IHS removal 3800X2 (939)

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a used 3800 X2 and I am looking to remove the IHS. Is a shim a must after this? I plan on running the stock heatpipe AMD heatsink that I have becuase of my hieght limitations. Also will the heatsink still make good enough contact after removing the thickness of the IHS? Wasnt sure if anything needs to be done to the stock mounting bracket.

gonna be iffy as to whether the stock heatsink retention mechanism will make good contact without a little umm manipulation to the tension on it. Gotta be careful not to over do it, for the stock heatsink I don't think the trouble and risk would be worth it to be honest.

I removed the IHS from an Opteron and found that I had to tweak the heatsink retention mech to get good contact. Basically had to shave/sand down the height of the bracket a bit.
After all that work, I got a 2-3 degree temp drop and no better overclocks. In my case, it wasn't worth it.
My $0.02

I hear ya... maybe lapping is in order... the cpu im getting is scratched along the edges and even tho I have not seen it I wonder if I will have an issue with heat.

I want to remove the IHS off my 4200+ in the worst way, but I have no way of knowing if its soldered to the core like newer AM2 chips are.

It probably isn't worth it due to the risk, but every little bit helps.

Older Socket 939 processors have all removable IHS; i remove them by using an exactoknife :D

Why would you remove the IHS if you're going to use a stock cooler? That's a pretty big waste, imo (and asking for trouble when it comes to mounting/worrying about chipping the core). What the motivation for the IHS removal? I have mine removed, but I also use watercooling which screws onto the processor, so while it's still not entirely safe (kick the computer hard enough I'm sure something might chip off), it's easy to mount safely due to the screw-on application. Plus, I have an Opteron 165 and we all know the Opterons are known for producing heat like Pentium4s. :p Every X2 3800+ I've played with has ran painfully cool.

In all honesty, you're better off to snag a copper AMD heatsink off eBay, or some fancy aircooling from Thermalright or someone else. You'll get the same temp drops, but it'll be a much better (safer?) rig all around.

IHS removal is good since it does cool better, but you should be aware of the issues before you go hacking it off.

This is a low profile case with very little room. I have the stock AMD heatpipe heatsink which isnt a bad heatsink at all. I dont see why it matters if im using a stock heatsink or not.. if removing the IHS provides better contact and better temps. I have a feeling with the video compression i will be doing that this CPU will be held at 100% for about 2-3 hours at a time and if removing the IHS is the difference between overheating and not overheating I will do it. I will do a slight OC from 2ghz to 2.4ghz but only if it will do this at stock voltage which ive had many 3800X2 do with very little difference in temps.

Edit: Is trimming the socket bracket to put more force on the cpu needed?

why don't you try it first, and undervolt it rather than risk taking off the IHS?
my 3800+ runs at 1.2 volts at 2.4 and never gets above like 40c.

Yes, you have to grind down the feet on the bottom of the top retention bracket to compensate for the loss of height once the IHS is gone.

Back