IIS Virtual Directory

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, first time post in this subsection. I usually hang out in Networking.

So I run IIS8 on my home webserver and I'm wanting to allow public downloads of a subfolder. I have a physical folder on the server with directory browsing on and it works great for letting others download files from the webserver. Problem is, I have about 150GB of files that I want to share, but I don't want to physically put them on the server. I want to keep them on my Synology NAS where they are backed up and redundant. I created a virtual directory pointing to this share and when I test the username nad password it works great, and through IIS manager it lets me browse the directory. The problem is when you access it via the site, I get this:

Code:
Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

I've tried googling it, but can't find anything on how to get it to work.

Permissions issue? Does the IIS User account from the server have read access to the folder on the shared drive? Or you could use authentication in IIS for that directory and have it authenticate with an account that does have access to the directory...

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense... been out on the lake for 8hours and I'm tired as shit. I'll try to remember to check back tomorrow morning when I get into the office.

Permissions issue? Does the IIS User account from the server have read access to the folder on the shared drive? Or you could use authentication in IIS for that directory and have it authenticate with an account that does have access to the directory...

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense... been out on the lake for 8hours and I'm tired as shit. I'll try to remember to check back tomorrow morning when I get into the office.

Well I created a local user account on the server that matches one on the NAS and I gave the virtual directory those credentials and it tested fine, but browsing to the site gives me that error. The NAS isn't on a domain so I'd have to create matching user accounts on the server and the NAS. How would I find the password and username for the IIS account so I could recreate it on the NAS?

I'm trying to do this because I could just setup FTP to the NAS, but I don't want people trying to download my whole directory at once using an FTP client and trying up my bandwidth for a day or two.

Can remote into the server or a console session and go to your webpage. That will give you a more definitive error message than the generic one.

Booyah. I got it fixed. So what I had to do was create the virtual directory, give it credentials of a user that is on the NAS and then I had to right-click the Virtual-Directory and select convert to Application. I also had to go to the app pool and change it from .net4 to .net2. After that it works great.

Last edited:
Back