IIS disaster recovery

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
No, my IIS server has not crashed on me, its still running fine. But it has now gotten to the point where manually recreating each website would be unbearable if it did crash. I'm looking for a way to backup the whole configuration so if the whole thing goes up in flames, I can drop the backups of the directories on a new server, restore the config from the backup in question, and be up and running in a matter of minutes.

The server runs MySQL, PHP, and ASP enabled pages. The MySQL databases get backed up nightly, so thats taken care of, and the PHP config file gets backed up whenever it gets updated. ASP just plain works, so nothing special there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Get a program by the name of Veritas Backup Exec, or Retrospect and simply backup the whole server.

The program will automaticly backup any changed files on the server every day after that.

No fuss no muss.. if your server dies, restore the backup and your good to go.

EndersGame said:
Get a program by the name of Veritas Backup Exec, or Retrospect and simply backup the whole server.

The program will automaticly backup any changed files on the server every day after that.

No fuss no muss.. if your server dies, restore the backup and your good to go.

I use Veritas. There has got to be a better way than just backing up the whole server. Not to mention the nightmare of finding similar hardware so Windows doesn't puke when I restore.

ktwebb said:
OK. Have you even tried any of these things before firing off a smart ass reply? The first doesn't work, as its a site by site backup (labor intensive) and has the same problem as the second, the second doesn't work because it was meant to backup/restore to the exact same server in case you fucked something up and won't restore to a different server, and I'm doing a combination of the third and fourth right now and its somewhat cumbersome to restore after a disaster. Next time you feel like showing off how intelligent you are, please feel free to make sure you know what the hell you're talking about first.

Backup/Restoration of an IIS6 configuration (metabase) is supposedly doable. In theory we should be able to backup a server's configuration site-by-site. At least according to the book I purchased for work. I've been working on a solution for a little while now and it ain't fun. It's actually a bit of a bitch. I don't yet have a full fledged solution and have been working on it on and off for a little while now.

When I get to work I'll see what form of notes I can pull up and hand off to you.

Hey ktwebb, screw you for pulling out that 'google is t3h w1n!" shit. That page doesn't say anything he couldn't come up with himself. This is a pretty annoying problem, and the documentation is there but it's not as complete as MS or the community would lead you to believe.

Backing up the metabase is easy. So is backing up individual sites.

I haven't done a metabase restore, but I did a site backup and restore and it worked flawlessly. I'm sure you could set up a scheduled task to execute some vb script that would cycle through and export all the sites.

da sponge said:
Backing up the metabase is easy. So is backing up individual sites.

I haven't done a metabase restore, but I did a site backup and restore and it worked flawlessly. I'm sure you could set up a scheduled task to execute some vb script that would cycle through and export all the sites.

Backing up the metabase IS easy...restoring it is not. Unless you have a server that is identical to the one that died in the fire, you're going to have problems. And saving the site as an XML file, while a neat idea, in practice falls short sometimes. I'd rather just take the whole metabase and restore it all at once.

Back