`ihs removed. need advice

codegrinder

[H]ard|Gawd
i picked up a dual core 920 or 930 for free with the ihs removed. ive got a mobo for it to go in. only question i have is how do you put a heatsink on it with out crushing the two cores?

codegrinder said:
i picked up a dual core 920 or 930 for free with the ihs removed. ive got a mobo for it to go in. only question i have is how do you put a heatsink on it with out crushing the two cores?

Hmm.... well, having worked with mobile chips that have the IHS removed I can tell you that they are pretty durable. I would suggest clamping down opposing sides of the heat sink at the same time to be safe..... really though, these things are fairly tough.

on the dual core cpu's, where are the core's located in relation to the entire chip?

On single cores, the core is right in the middle..

Care to take a pic?

It depends... there are 2 types of dual core design. One has both cores on a single die, and the other has 2 seperate dies. You could probably google it and fine some pics.

Eh... I ain't doing shit today... here you go. :D

conroe.jpg

The are NOT exposed are they? Meaning that thin black film is still on there correct? I've removed heat spreaders for fun and have found that they are a total bitch to get off without damaging the chip. If there is ANY damage to the package you might not want to use it.

Check it for damage....the pic isn't real clear. If there isn't anything that seems out of place then go for it.

yeah it's a terrible pic but they certainly don't look flat...I don't think it's in very good shape.

on a side note, how in the world would an unlidded lga775 work? How would it stay held in the socket? Somehow I'm not sure that an unlidded one would work period, regardless of condition. Remember that on LGA775 the spreader is actually used to hold the cpu against the mobo pins, unlike the current AMD's where it's held by the ZIF socket.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
yeah it's a terrible pic but they certainly don't look flat...I don't think it's in very good shape.

on a side note, how in the world would an unlidded lga775 work? How would it stay held in the socket? Somehow I'm not sure that an unlidded one would work period, regardless of condition. Remember that on LGA775 the spreader is actually used to hold the cpu against the mobo pins, unlike the current AMD's where it's held by the ZIF socket.
To pop the top on those you ahv to heat the tourched with a solder iron or a tourched before lifetin it up as it is soldered on. People have sucessfully popped the tops and I believe their is still enough tension to keep the chip in position.

Back