15 months? you mean windows patches dont require rebooting now? wha???

LadyJaqie said:
reboot once in 15 months? you mean windows patches dont require rebooting now? wha???

It's a Windows 2003 Web Server edition, and most patches don't require a reboot. Windows 2003 also has a lot less patches coming out for it than previous Windows OSes. I think this is mainly due to the fact they took that extra year to "secure" it better. It was originally slated for a 2002 release.

Ya, not alot of the patches I have installed on my SBS box have required a reboot, including most of the service packs. They can just restart the services that are affected, for the most part.

WEEEEEELLLL

i would tell you what i think of IIS except i never got it to fucking work. :rolleyes:

apache worked the first time and had a 9 month uptime on my server with it until a power outage :cool:

Back